Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2017 9:10:34 PM EDT
Considering a trip to Grand Lake / RMNP this summer. We have been to RMNP, but not Grand Lake. Is it a nice town to visit?

Also, are all mags restricted to 15rds in CO? Anything else I should know? Have a NE ccw.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the tacked thread. The state man ban doesn't apply if you owned the magazine(s) prior to July 1, 2013. The City of Denver has a mag ban prohibiting any magazines that hold more than 20 rounds with exemptions for .22 rimfire and LE.

If you are flying in to Denver, DIA is in the City of Denver. For the state ban, the burden of proof is on LE to prove that you obtained the mags after the ban went into effect.

Yes, Grand Lake is a nice town to visit. You can go through RMNP starting on the Estes Park side and drive over to the Grand Lake side through the park but you will need to make sure the road is open.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#2]
He got your covered. I will add if you drive thru rmnp get a full tank before you start. The tourists cause traffic jams to get a selfie with an elk than can last an hour.

Bring summer and winter gear and extra water.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys. Great info. Appreciate the replies.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Grand Lake is pretty touristy.

Depending on your tastes, just South of Grand Lake is Shadow Mountain Lake. Much better in my opinion. At the South end of the lake, just off 34 there are five or six small islands that are off limits most of the summer. They are osprey breeding habitat. We've spent a lot of time watching the osprey fish and feed their young. Although you are not allowed to set foot on the islands, you can boat around them and see the birds up close.

Also near the Pine Beach Picnic Site you can leap across the Colorado River. Excellent place to photograph all kinds of water birds. Moose frequent this area so be careful. Just South of the Pine Beach site is a really nice picnic area. When we were there a couple years ago the Park Service had built a nesting platform at the end of the parking lot. My wife has got some amazing pictures of the young osprey being fed.

If you want any more input or a couple pics email me.

Vic.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you. We actually had a change of plans and are now heading to Keystone. Will be there in early August. Same time as the beer festival, apparently.

ETA:

So is there anywhere that I am not allowed to carry concealed in CO with my NE permit?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#6]
K-12 schools. Fed property. Any building with security and metal detectors in place to block it.

The signs are un enforceable. No carry with any alcohol in your system

Handgunlaw.us

Look it up too. Don't take our word for it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top