Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2017 2:14:28 AM EDT
It looks like there is a very good possibility I will be relocating to the Denver area soon. Workplace is in Englewood, south of the tech center, close to E-470 and I25.  I really prefer to live close to work.

Wife, two kids (7th and 8th grader).  Parker, Heritage Hills, Castle Rock all okay to search for a house?  

I hate shoveling snow. Snow blower worth the investment?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#1]
All 3 places are GTG. No snowblower needed so far this year. But I make money pushing snow.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds like you've got two built in snow shovelers

i'd suggest wait until you get where you're going to be--if you have a short driveway and not a ton of sidewalk, you may not need a thrower.  if you wind up with a longer driveway, a corner lot, etc., you may want one.  some pockets of douglas county get more snow that metro denver--so you may have greater exposure.

are you physically able to shovel?  do you have the time to do it?   i'd estimate in my neighborhood (between Greenwood Village and Centennial) about 15% of the folks have throwers.  i don't, but always think i'll get one, and as you get older, they sure become more attractive.   but, i've got 50' of sidewalk and a two-car driveway not a ton longer than a car's length.  

try one winter without it and see what you think.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I give my neighbor a 6 pack of his favorite beer every time it snows and he snowblows my driveway and sidewalks for me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sounds like you've got two built in snow shovelers

i'd suggest wait until you get where you're going to be--if you have a short driveway and not a ton of sidewalk, you may not need a thrower.  if you wind up with a longer driveway, a corner lot, etc., you may want one.  some pockets of douglas county get more snow that metro denver--so you may have greater exposure.

are you physically able to shovel?  do you have the time to do it?   i'd estimate in my neighborhood (between Greenwood Village and Centennial) about 15% of the folks have throwers.  i don't, but always think i'll get one, and as you get older, they sure become more attractive.   but, i've got 50' of sidewalk and a two-car driveway not a ton longer than a car's length.  

try one winter without it and see what you think.
View Quote

Thanks. You're right.

I just hate shoveling. I was born and raised in Florida. That white shit that falls from the sky is a pain in the ass to me. I'll live in it and drive in it, but moving it out of my way sux!
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Another factor is which way your house faces.   If it faces south, you get a lot of help from the sun.  If it faces north, or is shady, far less so

There's a lady in her 60s across the stree from me that shovels.   There a guy pushing 80 two houses down that shovels.   My next door neighbor is in his 40s, and he uses a thrower.   Do you need one?   Not really.  This isn't buffalo or Chicago or the U.P.   Whether you want one is an entirely different story

For instance, so far this year, all there's been has been dry snow.  You can actually sweep it off with a broom.  Now, in March and April that wet snow will be a whole different story
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It looks like there is a very good possibility I will be relocating to the Denver area soon. Workplace is in Englewood, south of the tech center, close to E-470 and I25.  I really prefer to live close to work.

Wife, two kids (7th and 8th grader).  Parker, Heritage Hills, Castle Rock all okay to search for a house?  

I hate shoveling snow. Snow blower worth the investment?

Thanks!
View Quote

Just a point of clarification.  Englewood is not south of the Tech Center and is not really close to E-470 & I-25
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just a point of clarification.  Englewood is not south of the Tech Center and is not really close to E-470 & I-25
View Quote

True, but businesses down in Inverness and Meridian have Englewood addresses
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I worked for quite a while at a business that had an Englewood address south of the Tech Center.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I noticed it and was questioning myself too though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I live in the tech center and have a Englewood address and share the same zip (80111) as Greenwood Village....part of DTC is in unincorporated Arapahoe County and not "Englewood" per say.  It confused the hell out of me when I first moved here..... Whenever I have a tradesman or delivery guy come over I have to tell him it's the DTC Englewood.

ETA I would say get a snowblower...not a shitty one but a decent gas powered one.  Sure you may not "need it" but it's nice to have, especially after you've worked a long day and have to come home and shovel snow.  Yeah it may be power but 8 inches of powdery snow is still a bitch to shovel...or maybe I'm just lazy (truth).  But in all seriousness there's always a good dumping of snow later in the year and it's heavy and wet, like you find out east.  After shoveling said heavy wet snow for most of my life snowblower FTW
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]
With 7th and 8th grade kids you shouldn't have to worry about shoveling snow for at least 5 years.

Don't buy a house that faces north.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 2:35:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My aunt lives in Greenwood village which is south of the tech center, it too has an Englewood mailing address.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 2:38:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Another factor is which way your house faces.   If it faces south, you get a lot of help from the sun.  If it faces north, or is shady, far less so

There's a lady in her 60s across the stree from me that shovels.   There a guy pushing 80 two houses down that shovels.   My next door neighbor is in his 40s, and he uses a thrower.   Do you need one?   Not really.  This isn't buffalo or Chicago or the U.P.   Whether you want one is an entirely different story

For instance, so far this year, all there's been has been dry snow.  You can actually sweep it off with a broom.  Now, in March and April that wet snow will be a whole different story
View Quote

I have evergreen trees in my front yard and my driveway faces the northeast. My neighbors across the street have driveways that stay clear and dry. They've broken out the snowblower only a couple times, whereas I have to nearly every snow or it just melts long enough to turn into ice overnight.   The trees which the prior owner planted for privacy really amplify the problem.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Englewood is weird - there's a hunk that's around the Hampden and Santa Fe area and then there's another hunk south of the Tech Center going down to around I-25 and Lincoln.

OP is looking at a job in the SE hunk which has some big office campuses and the residences are definitely more upscale than in the northwest hunk of Englewood. The NW portion of Englewood is quite different from the SE part.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just a point of clarification, it kinda is.  

My shop is 8484 S Valley Highway, Englewood, CO 80112.

Anything right around here is actually unincorporated Douglas County.  For some reason it gets tagged Englewood.  But the nice thing is sales tax right here is 5%.  

ETA: Sorry for the dogpile, I should have kept reading.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok, perhaps we can put this issue to rest. Just because you might have an USPS Englewood address/zip code, does not necessarily mean you are within the actual city limits. Direct from Englewood's web Site:

There is some confusion about which Zip Codes are actually within Englewood's jurisdiction, as the U.S. Postal Service has designated some areas in Sheridan, Greenwood Village, Centennial, Cherry Hills Village, unincorporated Arapahoe County, and unincorporated Douglas County with Englewood mailing addresses,

The following list indicates Englewood Zip Codes and the areas they actually cover:

Zip Codes

80150 and 80151:  City of Englewood’s Main Post Office and Annex Post Office (i.e. Post Office Boxes)
80110 and 80113:  City of Englewood, City of Sheridan, and City of Cherry Hills Village
80111 and 80112:  Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Unincorporated Douglas County, City of Cherry Hills Village, City of Greenwood Village and City of Centennial

And here is a map of the actual boundaries, which  are not south of the Tech Center and not really close to E-470 & I-25.

OP, sorry for the thread hijack. I hope the job thing is going well and be sure and let us know if you move here.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#17]
As I mentioned in my post Englewood means different things.  If you take a look where you will work (if in the tech center) and then look at the zip codes for Greenwood village that will give you an accurate price for housing.  The city of Englewood is cheaper to live in and farther away.  The portion of Englewood in unincorporated Arapahoe county near Greenwood Village (we share the same zip code) is by far more expensive.  Our neighbor just sold his house for $1.2M which is great for our house value....is it worth it?  No comment :)

And also as I mentioned this is confusing as fuck.  I had to ask a friend who is a Greenwood Village police officer about all this.  As a side the streets around my house are Greenwood Village but my house is served by Arapahoe Co Sheriff, although I see GV police in my neighborhood waiting at the stop sign to grab people who don't stop.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#18]
If you have the space to store it, and can afford it, buy a snow blower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top