Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2016 11:32:08 PM EDT
So I submitted my CO CCW application the other week (about a week ago), and now I'm waiting.  I was told up to 90 days by the sheriff, but I have a few quick questions.

1) Is that time accurate?
2) How might I track my application?
3) How will I be notified?  As far as I know, my first notice will be my permit in the mailbox.
4) Any tips?
5) I'm still looking for a holster.  Lefty IWB glock holster.  Any suggestions?

EDIT:  El Paso County.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#1]
How about you tell us which county you applied in? That would be a good place to start.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:49:09 PM EDT
[#2]
El Paso.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:12:58 AM EDT
[#3]
By law they have 90 days to approve or deny your application.  When I applied several years ago, mine was approved around the 90 day mark but I had to wait another week or two until I got a call that it was ready to be picked up. Not El Paso though.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:23:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about you tell us which county you applied in? That would be a good place to start.
View Quote

yes 90 days is average.

# 3 :  Someone from the sheriffs office will contact you.

# 4 : be patient, everyone want's their permit ASAP. Unfortunately the state / County sheriff dept's seem to allocate 1 possibly 2 people to handle the overwhelming applications.

http://www.hbartactical.com/

For a holster i'd try this guy. He's a CO resident, does nice work, casual guy and most of all decent turn around time.  He is a 1 man small business. I have 2 IWB's, clip style and 1 pancake high ride . My daily is the IWB for the J frame. Think the spouse has absconded the G26 IWB

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:43:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not call them and ask how long they think it will take?? 719-520-7249

I found this posted on their site:

*All Concealed Handgun Permits with Sheriff Maketa’s signature are still valid until the expiration date.  If you would like a new permit with Sheriff Elder’s signature on it, please call 719-520-7249.*

I wonder why! LOL!!

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:38:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I submitted my application in Montezuma County in early December. It was six weeks nearly to the day until it was in my mail box. Seemed like it took forever, but there was Christmas and New Years holidays in the middle of that wait time.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I applied for mine in Elbert County 1 month ago, just received the call today to come pick it up...

No a bad turnaround..
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, Elbert county has been around 30 - 45 days for most of us.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I know Adams county is one of the counties that takes the full 90. I got mine in late 2007 and it was the case even then. When I renewed it was a MUCH easier process. I also moved at one point within the county and an address change was problem free. Seems some of these counties want to make it a bit more difficult than others, then again the workload may actually take 90 days.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:58:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I originally got my permit in 1995 (yes that's correct) in El Paso County. They were issuing them a long time before the current state law was implemented.

I  moved to Pueblo West in 2005 and was told as long as I remain a resident of Colorado I'm welcome to keep renewing my permit with them in El Paso County.  Of course if I wanted to get one from Pueblo County I could but I would have to start from scratch and apply for a whole new permit. Something to keep in mind if you move within the state.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I originally got my permit in 1995 (yes that's correct) in El Paso County. They were issuing them a long time before the current state law was implemented.

I  moved to Pueblo West in 2005 and was told as long as I remain a resident of Colorado I'm welcome to keep renewing my permit with them in El Paso County.  Of course if I wanted to get one from Pueblo County I could but I would have to start from scratch and apply for a whole new permit. Something to keep in mind if you move within the state.
View Quote

Actually I think you lost the ability to renew in any county other than your county of residence under a bill passed a year or two ago.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:27:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Actually I think you lost the ability to renew in any county other than your county of residence under a bill passed a year or two ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks! I'll have to look into it well before my next renewal. Don't want to have to go without.

Thanks for the heads up.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That sucks! I'll have to look into it well before my next renewal. Don't want to have to go without.

Thanks for the heads up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up.

Correct. Your mailing address is now or has been your county to renew your permit at. It's all there info wise at any county sheriffs web site.

Due to House Bill 14-1166 that went into effect March 14, 2014, you must submit a concealed handgun permit application (new and renewal) to the county sheriff's office where you reside, own property, or own a business.

Also you can apply for renewal up to 120 days before expiration.

It is the applicant's responsibility to submit for renewal of concealed handgun permit within 120-days before the expiration date on the permit card.  If your permit is more than six months expired you must begin the process with a new application, to include submitting the $100 new application fee.

FWIW: We've had our permits since 90 Wayyy back when. Like you weld was one of 2-3 counties that had Sensible Sheriffs.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#14]
a few years back,  when i applied i got mine in about 2 weeks. I was really surprised.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I submitted mine in El Paso mid December and got it in the mail about a week and a half ago so it took about 6 weeks for me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I know Adams county is one of the counties that takes the full 90. I got mine in late 2007 and it was the case even then. When I renewed it was a MUCH easier process. I also moved at one point within the county and an address change was problem free. Seems some of these counties want to make it a bit more difficult than others, then again the workload may actually take 90 days.
View Quote
This 100%.  Some counties give a shit about getting it back to you and some take as long as they possible can

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:29:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Correct. Your mailing address is now or has been your county to renew your permit at. It's all there info wise at any county sheriffs web site.

Due to House Bill 14-1166 that went into effect March 14, 2014, you must submit a concealed handgun permit application (new and renewal) to the county sheriff's office where you reside, own property, or own a business.

It is the applicant's responsibility to submit for renewal of concealed handgun permit within 120-days before the expiration date on the permit card.  If your permit is more than six months expired you must begin the process with a new application, to include submitting the $100 new application fee.

FWIW: We've had our permits since 90 Wayyy back when. Like you weld was one of 2-3 counties that had Sensible Sheriffs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up.

That's cool! I wasn't even old enough to legally purchase a handgun in 1990!

I checked into this and it's not like it used to be. Used to be if you changed counties you had to go through the whole process again from scratch and get a new permit. Now they have it to where  your current permit can be renewed in a different county than originally issued. The only reason I kept it in EPCO was I didn't want to have to start over. Looks like they actually made a law that makes sense (for once)

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:54:43 AM EDT
[#18]
It took mine about 30-40 days to be approved and get the call but then again, mine is from Mesa County.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#19]
If you don't already have it by now, you should soon.  It's not going to take 90 days unless there is a problem.  In El Paso county it fluctuates a little but you're looking at about 6 weeks.  

90 day wait is not "average".  90 days is the legal amount of time that the Sheriff's office has.  Legally past that time, you can demand that they give you the permit while they finish processing the application.

Don't bug them, they will get it processed as soon as they can.  Bugging them about it isn't going to help.  

I like my G-code Incog holster for my glock 19.  Worn nothing else for the last 2 years.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#20]
It's all good, I got mine after almost exactly two months.  Thanks for following up though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top