Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2015 1:54:51 PM EDT
The wife and I are retired and feed up with Houston. Looking at a home in Jefferson County. It is on Stagestop Road. Anyone live in that area?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The wife and I are retired and feed up with Houston. Looking at a home in Jefferson County. It is on Stagestop Road. Anyone live in that area?
View Quote

Stagestop Road in Jefferson is in Park County, zip code 80456.  Is that what you're looking at?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson,_Colorado
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Stagestop Road in Jefferson is in Park County, zip code 80456.  Is that what you're looking at?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Not too far from Stagestop store and saloon

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3588+Stagestop+Rd,+Jefferson,+CO+80456/@39.2562561,-105.728008,504m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x876b1f0c8ed830ff:0x8da2b54da8d939
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
You do realize that's up in the mountains, don't you?  It's not Jefferson County, it's in or near the town of Jefferson in Park County, SW of Denver.

ETA: Heck, it's as close to Como as it is to Jefferson.  Not far from Fair Play, that's rather high elevation.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been fishing up in that area a few times.   That is going to be a hell of a change from Houston, probably worth a drive up to see that area.  It is beautiful up there this time of year!
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to be in that area, assuming that you mean the Stage Stop in Park County (which has a mailing address of Jefferson) and not the Stage Stop that's somewhere south of Boulder.

It's pretty remote.

The air is thin up there. Altitude something like 9-10K feet. Winter comes early and sticks around, and the wind will probably make you think of Wyoming.

I would rent for a year before buying if you can find something, just to experience both winter and fire season before you're actually committed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]
No familiarity with the area but drink a ton of water and take it easy for a few days/weeks if you move up here. The altitude messes with your body and it takes a little while to adjust.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#7]
My family has property up in that area of Park County.  It's roughly 70 miles to Denver and 15 miles to Fairplay.  Stagestop is probably 8-10 miles in off 285 on County Road 77/Tarryall Road.  Winters aren't a joke up in Park County.  285 frequently gets closed in that area due to snow combined with high wind, icing, and low visibility.  Fairplay has a grocery store and hardware store and is a nice little mountain community, but you will probably need to drive to Denver every few weeks anyway.

Sign up for CDOT's text message alerts on cotrip.org if you want to get an idea of how often the road is closed.  Semis frequently get into crashes and block the road as well.  Once you get out to 285, there's really only one way in and one way out to Denver unless you want to make the trip all the way over Hoosier Pass (via Fairplay and Breckenridge) to I-70 (which would be more likely to be closed during bad weather than 285 anyway).  Your other option is to take CR-77 south to Lake George then Highway 24 into Colorado Springs.

If you want to live in the sticks, it might be the place for you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My family has property up in that area of Park County.  It's roughly 70 miles to Denver and 15 miles to Fairplay.  Stagestop is probably 8-10 miles in off 285 on County Road 77/Tarryall Road.  Winters aren't a joke up in Park County.  285 frequently gets closed in that area due to snow combined with high wind, icing, and low visibility.  Fairplay has a grocery store and hardware store and is a nice little mountain community, but you will probably need to drive to Denver every few weeks anyway.

Sign up for CDOT's text message alerts on cotrip.org if you want to get an idea of how often the road is closed.  Semis frequently get into crashes and block the road as well.  Once you get out to 285, there's really only one way in and one way out to Denver unless you want to make the trip all the way over Hoosier Pass (via Fairplay and Breckenridge) to I-70 (which would be more likely to be closed during bad weather than 285 anyway).  Your other option is to take CR-77 south to Lake George then Highway 24 into Colorado Springs.

If you want to live in the sticks, it might be the place for you.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.    
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top