Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2015 2:10:09 PM EDT
I have a project on my Jeep that requires welding.  Problem is - I don't know how to weld.  I have a brand new Miller 211, wire, gas, helmet, jacket, etc - just need some help figuring out how to stick two pieces of metal together...  

Anybody live up here that could help me out?  Beer, food, $, etc, are all available.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#1]
What needs welded and how soon?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#2]
If he cannot assist, touch bases with me. Why isn't your mig at least set up, or is it?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#4]
My mig isn't setup because I don't know what the hell I'm doing.  I'm going to go out today & see about setting it up - we'll see.

I am installing frame stiffeners (plating) on the front "frame" (uniframe) of my XJ.  I need these installed so I can go ahead and mount the front bumper (which uses the same holes).  I just converted my front end to long arms and don't have it driveable - had to remove the front suspension in order to clear the frame rails and get them ready for welding.

And, as for the Land Cruiser comment - LOL.  Hopefully he's a fan of real ones and not the FJC abortions.  If it counts, my gay ass neighbor and his "transgendered" daughter/son has one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My mig isn't setup because I don't know what the hell I'm doing.  I'm going to go out today & see about setting it up - we'll see.

I am installing frame stiffeners (plating) on the front "frame" (uniframe) of my XJ.  I need these installed so I can go ahead and mount the front bumper (which uses the same holes).  I just converted my front end to long arms and don't have it driveable - had to remove the front suspension in order to clear the frame rails and get them ready for welding.

And, as for the Land Cruiser comment - LOL.  Hopefully he's a fan of real ones and not the FJC abortions.  If it counts, my gay ass neighbor and his "transgendered" daughter/son has one.
View Quote

FJC will still take a Rubicon on the trail. Seen it before. In regard to the TG, you will not find a Land Cruiser type of group like this anywhere ---> https://www.facebook.com/Gay-Jeep-Club-of-America-142954012385845/timeline/

touche`

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#6]
In all seriousness...

You should probably get some steel first, preferably the gauge thickness you will be welding in the end and practice. There are many videos on YouTube that will help you. It's not really rocket science, so you should be good at it after about an hour of practice. It is tougher to weld vertically and upside down, but not impossible. If you are not comfortable with what you are doing and want to be sure, I'd hire someone to do it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

sent you a IM. Shouldn't take more than 30-45 min to get you up and running. Go buy some scrap steel for practice. easier to burn through scrap then your frame.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Is this something you're involved in?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Good call on the 211.  That is what I purchased to get me going as well.  Should last you a long time and you won't outgrow it.

If you take a little time and read the instructions and watch some videos, you will be able to get the unit set up and start making weld beads on flat pieces to practice getting started and keeping everything tight.  Then you can practice joining metal.  One thing that someone can teach you first hand better than can be taught by writing or video is the sound of a welder running at the correct power and wire feed rate.  

Also, I ran my 211 on a 110 circuit until I had the 220 installed.  If you don't have 220, I strongly recommend having it installed.  It starts better and seems to run much better for me.

Oh, and did you get a mixed gas?

Also wondering if you got the help you were looking for.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#11]
the dude at Bump it Off Road in Windsor is a welding master
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top