Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2015 2:57:23 PM EDT
Leaving Thursday AM to drive out there, coming home Sunday.

Doing the Via Ferrata route, probably some more climbing as time permits. Need to know the restaurants, bars, and breweries that I can't miss. Also anything else that a simple Front Ranger wouldn't know about.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#1]
You have a jeep, right?  Black Bear Pass is open.  http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gmug/recreation/recarea/?recid=32490&actid=94

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#2]
You gonna come through Montrose at all?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have a jeep, right?  Black Bear Pass is open.  http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gmug/recreation/recarea/?recid=32490&actid=94

View Quote

No, he has a fancy, bright orange 4runner. It would do black bear just fine too though! Anyway, in no order...Taco del Gnar is all the rage in Ridgway right now. Still haven't been, but it sounds amazing. Chocolate at Mouses in Ouray, Maggies in Ouray for good burgers, Colorado boy in Ridgway or Montrose for beer and pizza. Horsefly in Montrose for okay beer, pretty good food, and horrible service. Two rascals in Montrose for beer, Ouray brewery for beer and food. Definitely hit baked in telluride (just a normal bakery). The outlaw in Ouray for Good steak. Haven't been to true grit in Ridgway in a while, but it's good and had lots of movie stuff inside. Most stuff in tride is expensive so I don't go many places there except baked. I'll be in the grand mesa Friday and Saturday, but let me know if you guys want to get food Thursday or Sunday. I won't tell kiltakaze.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#4]
That is correct, I do have a bright orange 4runner now.

Thanks for the tips y'all! We might be in Montrose at some point, really don't know. We're kinda playing this whole thing by ear actually.

Looks like we're not out of Denver until Thursday evening now, so probably be through that way around 9:30-10pm on Thursday. Anywhere to eat out there that late that isn't a McDonald's or Taco Bell?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know how technical you're climbing, Lothbrok, but I climbed in this area about 14 yrs. ago.  It was kind of fun and right outside of town.  Neat conglomerate.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/the-falls-walls/105983503

If you feel like hiking a 14er, then the Wilsons and Sneffels are nearby.  I'm sure that you've visited this site. http://www.14ers.com/
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't know how technical you're climbing, Lothbrok, but I climbed in this area about 14 yrs. ago.  It was kind of fun and right outside of town.  Neat conglomerate.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/the-falls-walls/105983503

If you feel like hiking a 14er, then the Wilsons and Sneffels are nearby.  I'm sure that you've visited this site. http://www.14ers.com/
View Quote

Nice!

We're thinking of hitting the Via Ferrata, Ice Lake, and anything else we have time for. Definitely considered Sneffels, just don't know what our timeframe looks like.

This is a very last minute trip (I decided yesterday that we were going )
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks for the tips y'all! We might be in Montrose at some point, really don't know. We're kinda playing this whole thing by ear actually.

Looks like we're not out of Denver until Thursday evening now, so probably be through that way around 9:30-10pm on Thursday. Anywhere to eat out there that late that isn't a McDonald's or Taco Bell?
View Quote

Oh, You'll be in Montrose , unless you decide to go through Alamosa, wolf creek, cortez, lizard head...that'd be a silly drive. Whether or not you spend any time here is another story.
9:30-10, Denny's I'm not sure if many of the local places will be open that late. Applebee's or Chili's might be. If you go 285, you'll come down main st. and pass right by Horsefly, so that will be easy to see if they are still open. If you go 70, you'll keep driving south through town and see Denny's, Chili's, and Applebee's.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oh, You'll be in Montrose , unless you decide to go through Alamosa, wolf creek, cortez, lizard head...that'd be a silly drive. Whether or not you spend any time here is another story.
9:30-10, Denny's I'm not sure if many of the local places will be open that late. Applebee's or Chili's might be. If you go 285, you'll come down main st. and pass right by Horsefly, so that will be easy to see if they are still open. If you go 70, you'll keep driving south through town and see Denny's, Chili's, and Applebee's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I'm not doing 25-160 over, that drive is painfully boring for most of it.

Anyone up for a late dinner at Denny's?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#9]
If you do Sneffels, then you can say that you bagged it before me. Do it!

It's difficult Class 2, which isn't bad.  I may go do it and the Wilsons over Labor Day wknd. Who wants to watch my dogs?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No, he has a fancy, bright orange 4runner. It would do black bear just fine too though! Anyway, in no order...Taco del Gnar is all the rage in Ridgway right now. Still haven't been, but it sounds amazing. Chocolate at Mouses in Ouray, Maggies in Ouray for good burgers, Colorado boy in Ridgway or Montrose for beer and pizza. Horsefly in Montrose for okay beer, pretty good food, and horrible service. Two rascals in Montrose for beer, Ouray brewery for beer and food. Definitely hit baked in telluride (just a normal bakery). The outlaw in Ouray for Good steak. Haven't been to true grit in Ridgway in a while, but it's good and had lots of movie stuff inside. Most stuff in tride is expensive so I don't go many places there except baked. I'll be in the grand mesa Friday and Saturday, but let me know if you guys want to get food Thursday or Sunday. I won't tell kiltakaze.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What this jackass said^

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dennys
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck yeah!
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Fuck yeah!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck yeah!

Our local SO's practically live there...
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck yeah!

Lol we should go at 3am and you'll see
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Dennys?  That's got to be 87 times worse than Dominos Pizza...

Colorado Boy in Ridgway gets my vote.

Safe travels.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fuck yeah!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck yeah!

Let's do it!

I'll probably roll through around 10:30 or so
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Let's do it!

View Quote

I'm in. This is tomorrow night right?
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's do it!

Yep

Wife has a mandatory meeting at work starting at 4pm, should roll outta Denver sometime after that. I'll shoot you an IM with my number, that way we can coordinate
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds good man. Spyderboy03 better show!
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#20]
That's like...past my bedtime... I'll be there though, at least we know I'll actually show up
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Change of plans. I just won tickets to an album release show in Hollywood this weekend. Flying out to CA on Friday.

Next time, dudes!
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I can go to bed on time!
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Congrats buddy!

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Seconding "Baked In Telluride" (yes, it IS a regular bakery), I eat there every chance I get.

Brown Dog Pizza has great sammiches, and the place I only know as "The House" (not on the main drag) has a killer Reuben and tater-tots.

I don't think you CAN get bad food in Telluride, really.

ETA: Smugglers Brewery has a really good espresso porter as well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top