Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2015 12:42:47 PM EDT
Don't take a ford excursion on high clearance 4WD marked roads.

Mother/father/ 2&4 y.o. children were buried in the mud, 10 miles from anything like a passable road.

When I got on scene, 3 ATVs and a jeep were trying to pull the ford out.  Ford had already twisted his front driveshaft off.  I managed to fit my jeep in the rodeo and we got them out.  Not sure how we did it, that was a diesel Excursion, had to  be close to 9k lbs.

The mother was in tears when we got them out, they had spent the night in that mudhole.  No cell service for 5 miles.

The Ford had to be abandoned and the family was crammed into a jeep and returned to GJ, ford would not go anywhere in 2WD

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#1]
thanks for sharing, props to you for giving the helping hand.  Nice pics too
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I was going to shoot a vid of the extraction, but with 5 veh. and 5 cables tied to the ford, I had to really concentrate on the task at hand.  All the recovery veh. were only 2-4' apart.
Ford driver was going to try and get a friend to help recover his veh today.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Mud is nothing to mess with IMO.  I was camping up near Fairplay last week and there was light mud on the forest service road that I almost got stuck in  (2000 Tacoma with pretty good tires)
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes indeed.  IDK how this guy even made it in this far.  Daily rain on the Mesa has turned the small mudholes into bottomless pits.
Bad thing about this was that we ran into a 4WD dodge truck that had been called out from a towing company in Collbran to help these people.  Before they even found the ford they had turned around.  Guy said Fxxk this, I ain't getting stuck out here.
This was actually a good reminder to me to keep my tire chains in the jeep in the summer.  I nearly needed them.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Good on you all for helping them out.  Recoveries like that can get dangerous real fast.

Glad everyone got out safe.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I had my safety glasses on Mark.  Really.  I was pulling facing the Excursion, and I was sure something was gonna break.  But it worked.  Wonder how they are going to get that ford out?
It is up near the Nick Mt/Bull basin area.   Those roads are only fit for ATV and REALLY high clearance veh.
That ford would not go 20' in RWD.

And if anyone is going up the Mesa, take all the bug juice you have.  Mosquitos are epic bad between rain and hail storms.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow. That would be a beast to pull out. I was near Jefferson/FairPlay this weekend and yes the mud was bad in places
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you a member of ar15.co or jeepforum.com.  Have you posted the fun on those forums?

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you a member of ar15.co or jeepforum.com.  Have you posted the fun on those forums?          
View Quote

I should join jeepforum, I spend plenty of time reading there.  CO AR15 would be another good one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top