Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2015 4:42:12 PM EDT
S&W is running a "3 Magazines Free" for each purchase of M&P pistol (Shield is excluded) between March 29 to the end of May.

They had done a similar rebate program in the past, and I have received 2 free M&P 40 15-rd mags for a purchase I made last November.

However, this time S&W is imposing a blanket restriction on magazine capacity to several states including CO: 10 rounds max.  When asked by an IL resident, S&W rep said that there are several areas in IL with magazine capacity limit, so S&W opted to apply the blanket 10-rd limit for the entire state of IL (even though IL does not have a state-wide limit on magazine capacity).

What about CO?  I do not recall there is any area/town/municipality that imposes its own magazine capacity limit lower than 15 rounds. All we have is the state-wide 15-rd limit. But this is apparently is good enough for S&W to "do even better" and lower the limit from 15 to 10, all on their own "good judgment".

Please post your comments here so S&W can hear from us:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_551/267222_Colorado_Free_Magazine_Restrictions.html
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The defend them, it makes sense. If every M&P has either a standard capacity mag, or a 10 round, and the standards vary in capacity, the are covering their butt for accidentally sending a 17 round 9mm mag out instead of a 15 round 40 cal mag. 10 rounds is 10 rounds and it is hard to screw up. They don't have to think about caliber, they set 10 rounds mags off to the side for all calibers for ban states. Someone in a ban state requests their free mags, they go to that pile and it's done. No worry if they sent a normal mag. I don't like it, but it is much easier for them.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The defend them, it makes sense. If every M&P has either a standard capacity mag, or a 10 round, and the standards vary in capacity, the are covering their butt for accidentally sending a 17 round 9mm mag out instead of a 15 round 40 cal mag. 10 rounds is 10 rounds and it is hard to screw up. They don't have to think about caliber, they set 10 rounds mags off to the side for all calibers for ban states. Someone in a ban state requests their free mags, they go to that pile and it's done. No worry if they sent a normal mag. I don't like it, but it is much easier for them.
View Quote

S&W still honored the 15-rd limit for CO during their previous free mag rebate program (November 2014 - January 2015). I just purchased an M&P 40 during that time period and received two free mags using this rebate. So they did it before.

This time, I just purchased an M&P 9C and I submit the rebate forms online again. This time, the website automatically rejected my request for 12-rd M&P 9C magazines. So if they can program their system to deny anything above 10-rd, then they can (and had done so in the past) set their submission system to deny anything over 15-rd for CO.

What even more confusing ..... S&W will still ship guns with up to 15-rd magazine to CO and they will sell you a 15-rd mag. But somehow, they forgot how to differentiate 10-rd v. 15-rd for the free magazine rebate program.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Well then that's dumb.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#5]
So they offer to give you 3 free mags and there is bitching because they make a judgement call? I guess beggars can be choosers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:00:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So they offer to give you 3 free mags and there is bitching because they make a judgement call? I guess beggars can be choosers.
View Quote

It is their reasoning behind that judgment that I have problems with.  They claim they are doing this because of the state law on magazine capacity. But instead of abiding by the state law (15-rd), S&W simply picked 10-rd as their limit.

Furthermore, I have problem with gun manufacturer citing some city or county ordnance that imposes restriction on magazine capacity as the basis for the company decision to impose their own restriction on the entire state (like what S&W did to IL). So, if all gun manufacturers do this, then the anti-gunners will have a new easier way to enact a magazine limit on the entire state without having to pass a state law. Just have some city or county controlled by liberal anti-gun politicians to create a local ordnance that limits magazine capacity for that city/county ..... then by the same process, all gun manufacturers will impose the blanket restriction for the entire state.

Voila ... you have a state-wide mag capacity restriction.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

While I hear your point, let's be honest here.  S&W isn't giving away mags out of the kindness of their heart.  It is a way to generate interest and increase sales, and often a good one.  By letting them know that we are unhappy about the way they have implemented this sales/rebate, we provide positive pressure so that they hopefully will  rethink these policies.  I'm hoping that this recent decision was based on confusion or a misunderstanding and not out of just making it easier on S&W's team in fulfilling orders.

Unfortunately, we're now a state that has to deal with these type of problems, and we need to keep up the pressure and incentives on our vendors and industry partners to do what they can to support us.  I don't think in this case it's unreasonable to ask S&W to provide magazines that they have available (these are not special order or CO-specific mags) to all users who are legally able to own them. I understand it may be too much effort for them to have to deal with regional/county/city restrictions, but allowance under state laws are a reasonable thing to ask.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I've noticed that Cabela's, for at least a while, was stocking the "compliant" versions of ARs (pinned formerly adjustable buttstocks, etc.).  Their buyers must have confused us with MA.  There's really no excuse for this kind of ignorance when running a business.  I think they may have caught-on now.  This kind of stuff is not isolated and is a side-effect of the restrictions passed in '13.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top