Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2015 10:06:49 AM EDT
Will be there in a week with my wife who doesn't ski any recommendations for other activities?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe shopping is the answer you seek.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Thankfully she isn't a big shopper.  What about hiking, snowshoeing, fishing, etc or is it too in between seasons?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to live there, family still does.  You're going late in the season; will Breck still be open by then?  The sister tells me that the snow is melting fast, and what's left is getting hard packed.  She hikes with some friends of hers, and told me that many of their favorite hikes are still muddy.  I suppose one could snow shoe if one went high enough, but she shouldn't go on her own.  Besides, if you're coming from Georgia, altitude is going to be an issue for both of you.  Don't over exert yourselves.

One thing I always tell Summit County tourists: drive north of Breckenridge a few miles to Farmer's Corner, where Swan Mountain Road intersects Hwy 9.  This is just south of Lake Dillon.  Turn onto Swan Mountain Road and drive a few miles to the top of the hill.  Turn off at the parking lot at the top, and stroll out to the scenic overlook, called Sapphire Point.  Heckuva view from there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Laugh at hippies and baulk at home prices
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Laugh at hippies and baulk at home prices
View Quote

LOL, This!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#6]
This might help a little.
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=20&t=572807

Depending on what you are into, there are tons of things to do.

Obviously shopping, Tons of hiking, The lake is thawing, so there's fishing, and just general scenic stuff.

A cool daytrip is to the town of fairplay to the town museum, its pretty cool.

Give me an idea on what you/she like to do and i'll try to point you in the right direction.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This might help a little.
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=20&t=572807

Depending on what you are into, there are tons of things to do.

Obviously shopping, Tons of hiking, The lake is thawing, so there's fishing, and just general scenic stuff.

A cool daytrip is to the town of fairplay to the town museum, its pretty cool.

Give me an idea on what you/she like to do and i'll try to point you in the right direction.

Love to fish, hike, historic tours and ski but not sure want to this trip. Any suggestions on todos, fishing/guides, and dinning would be great.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Depending on when you arrive, Breck may be closed. Closing day is the 19th.

Copper is just a 20 minute drive, and Sunsation is always a good time.

http://www.coppercolorado.com/winter/events_and_activities/calendar/1075275127

As far as fishing, there is fly fishing, and the best bet is to go with a guide.

These guys are good:
http://www.mountainangler.com/
http://www.breckenridgeoutfitters.com/

I can also get you the number of someone I know how guides on his own, might be cheaper.

Or you can throw a line in lake Dillon at a variety of spots.

Hiking, well, we will be in the beginning of mud season, and we are getting snow right now, so depending on what you want, the trails could be a mess. I'd wait til you are closer to getting here and play that by ear. Of course, if you get high, you can still snowshoe at the higher elevations. There's a nice trail that goes around the lake (Dillon) called the peninsula trail, it may be dry and frozen enough to not be a mess. You can also pick up the Colorado Trail as an out and back hike in a variety of spots.

If you do hike our trails, please hike THROUGH middy areas and not around, we like our trails narrow for mountain biking.
Mountain Outfitters on Ridge St will be able to give you a pretty good idea what trails are good to go.

Southpark is a historic town about 20 minutes south, If the museum is open, its definitely worth the drive

http://www.fairy-lamp.com/SPCMuseum/South_Park_City_Main.html
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33416-d660554-Reviews-South_Park_City_Museum-Fairplay_Colorado.html

Heres some info on historic tours
http://breckheritage.com/

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Agree with the drive over swan mountin road, only suggestion is hop onto highway 6 when you drop out near keystone and head to the top of Loveland pass. It's only a short drive if weather is nice and it's a neat pass. When you're driving it, imagine pulling a set of trailers in a semi with chains on, cause that's what truckers have to do if they have a placarded haz mat load. I've had to do it many times, it's rather scary. In a car, no big deal! You can then hop back onto i70 and it's about 15 minutes back to the Breckinridge exit.

Also, if it's still there, about a quarter mile off i70 in Frisco is a bbq place called q4u, I used to eat there once a week when I was working up there, it's phenomenal.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Agree with the drive over swan mountin road, only suggestion is hop onto highway 6 when you drop out near keystone and head to the top of Loveland pass. It's only a short drive if weather is nice and it's a neat pass. When you're driving it, imagine pulling a set of trailers in a semi with chains on, cause that's what truckers have to do if they have a placarded haz mat load. I've had to do it many times, it's rather scary. In a car, no big deal! You can then hop back onto i70 and it's about 15 minutes back to the Breckinridge exit.

Also, if it's still there, about a quarter mile off i70 in Frisco is a bbq place called q4u, I used to eat there once a week when I was working up there, it's phenomenal.
View Quote

There's great Mexican food at Hacienda Real in Frisco, it's near the Safeway on the north end of town, just off I-70.

http://www.friscohaciendareal.com/

As for Swan Mountain Road and Hwy 6, one can always drive the loop around the lake as well, hitting Dillon, turning off at the dam road, and winding up in Frisco, then Hwy 9 back to Breckenridge.  Very scenic drive.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#11]
All good suggestions above.
Hacienda Real in Frisco is a good call as is Sapphire Point.

Arapahoe Basin is still open. If you decide to head up to Loveland Pass you'll go right by it. They offer a scenic chair-lift ride (3 minutes or so) to the Black Mountain lodge with a $15 food voucher for $20. The food at Black Mountain Lodge is good IMO and the view is awesome. Riding the chair downhill can be a bit exciting for some too.

It's pretty wet, I think hiking will be messy. Fishing in the lake is lame IMO, but always pretty. I don't really know much about the creek fishing this time of year except they're a bit high and will be even more with melt-off.

Breck has a good distillery if you like bourbon. It's "mud season". Pick up a local free paper (Summit Daily) and check the ads for 2 for 1 deals at restaurants, that's one of the best things about mud season! Otherwise it really slows down until the summer tourism starts up.

Have Fun !

Cheers!
-JC

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Guys really appreciate all the recommendations, Breck is getting a lot of snow (at least from a southerns perspective).  Had a good historic tour of the city today.  Headed to the river for some fishing on Tuesday.  Would have been great to get in some skiing but love that there are not any crowds!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Guys really appreciate all the recommendations, Breck is getting a lot of snow (at least from a southerns perspective).  Had a good historic tour of the city today.  Headed to the river for some fishing on Tuesday.  Would have been great to get in some skiing but love that there are not any crowds!!
View Quote

A basin and Loveland are still open, and there's PLENTY of snow. Loveland got a foot in the last 24 hrs.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:02:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Did you not check the resort closing date before heading there? A-Basin is pretty close and is still open.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Not sure if the Gondola is still running, but if it is, it's worth a free ride up to Peak 7. The "Sevens" restaurant is kind of overpriced but the pizza there is actually quite good and they have a decent bar. Views in almost every direction are great and they have heated concrete patio outside with views to the east and west.

The crepe place is pretty awesome, as is Mary's Mountain cookies. Pro tip, the day old cookies are much cheaper and taste fantastic.

Do you like Beer? I really like Breckenridge Brewery, the food goes from cheap to pricey depending on what you want, but they usually have 1-3 special beers available that you can't normally find.
And the new place Broken Compass Brewery in Breckenridge has been getting rave reviews.
http://www.brokencompassbrewing.com/

I freakin' love Breckenridge, which is why we are up there at least once a year. Hope you are having fun!

ETA: Holy crap, I just read the old thread, and my recommendations were very similar, I even used some of the same language... lol.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not sure if the Gondola is still running, but if it is, it's worth a free ride up to Peak 7. The "Sevens" restaurant is kind of overpriced but the pizza there is actually quite good and they have a decent bar. Views in almost every direction are great and they have heated concrete patio outside with views to the east and west.

The crepe place is pretty awesome, as is Mary's Mountain cookies. Pro tip, the day old cookies are much cheaper and taste fantastic.

Do you like Beer? I really like Breckenridge Brewery, the food goes from cheap to pricey depending on what you want, but they usually have 1-3 special beers available that you can't normally find.
And the new place Broken Compass Brewery in Breckenridge has been getting rave reviews.

I freakin' love Breckenridge, which is why we are up there at least once a year. Hope you are having fun!

ETA: Holy crap, I just read the old thread, and my recommendations were very similar, I even used some of the same language... lol.
View Quote

The Crepe place is fantastic!!!  Vanilla Porter from BB is also good.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you get it on Nitro? Heck, they probably only serve it on nitro over there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the summer months I have seen people wait 1 hour+ for crepes.
OP let us know if you find anything else to do there you enjoyed. I'm always looking for tips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top