Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2015 11:49:25 AM EDT
UPDATE: HEARING HAS BEEN POSTPONED DUE TO SNOW.

The Senate Judiciary Committee will hear SB175 on Monday, February 23rd, at 1:30pm in Room 352.  SB175 is a bill to repeal 2013's ill-designed, unconstitutional, and illogical magazine ban.

Your voice needs to be heard!  I will be there on Monday in person, hopefully (unlike in 2013) I will be given the chance to testify.  If there is any way you can be there, we need you there.  We need to show our legislators that we the people did not like this bill and that we fully support a repeal of this bill.

This bill stands a great chance of passing out of the Senate and on to the House, which is where the real challenge begins.  We still need a strong show of support for this bill in front of the Senate, though.

If you can't make it out in person on Monday, please contact the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and express your support for this bill.

The Senate Judiciary Committee member contact information is:
Senator Ellen Roberts (R-6), Chairman
(303) 866- 4884
[email protected]    

Senator Kevin Lundberg (R-15), Vice-Chairman
(303) 866-4853
[email protected]

Senator John Cooke (R-13)
(303) 866-4451
[email protected]  

Senator Lucia Guzman (D-34)
(303) 866-4862
[email protected]

Senator Michael Merrifield (D-11)
(303) 866-6364
[email protected]
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't be there. I'll send out some emails tonight.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Anything us out of staters can do to help?  As a former resident I still have lots of friends and family there who hate this stupid ban so I am willing to do what I can from a distance to help.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The Senate Judiciary Committee will hear SB175 on Monday, February 23rd, at 1:30pm in Room 352.  SB175 is a bill to repeal 2013's ill-designed, unconstitutional, and illogical magazine ban.

Your voice needs to be heard!  I will be there on Monday in person, hopefully (unlike in 2013) I will be given the chance to testify.  If there is any way you can be there, we need you there.  We need to show our legislators that we the people did not like this bill and that we fully support a repeal of this bill.

This bill stands a great chance of passing out of the Senate and on to the House, which is where the real challenge begins.  We still need a strong show of support for this bill in front of the Senate, though.

If you can't make it out in person on Monday, please contact the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and express your support for this bill.

The Senate Judiciary Committee member contact information is:
Senator Ellen Roberts (R-6), Chairman
(303) 866- 4884
[email protected]    

Senator Kevin Lundberg (R-15), Vice-Chairman
(303) 866-4853
[email protected]

Senator John Cooke (R-13)
(303) 866-4451
[email protected]  

Senator Lucia Guzman (D-34)
(303) 866-4862
[email protected]

Senator Michael Merrifield (D-11)
(303) 866-6364
[email protected]
View Quote

I just sent an email to each link. I can not make it in person and I requested (in the email) that my statement be read on my behalf.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I will be emailing tonight...
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#5]
FYI, John Cooke replied to my email within approx 30 min. It was not an auto reply as he referenced an item in my email, he seems like a good guy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FYI, John Cooke replied to my email within approx 30 min. It was not an auto reply as he referenced an item in my email, he seems like a good guy.
View Quote

Cooke is the former weld county sheriff.  Good man who needs to be governor
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll be there
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll be there
View Quote

For the first time in years, I might actually even wear a sport coat.  This is a shocking revelation
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#9]
You never know what kind of reactionary extremists you'll see testifying at a hearing.

On a related note, I'll post an email from Hullinghorst later. It will probably be in the other thread, since this one is about the SB.  It's no surprise that it contained "(I)f this law saves just one life..."
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#10]
email sent to all of them voicing my support, thanks to anyone that can show up there in person and give a face to the rest of us.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You never know what kind of reactionary extremists you'll see testifying at a hearing.

On a related note, I'll post an email from Hullinghorst later. It will probably be in the other thread, since this one is about the SB.  It's no surprise that it contained "(I)f this law saves just one life..."
View Quote

What if it costs one, Senator?  What if it costs just one life because someone fumbled a reload or there were multiple attackers?  Will you agree that you are culpable for that?  How will you make amends?  Will you propose legislation to make elected officials - such as yourself - who voted for that law liable for civil damages if not subject to criminal prosecution?  We've already established that any life lost in the commission of a crime makes all participants culpable, even if there were only the getaway driver.  What about the people who limited a law-abiding citizen's options, resulting in their harm or death?

What if it costs one life, Senator?  What then?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:12:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hullinghorst didn't reply to me, though she replied to all of my friends who sent her emails.

The email one of my friends got read as if she is going to send it to the kill committee - which we all knew.  She knows better than us peons, don't you know?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the updates on this.  I'm a little behind the ball on this, emails going out this weekend.  

I have little faith that this will get out of committee with Hullinghorst at the helm of the House, but the pressure needs to be maintained.

Big Thanks to those of you on the front range that are going to testify!

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
She knows better than us peons, don't you know?
View Quote

Pick-up that (beer) can, Lothbrok.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Hullinghorst didn't reply to me, though she replied to all of my friends who sent her emails.

The email one of my friends got read as if she is going to send it to the kill committee - which we all knew.  She knows better than us peons, don't you know?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

didn't reply to me either.... hmmmmm
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks like the Dims figured out the game.   It was  a major blow to have the president of the Senate recalled, but in his election he'd only won by a few hundred IIRC.   Dickey won 80% in 2012 and ran unopposed in 2014.

Our system sucks!
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#17]
What the heck.  Even though Dingy is in the state house,  I'll post her response in this thread.  Here it is in all of its intellectual and moral benevolence.

Dear MFA (name changed to protect the guilty),

Thank you for contacting me regarding the repeal of gun safety legislation. I believe that we
must always fight to keep our families and communities as safe as possible.

I stand by the law passed by the Colorado General Assembly to limit the number of rounds
someone can fire before reloading. The shooter in the Aurora movie theater killed 12 and injured
70 people in 90 seconds while carrying a magazine that held 100 rounds. Had James Holmes’s
gun not jammed, there is no doubt the devastation would have been significantly greater. We
should not have to rely on the chance that a malfunction with a magazine will spare the lives of
our loved ones in the event of a mass shooting, of which Colorado has had far too many.

High-capacity magazines belong in theaters of war, not in our movie theaters. If this law saves
just one life or reduces the amount of gun violence by any fraction, then I believe that we have
done our job in making our Colorado communities safer.

Thank you again for reaching out to me about this important issue.

Sincerely,
Dickey Lee Hullinghorst

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I can't make it up as I have to pick my kid up from school at 3 here in Colorado Springs. But I did send e-mails. All these gun owners and so called freedom lovers and yet very small percentage of people doing things.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:57:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What the heck.  Even though Dingy is in the state house,  I'll post her response in this thread.  Here it is in all of its intellectual and moral benevolence.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dear MFA (name changed to protect the guilty),

Thank you for contacting me regarding the repeal of gun safety legislation. I believe that we
must always fight to keep our families and communities as safe as possible.

I stand by the law passed by the Colorado General Assembly to limit the number of rounds
someone can fire before reloading. The shooter in the Aurora movie theater killed 12 and injured
70 people in 90 seconds while carrying a magazine that held 100 rounds. Had James Holmes’s
gun not jammed, there is no doubt the devastation would have been significantly greater. We
should not have to rely on the chance that a malfunction with a magazine will spare the lives of
our loved ones in the event of a mass shooting, of which Colorado has had far too many.

High-capacity magazines belong in theaters of war, not in our movie theaters. If this law saves
just one life or reduces the amount of gun violence by any fraction, then I believe that we have
done our job in making our Colorado communities safer.

Thank you again for reaching out to me about this important issue.

Sincerely,
Dickey Lee Hullinghorst

So I'm assuming she will soon be advocating reducing magazine capacity for police and those that protect her butt in the state house.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
FYI: Hearing has been canceled due to the inclement weather.
View Quote

Yep, forgot to update last night.

I haven't seen a rescheduled date yet, but will update once I have.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Did they provide a make up day?  Sorry, I am not good at navigating the State's site so lean on those here to point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Somehow missed the above.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Playing games with the date in order to reduce participation in the legislative process.

I fucking hate liberals.  Hate.  Them.  

Oh, and Dickey Lee Hullinghorst can go fuck herself.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Now that there is extra time, I hope everyone else contacted the politicians, or continue today. No excuses people.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#25]
E-mails to all the above senators have been sent, as I am not able to attend personally. I've also sent e-mail and letters out in regards to the M855/SS109 ban proposal.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Playing games with the date in order to reduce participation in the legislative process.
View Quote

This.  Everyone needs to email and show up if you can.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Oops, double post.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would someone be willing to post up an effective sample letter they sent?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I just wrote what my opinion was. I covered the points of how it only affects law abiding citizens, how if someone is motivated to kill they will regardless, how you could have a 5 round magazine only ban and people motivated could still do as much damage as with 1 mag, how it has no affect at all on public safety , blah blah blah blah.

Although I am sure if you contacted the guys at Gun Owners of America, or I will write them after this, to set up a Contact form or "Take Action" section for SB175 Colorado, they always have  very well pre-written letters.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:38:28 AM EDT
[#30]
That's enough to get me going. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Posted by Sen Holbert on co-ar15

NEW HEARING DATE

Senate Bill 15-175 to repeal the "mag ban," will be heard by the Senate Judiciary Committee on Monday, March 9, 2015 at 1:30 p.m. in Committee Room 271. The new committee room is located between the elevators on the second floor of the Capitol Building. The plan as of today is to have only that one bill on the calendar. We hope to have as little waiting as possible for those who wish to testify in favor of the bill. Proponents (those who support repeal) will testify first.

If you wish to contact members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, then please consider saying "Thank you" to Senators Roberts, Lundberg, and Cooke who are all co-sponsors of the bill. They already support the bill, there is no need to urge, strongly urge or plead with them to support the bill because THEY ALREADY DO. However, I can testify how rare and appreciated a "thank you for supporting the bill" email can be to a legislator.

Senate Judiciary Committee roster with "clickable" email links:

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=CGA-LegislativeCouncil%2FCLCLayout&cid=1251568871482&pagename=CLCWrapper

Please also note that Senator Cooke is my co-prime sponsor. The two of us will present the bill to the committee.

Thank you for your time and effort to repeal the ineffective and insulting "mag ban."

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Getting closer to the date. I hope everyone is still calling/emailing/faxing/sending smoke signals.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Did this get voted on yesterday?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, and it went through, but it'll likely get shot down by the house: http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_27678360/colorado-senate-committee-passes-bill-repeal-ammo-magazine
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Senate president
Bill Cadman said after the vote. "Republicans today made good on our
pledge to help restore those lost rights and rebuild public trust in
this institution."

Am I supposed to feel better now? Nice try but?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top