Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2015 4:40:35 PM EDT
New hearings show up feb2

Mag ban repeal!
NFA processing
Make my day better
Repeal of private gun safe ban
Constitutional carry

If you give a damn about your rights show up, no one is gonna do it for you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump.  I went last year and the year before to the senate hearings.  At least last year I got to talk, but the D control freaks didn't care (their "I know what's best for you and am your ruler" attitude is scary).  I may go this year, but am slammed at work.  I recommend that anyone who can should go.  I also recommend that you don't try to cram a million words into the 2 or 3 minutes you get to testify.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah me too, this time around though both my reps are pro-gun. I still may go. I think a strong showing will serve as a reminder to those vulnerable dems that want to vote against us.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, really want to go but I'll be busy all day, any other days coming up where they need a presence?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn, really want to go but I'll be busy all day, any other days coming up where they need a presence?
View Quote

These are the first set of committee hearings. There might be chances later, but realistically we really need a good turn out at all of them. The senate hearings are probably good to go this time around, but since there is a dem majority in the house (and the mag ban is a house bill), those guys need a good reminder about what happened last year.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#5]
At this point, these bills are just a bit of show from the GOP towards us. They have no chance of passage nor would Hickenlooper sign them.

A good turnout is important to keep the GOP on its toes, but no one should be fooled into believing that there is any realistic chance of passage.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Wish I could make it today, I have meetings all day and then PTO starting tomorrow.  Anyone going today?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#7]
It's looking like I'm slammed at work (not 100% ruled-out).  If anyone is going, then please remind our "rulers" that need-based ownership has no place in a free society (when they say "you don't need...).  Also remind them that none of us, including our "rulers" have any business telling another that they may not own something that can be used responsibly, without violating others' rights, just because a few others misused theirs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Over the last two years, most of the PTO I've taken has been to protest, drive to Denver, work on the recalls, and/or drive around doing stuff for C2AA.  After my company's reorg, I have now lost a full week of PTO.  What I've got left needs to be for my family and my sanity.

The Rs may be persuaded to sack up if there's a good turnout and succinct, fact-based testimony because they already want to be seen as the "pro gun party" overall and none of them personally are in a district at immediate risk of flipping D if they don't "compromise."  Developing a spine is in their best political interest.  The Ds absolutely will not care if the rooms are shoulder-to-shoulder, unanimous for repeal, and will only trot out emotion-based bullshit for why their laws will stay put (any emotion-based testimony on *our* side will be dismissed as "anecdotal and not representative of most Coloradan's experience").  Hickenlooper, I honestly believe, might repeal the mag ban IF there was a consistently huge turnout and it made it through the House.  He's a "Dem"agogue, certainly, but he's also a walking waffle who bends to the prevailing wind and cares about his legacy.  The fact that his reelection was as close as it was rattled him for his odds of next time, for what failure means for his longer-term political career if he doesn't run or doesn't win, and for what history will say about him either way.

Mass turnouts are good for shaping public opinion and influencing freshman legislators.  Anyone else, you're only going to change their mind by finding out what matters to them personally - and more than whatever their party leadership can offer/threaten - and using it to shape their personal position to match closer to yours.

I will continue to work on civil disobedience and bide my time for meaningful dialog.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#9]
As I drove by the city buildings today, I thought about the comment to keep words minimal for the short 2-3 minutes of time.  I did not stop in, but might closer to lunch.

Would it make sense to address the desire to be a liberty based state and draw in the legalization of medical marijuana that has resulted in at least 12 deaths in the Denver Area.  I know of at least two reportings of deaths due to recreational marijuana, and seem to recall numerous incidents with children and students unknowingly eating "edibles".  If the house and senate is accepting of these "risks" associated with personal choice, shouldn't they also be open to "risks" associated with normal capacity magazines, firearm transfers, and concealed carry?

I regrettably voted in favor of the marijuana laws thinking it was a persons choice, and although it isn't my choice, it isn't for me to decide for others.  Unfortunately, my underlying assumption is that people are conscientious and protective of kids.  I never would have thought kids would have ready access to drugs and that if I had kids, they could be exposed without their knowing.  I'm admittedly naive in politics and believe people WANT to be fair and have the welfare of children in mind.

Unfortunately, the underlying issue of personal responsibility exists for both weapons and marijuana.  Irresponsible gun owners and marijuana users put others at risk.  Additionally, some of the marijuana deaths are associated with burglary and shooting, so they seem to be a double edged sword which is where some discussion would be helpful for me.

Also, there is a ban on private gun safes?  Could someone point me in the direction of that statute/consititutional amendment?

Any feedback or direction on potential approaches if I do get to say a few words?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Shadowden, I have a meeting in 4 minutes so we'll edit later for more detail.  Just my personal thought?  I wouldn't mention MJ on this one.  Here are the basic facts:
- these laws were passed with no support studies that would indicate they reduced crime anywhere;
- these laws were passed despite massive outpouring of opposition and were so antithetical to our local culture that they resulted in our state's first recalls (two who lost elections, one who fled rather than face the prospect of one).

Do the members of this current Colorado legislature want to perpetuate that awful mistake of 2013 and become a body that disregards its citizens values and voices in favor of telling us how we will live based on their feelings?  If that becomes an established precedent, where does it end?  And what does it say about them, personally?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Shadowden, I have a meeting in 4 minutes so we'll edit later for more detail.  Just my personal thought?  I wouldn't mention MJ on this one.  Here are the basic facts:
- these laws were passed with no support studies that would indicate they reduced crime anywhere;
- these laws were passed despite massive outpouring of opposition and were so antithetical to our local culture that they resulted in our state's first recalls (two who lost elections, one who fled rather than face the prospect of one).

Do the members of this current Colorado legislature want to perpetuate that awful mistake of 2013 and become a body that disregards its citizens values and voices in favor of telling us how we will live based on their feelings?  If that becomes an established precedent, where does it end?  And what does it say about them, personally?
View Quote

That is certainly far simpler.  If 90% of pro-repeal people say the same thing, does it have an impact?  I see some saying that nothing will have an impact, but I still want to believe otherwise.  Real hope(not some drummed up campaign slogan) is a powerful thing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#12]
See my post just above yours for my opinion (and that's all it is).  I think it's possible but I don't think it's likely unless you find very personal buttons to push, which is why I tend to use the "how will history judge you?" angle in many of my communications.  

The Republicans are ambivalent.  They have a pro-gun rep but 1. being the underdog is good business for them because they have a magnet for supporter for "next time we have to fight this again," and 2. it's know that they don't have the seats to force anything so they can put just enough effort in to say, "Dang - we tried."  The Democrats, as a party, don't like guns.  Many individual ones do (see the Pueblo recall turnout) but the leadership says, "Ick," so the legislators will fight this tooth and nail unless they think it spells disaster for the party.  If leadership agrees that's the case, they will back off, "compromise" to retain seats for the party rather than face a backlash, and bide their time until they can force more laws through again.  But it will take that level of stakes for them to give back any ground - they are not known for surrendering conquered territory.  The best you can hope for is a weakly-held D chair in a strongly pro-gun district.  They'll be allowed to flip so long as it doesn't give the repeal measure enough bipartisan support to actually make it to Hick's desk.

If a screwup and/or miracle (depending on your position) occurs and the mag limit makes it to Hick, I really do think we can hit him in the hubris hard enough to make him sign.  The background check is here to stay, though, because it's how they take a step closer to registration, even if it takes them another thirty years to get it.  That's the real prize for them and they will NOT let that one go.  Which is why I violate it as often as possible.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
At this point, these bills are just a bit of show from the GOP towards us. They have no chance of passage nor would Hickenlooper sign them.

A good turnout is important to keep the GOP on its toes, but no one should be fooled into believing that there is any realistic chance of passage.
View Quote

Well I hope the Republicans kill any bills at all that come from the Dem house, you will not pass our bills and we will not pass yours dead lock
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Updates?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Updates?
View Quote

All 5 house bills were voted to be postponed indefinitely. Party line votes.

The 2 senate bills both made it out of committee, again on party line votes. SB15-032 has been referred to the Committee on Appropriations. SB15-086 has been referred to the Senate Finance Committee.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I still don't see how democrats can say "responsible legislation" with a straight face when they passed bills that changed nothing related to "gun control" and enacted measures that legalized drug use that has directly led to increased crime, put children at risk, and has caused Colorado residents to be profiled in adjacent states while traveling.

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I still don't see how democrats can say "responsible legislation" with a straight face when they passed bills that changed nothing related to "gun control" and enacted measures that legalized drug use that has directly led to increased crime, put children at risk, and has caused Colorado residents to be profiled in adjacent states while traveling.

View Quote

Let's stay focused here. We can start another thread about 64. 64 was a ballot initiative which would not have passed w/o significant R voter support. It was a crime to punish people for doing something that violates no one else's rights. The mindset behind such prohibition is similar to that which advocates punishing people for owning a 30 rd mag.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#18]
UBG,
that is precisely my point.  Unfortunately, it is clear that they don't see it that way.  In some way, an inanimate 30 rd magazine is a more significant danger than other inanimate things in their minds.  It is not a matter of "responsible" legislation as I heard over and over last night on the news.

I will refrain from trying to illustrate the two-faced nature of their "responsible" legislation using 64 as a basis.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Gotcha, Shadowden.  I guess part of my point is that one was legislation and one was an initiative.  I think it's perfectly OK to point out the hypocrisy to people on both/all sides of both issues.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The 2 senate bills both made it out of committee, again on party line votes. SB15-032 has been referred to the Committee on Appropriations. SB15-086 has been referred to the Senate Finance Committee.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Updates?

So pretty much dead?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So pretty much dead?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Updates?

So pretty much dead?

House bills are dead. The 2 Senate bills are not.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Elections have consequences:

The Colorado state house districts have been so unfairly gerrymandered by the democrats it is nearly impossible to get a Republican majority.
And Bob ran such RINO campaign which treated Hick with kid gloves. Hickenlooper was vulnerable and they ran a guy who ran for Governor already and lost and took advise from Krispy Creme out of New Jersey. Tancredo would have beat hick
now we are stuck with these bullshit laws
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Sheriff's appeal had its first motion filed on January 16th.  We'll see where that goes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Updates?

So pretty much dead?

FUCK!

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:44:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Elections have consequences:

The Colorado state house districts have been so unfairly gerrymandered by the democrats it is nearly impossible to get a Republican majority.
And Bob ran such RINO campaign which treated Hick with kid gloves. Hickenlooper was vulnerable and they ran a guy who ran for Governor already and lost and took advise from Krispy Creme out of New Jersey. Tancredo would have beat hick
View Quote

Hick was very vulnerable.  And the Republicans managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  

The Republicans just can't seem to get any quality candidates nominated.  They always put the bench warmers out on the field for the big game.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like hell we are.

We lost one minor battle.  Big deal.

The Sheriff's lawsuit is still ongoing.  There are other lawsuits on the federal level that are working their way towards resolution that may offer us reprieve from the yoke of tyranny.  There is still a ballot initiative option (though this one is terrifying, given that if it fails, the consequences are dire).  There are further legislative sessions to attempt a repeal.

I don't like defeatism.  It's not befitting of folks who live in this state.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I think it would be a bad move to go to a ballot initiative.  There are too many people that don't fully understand the true limitations imposed by a simple magazine ban.  I think those people are the majority, and quite honestly, I don't think the majority can see that an erosion of a right for one group will eventually lead to an erosion of rights for them.

I didn't live in Colorado when they took Spring bear hunting and baiting on a ballot initiative.  Sure wish that hadn't of blown up.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think it would be a bad move to go to a ballot initiative.  There are too many people that don't fully understand the true limitations imposed by a simple magazine ban.  I think those people are the majority, and quite honestly, I don't think the majority can see that an erosion of a right for one group will eventually lead to an erosion of rights for them.

I didn't live in Colorado when they took Spring bear hunting and baiting on a ballot initiative.  Sure wish that hadn't of blown up.  
View Quote

That would be the furthest down the list item that should be attempted, and it should only be attempted knowing full-well what the consequences are.  We actually discussed this with a group during the recall cycle who didn't want to listen to us.  They went ahead and attempted signature collection but fell short of their needed numbers -- and I'm actually thankful for that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#29]
UPDATE

Senate passes mag ban repeal out for a general vote where it will pass. Yes it still needs to get through the house that killed the same bill, but perhaps horses are actually being traded. And perhaps Lickenpooper will get his chance to sign it.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/2015/02/06/democrats-sign-bill-repealing-ammo-magazine-limits/117125/
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
UPDATE

Senate passes mag ban repeal out for a general vote where it will pass. Yes it still needs to get through the house that killed the same bill, but perhaps horses are actually being traded. And perhaps Lickenpooper will get his chance to sign it.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/2015/02/06/democrats-sign-bill-repealing-ammo-magazine-limits/117125/
View Quote

There are four dems willing to cross the party line to vote for this in the House.  It is crucial that this bill be sent to the full house for consideration -- email [email protected] to urge for that to happen.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Do you have a sample letter / letter head for writing the representatives along with the rest of the e-mails so it makes it easier. Lead from the front, might get more people involved this way too. I'm all for contacting whoever in regards to Mag Ban Repeal (I just moved here and have 100's but I'd still like to buy them as needed).

Edit I guess I am being hella lazy, but it is worth a shot.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:53:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Do you have a sample letter / letter head for writing the representatives along with the rest of the e-mails so it makes it easier. Lead from the front, might get more people involved this way too. I'm all for contacting whoever in regards to Mag Ban Repeal (I just moved here and have 100's but I'd still like to buy them as needed).

Edit I guess I am being hella lazy, but it is worth a shot.
View Quote

Not that hard - request that she pass the bill to the full house for consideration. Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Any update on this bill? The last info on the assembly website says its been a month since the last activity. Does that mean it was killed in committee?

ETA: Here are the members on the Judiciary Committee. No clue as to why there was a recent delay as this committee looks to be in our favor, but I guess Rinos are gonna Rino.
Senate Judiciary Committee:

Senator Ellen Roberts (R-6), Chairman
(303) 866- 4884
[email protected]    

Senator Kevin Lundberg (R-15), Vice-Chairman
(303) 866-4853
[email protected]

Senator John Cooke (R-13)
(303) 866-4451
[email protected]  

Senator Lucia Guzman (D-34)
(303) 866-4862
[email protected]

Senator Michael Merrifield (D-11)
(303) 866-6364
[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#34]
The hearing was cancelled due to the recent snow-apocalypse. I haven't seen anything on when it was rescheduled to yet.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Monday, March 9th, from 1:30 to 3:30 in room 271 of the Capitol, there will be a hearing in the Senate Judiciary Committee for Senate Bill 175.

This is posted on colorado2a.org (Thanks Faucetface).
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Refer Senate Bill 15-175 to the Committee of the Whole. The motion passed on a vote of 3-2.

Looks like it passed its first obstacle. Anyone know how the vote is looking if it makes it to the house?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Refer Senate Bill 15-175 to the Committee of the Whole. The motion passed on a vote of 3-2.

Looks like it passed its first obstacle. Anyone know how the vote is looking if it makes it to the house?
View Quote

It will likely make it to the House where Congresswoman Hollinghorst will send it to the kill committee.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It will likely make it to the House where Congresswoman Hollinghorst will send it to the kill committee.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. In the mean time, we can drown her in emails and phone calls. Not sure what else to do other than hound her. Sucks that the fate of these pro gun bills lies in the hands of one person.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#40]
03/20/2015 Introduced In House - Assigned to State, Veterans, & Military Affairs

Is this the kill committee everyone speaks of?
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:53:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Yes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top