Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 7:34:05 PM EDT
Starting January 2015 Pueblo West Sportsmans Assn and Pikes Peak Practical Shooters will host the Precision Field Rifle Match. 9:00 start time and a 12:00 start time. $10 per entry. 3rd Saturday.

All centerfire calibers from 223 - 300 Win Mag are legal. 3200 fps speed limit. No bullet weight restrictions.

No tracer or steel core ammo allowed. If a magnet sticks to it, leave it at home. You will not like the $500 fine for using the above and I wont like my targets getting torn up.

5 shots per string off sticks. 90 seconds.
5 shots per string off pack/ruck. 90 seconds.
5 shots per string prone. 30 seconds.
5 shots per string to be revealed at match. 30-90 seconds. Expect 55 gallon grums, VTAC walls, weak shoulder, ect.

Each string is 5 shots that will be shot twice for a total of 10 shots per position.

Two divisions. Semi-Auto and Bolt/Manual Action.

Start position for all strings will be bolt closed, safety on and shooter in position ready to shoot. When the buzzer goes off shooter will engage all five targets. Hit or miss the shooter will advance to the next target. Like the prairie dog matches of days gone by, only hits count. There is no penalty for misses. Shooting late or not shooting will result in a penalty. Targets will be shot in order, large to small. This will make things easier on the Range Officer and Spotter. If a target is shot out of order there will be no penalty, however only the first attempt on a target is scored.

Shooting sticks may have one, two or three points of contact and saddles may be used.

While shooting off a pack, no part of the rifle may touch the ground. You may use a rear bag of some sort.

While shooting prone, a bi-pod or tri-pod may be used.

The "Position of the month" details will be given at the range on match day and will vary from month to month.

If you can not comply with a shooting positions criteria, you can shoot it however you want but hits will only be worth half (5 vs 10 points) value.

Slings will not be required, but could be very helpful.

Distance for all targets will be 300 yards. Target shapes and sizes will be
10 inch round or diamond
8 inch round or diamond
6 inch round or diamond
4 inch round or diamond
3x5 or some other wickedly ugly target

Dino are I are the match directors. Hit us up with any questions you might have.

More info here...  https://www.ar-15.co/forums/114-Shooting-Sports-and-Events
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Some pictures from yesterdays match.

Here is Lt Jamie shooting her 300 Win Mag and making all the boys cry.  The sparkly sunglasses make me smile.

A nice and quiet AR-15.

A short barreled 308.

Tim K shooting an almost clean run over a barrel.

Mike and his hair.

Sam and the quietest AR-15 I have ever been around.

Noel getting busy.

Shiggy shooting with old school sticks.

James and his cool 223 bolt gun in the process of getting beat by a girl.

Brian and his BFG 9000 hammering some steel and winning the afternoon match.

Jon shooting my AIAW on his way to a 3rd place finish.

Sarah MFB kicking butt with my LaRue OBR in 6 Grendel. She made all but two of the boys cry.

Shawn showing fine form over a barrel.

Stew and his JP in 260 doing some work.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like I need a $10k rifle to go play with you guys
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not at all.  I only showed pics of a few guns  There were 40 different rifles there Saturday.

Little Bob kicked ass with a bone stock Mossberg bolt gun in 223.

Another shooter only missed a total of four targets with a stock Remington 700 in 223 that he tossed in an AI chassis.

Good shooters win matches.  Good gear wont win shit if you dont practice.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Good shooters win matches.  Good gear wont win shit if you dont practice.

View Quote

true.
Intimidating though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
true.
Intimidating though.
View Quote

There is only one way to get better.

The most difficult match you will ever shoot is your first match.

Lots of people let their ego get in the way and never make it out.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't think of it as a match, think of it as an opportunity to train/shoot/learn from a bunch of great folks.

If you keep at it, you become the mentor for the next round of new shooters.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:24:39 PM EDT
[#8]
This is really interesting.  I was surprised to see so many suppressors.  

What sort of equipment (shooing bags, "rucks" etc.) should a guy look at having to be ready to shoot?  This will be helpful even for me to get set up for shooting period.

I'm working to finish my "precision" 223 in an ar chassis this year.  Plan to run a 9-13" Harris bipod.  

Thanks for the pictures and your time to run an event.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:29:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What sort of equipment (shooing bags, "rucks" etc.) should a guy look at having to be ready to shoot?  This will be helpful even for me to get set up for shooting period.

I'm working to finish my "precision" 223 in an ar chassis this year.  Plan to run a 9-13" Harris bipod.  

View Quote

About 1/3 of the shooters were using cans.  Half or more of the cans were Thunderbeast of some flavor.

For a pack any old back pack will do.  Just no shooting off of a bi-pod *and* the pack.

For sticks the old school Stoney Point work just fine.  I use those and a lightweight tri-pod.

A rear bag is common, but not used much outside of prone.  While kneeling it can be tucked under an arm to lock your upper body in, if there is time.

As far as bi-pods go either a Harris or Atlas.  The Harris 9-13 is very common.  The biggest drawback of the Harris is the weight.

Lots of guys were shooting semi-autos.  Being 300 yards and not 40 shots prone, the semis have a bit of an advantage over a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I have wanted to get down there for years to check out many of the matches you run or participate in but can not afford to utilize vacation time to do so.  (The joys of having Saturday as a scheduled part of my work week.)  Looks like I will have to live vicariously through pictures for some time to come.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Thats why I run the tactical rifle matches tailored to AR-15s on fourth Sundays...
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

About 1/3 of the shooters were using cans.  Half or more of the cans were Thunderbeast of some flavor.

For a pack any old back pack will do.  Just no shooting off of a bi-pod *and* the pack.

For sticks the old school Stoney Point work just fine.  I use those and a lightweight tri-pod.

A rear bag is common, but not used much outside of prone.  While kneeling it can be tucked under an arm to lock your upper body in, if there is time.

As far as bi-pods go either a Harris or Atlas.  The Harris 9-13 is very common.  The biggest drawback of the Harris is the weight.

Lots of guys were shooting semi-autos.  Being 300 yards and not 40 shots prone, the semis have a bit of an advantage over a bolt gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much obliged.  Hope to see you in the future at one of your events.  From what I read, looks like 20 total rounds.  Is additional shooting available?  I guess you could hammer out 40 rounds by shooting both start times?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Much obliged.  Hope to see you in the future at one of your events.  From what I read, looks like 20 total rounds.  Is additional shooting available?  I guess you could hammer out 40 rounds by shooting both start times?
View Quote

It is actually 40 rounds total.  You shoot each string of 5 twice for a total of 10 shots at each position.  I had several people shoot both the morning and afternoon matches.  I would have done that also, but there was so many people at the 12:00 match I thought it smarter to just run things instead of shoot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top