Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2014 10:48:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Anywhere within a few block of colfax street and the area called Montebello. Are places to avoid but if youve been to Chicago denver is paradise by comparison
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Say one wanted to head to Denver on business... where are the places/areas in Denver to avoid staying (and conversely, where are the "good" areas)?

I don't want to get a great deal on a hotel, only to find myself in the middle of urban blight.

View Quote

Not sure where you are from, but I moved out here from CA. Grew up in the Long Beach and Orange County areas. I have yet to drive through an area that "put me on guard". Not saying there aren't any, because I haven't been everywhere, but from what I have seen in the past 4 years I wouldn't worry too much about blindly picking a hotel to stay in. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
find myself in the middle of urban blight.

View Quote

Stay the fuck away from Colfax and Five Points, spend a little more on a nice hotel, and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll go against the grain of the norm here and say that there really are no true "urban blight" areas.  Denver is the best big city I've ever been in, and there's really nowhere I truly feel unsafe.  Colfax isn't as bad as some folks on this site want to make it out to be.

Tons of good places to stay, though.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Lots of great hotels in downtown, also the other best alternative would be in the Tech Center.  Of course might depend on where you need to conduct business, if you have a vehicle, etc. Both locations offer the major hotel chains, good restaurants, the Tech Center offers easy access to either I-25 or 225 and is usually easier to access DIA.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lots of great hotels in downtown, also the other best alternative would be in the Tech Center.  Of course might depend on where you need to conduct business, if you have a vehicle, etc. Both locations offer the major hotel chains, good restaurants, the Tech Center offers easy access to either I-25 or 225 and is usually easier to access DIA.
View Quote

Just be forewarned that the DTC area has atrocious rush hour traffic (ETA: in reality, the entire metro area has shitty traffic), so if you're staying there and need to get downtown, add an extra 45 minutes to an hour to do so, each way.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll go against the grain of the norm here and say that there really are no true "urban blight" areas.  Denver is the best big city I've ever been in, and there's really nowhere I truly feel unsafe.  Colfax isn't as bad as some folks on this site want to make it out to be.

Tons of good places to stay, though.
View Quote

All of this is true. I really don't get peoples fear of Colfax.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Budget will really dictate where you want to stay. There are quite a few nice hotels downtown where you can walk to most places.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#9]
We like the Doubletree at the Tech Center.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have time be sure to visit REI for hippy type (but excellent quality) outdoor stuff.

Cabelas also.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I walk between Colfax and 16th St. Mall daily, it's not too bad at all.  There's a few hotels on 16th that wouldn't be bad, but the DTC is  a good option as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top