Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2014 9:06:19 AM EDT
Hello all, I am a master electrician trying to plan a move to Colorado with my family(wife and two boys ages 4, and 8)
I really like the western slope area but it seems jobs are few and far between in that area, so we are openminded as to where we relocate. I can do it all in my field, but I really enjoy fire alarm/access control/security work. My wife is a restaurant manager and also a hell of a waitress. Any info and recommendations are appreciated.  We are anti-liberal and will help vote your bad politicians out   And yes, I will be bringing my preban standard capacity magazines with me.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I am the estimator for a commercial GC in Montrose. We and every one of our subs are slammed. I can't imagine they are not hiring. I can IM you the names of a couple of electrical companies we work with if you'd like.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am the estimator for a commercial GC in Montrose. We and every one of our subs are slammed. I can't imagine they are not hiring. I can IM you the names of a couple of electrical companies we work with if you'd like.
View Quote

That would be great! Thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hello all, I am a master electrician trying to plan a move to Colorado with my family(wife and two boys ages 4, and 8)
I really like the western slope area but it seems jobs are few and far between in that area, so we are openminded as to where we relocate. I can do it all in my field, but I really enjoy fire alarm/access control/security work. My wife is a restaurant manager and also a hell of a waitress. Any info and recommendations are appreciated.  We are anti-liberal and will help vote your bad politicians out   And yes, I will be bringing my preban standard capacity magazines with me.

Thanks!
View Quote

Before i say use the search function, to see the numerous discussions about employment & moving.
I would suggest Northern CO. Ft Collins has more eateries than denver, NoCo jobs are struggling to keep up since the number of qualified people is lower than job openings. I received an e-m from my Weld cty Vet Rep last week saying there were X immediate openings for Electricians @ X company. If you're a vet pm me.

FWIW: not sure what you pay a month for mortgage or rent. Expect to pay $12-1800 per month for rent, IF you can find a place.  It isn't cheap to live here.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I should also say that the available labor pool here is basically dried up. Companies are trying to hire and can't find people. You should be able to find a decent place to rent for $1000-1200 on the western slope.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Your electrical license will not reciprocate with Colorado. If you come make sure you have documented work history as you will be required to show it in order to test for your Journeyman license. Later on you will be able to test for your Masters again.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your electrical license will not reciprocate with Colorado. If you come make sure you have documented work history as you will be required to show it in order to test for your Journeyman license. Later on you will be able to test for your Masters again.
View Quote

Where are you licensed OP?  They are pretty straightforward on the work history, but the tests are not that hard.
You will also end up taking a continuing competency test, which will determine how much,if any, continuing ed you will need.

I did a quick search of DORA, they do offer some reciprocity, depending on which state you hold a lic. in.

4.6 License by Reciprocity.
4.6.1 Conditions for reciprocity. Applicants must:
Code of Colorado Regulations 8
4.6.1.1 Hold, from the licensing state, a journeyman license or a master electrician license, that allows the individual to work as a journeyman electrician, that is current, active, and in good standing;
4.6.1.2 Possess a journeyman electrician’s license, or master electrician’s license from a state that is a member in good standing of the National Electrical Reciprocal Alliance (NERA), or from any entity or jurisdiction that has a reciprocity agreement with the Board.
4.6.2 Applicants will not be granted a reciprocal license where the license in the licensing state was granted by grandfathering without having passed a state-administered examination.
4.7 Military. Education, training, or service gained in military services outlined in §24-34-102(8.5), C.R.S. to be accepted and applied towards receiving a license, must be substantially equivalent, as determined by the Board, to the qualifications otherwise applicable at the time of receipt of application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide timely and complete evidence for review and consideration. Satisfactory evidence of such education, training, or service will be assessed on a case by case basis.
4.8 Reconsideration. An applicant requesting reconsideration of a Board action or requesting a personal interview before the Board, shall submit the request in writing, accompanied by additional information or documentation. This request shall be submitted within forty-five (45) days of the date on which the Board made the decision. Any request filed after forty-five (45) days will not be considered by the Board.
4.9 Temporary Work Permits
4.9.1 Pursuant to § 12-23-110, C.R.S., a temporary work permit may be issued at the time of approval for an examination. The temporary permit will be valid for a period of no more than thirty (30) days after the date of approval or as otherwise limited in § 12-23-110, C.R.S.
4.9.2 A temporary work permit shall not be accepted to meet the requirements for obtaining a new electrical contractor registration.
4.9.2.1 A temporary master electrician work permit may be issued to a qualified applicant of an existing electrical contractor pursuant to § 12-23-110, C.R.S.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Where are you licensed OP?  They are pretty straightforward on the work history, but the tests are not that hard.
You will also end up taking a continuing competency test, which will determine how much,if any, continuing ed you will need.

I did a quick search of DORA, they do offer some reciprocity, depending on which state you hold a lic. in.

4.6.1.1 Hold, from the licensing state, a journeyman license or a master electrician license, that allows the individual to work as a journeyman electrician, that is current, active, and in good standing;
4.6.1.2 Possess a journeyman electrician’s license, or master electrician’s license from a state that is a member in good standing of the National Electrical Reciprocal Alliance (NERA), or from any entity or jurisdiction that has a reciprocity agreement with the Board.
4.6.2 Applicants will not be granted a reciprocal license where the license in the licensing state was granted by grandfathering without having passed a state-administered examination.
4.7 Military. Education, training, or service gained in military services outlined in §24-34-102(8.5), C.R.S. to be accepted and applied towards receiving a license, must be substantially equivalent, as determined by the Board, to the qualifications otherwise applicable at the time of receipt of application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide timely and complete evidence for review and consideration. Satisfactory evidence of such education, training, or service will be assessed on a case by case basis.
4.8 Reconsideration. An applicant requesting reconsideration of a Board action or requesting a personal interview before the Board, shall submit the request in writing, accompanied by additional information or documentation. This request shall be submitted within forty-five (45) days of the date on which the Board made the decision. Any request filed after forty-five (45) days will not be considered by the Board.
4.9.1 Pursuant to § 12-23-110, C.R.S., a temporary work permit may be issued at the time of approval for an examination. The temporary permit will be valid for a period of no more than thirty (30) days after the date of approval or as otherwise limited in § 12-23-110, C.R.S.
4.9.2 A temporary work permit shall not be accepted to meet the requirements for obtaining a new electrical contractor registration.
4.9.2.1 A temporary master electrician work permit may be issued to a qualified applicant of an existing electrical contractor pursuant to § 12-23-110, C.R.S.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will not say what state he is in since he gave me that info in a PM, but I will say his does not reciprocate. He will have to prove his work experience and test.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

Grand Jct is slowly coming back, real estate is pretty affordable right now.   Many of the local guys are working the vail/aspen/glenwood  area till it picks up here.   You would be gone 5 days a week, living in a cheap motel in glenwood.
 Then there is moving to the Rifle/Glenwood area.   HIGH cost of living, but the work is easy to come by.  
 The front range will really give you the most options, if you can stand the city life.

Good luck with your move.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top