Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2014 11:55:48 PM EDT
Hello,

I'll be visiting the Springs in a week or two. What's a popular open to the public handgun range and/or sporting clays range in the area?  I'm coming from WY, am I allowed to bring(travel) with my AR and 30rd mags? Thanks for any advice you can give!

James
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:37:55 AM EDT
[#1]
AR with 30 round mags (or whatever) are fine provided you possessed them prior to July 1 2013.  AR by itself is no issue...just make sure it doesn't have a round chambered while it is in your vehicle.

Dragonmans is near the Springs and there is a newish range (about 2 years old IIRC) right outside the Fort Carson gates.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Cheyenne Mountain shooting range is just south of Ft. Carson, and I believe it's $10?  Pretty good from what I hear, then Dragon Mans which is the same cost, but others, please correct me if I'm wrong.  He has a pretty cool museum too, so that's worth checking out.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm active duty so I may go check out the Ft Carson range. Do they have steel set up on the rifle range?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Only certain target frames are allowed on the range, no steel.  Here's their website, scroll down a bit and look on the right for target information:

http://www.mwrfortcarson.com/#!cmsc/ckyc
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:06:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only certain target frames are allowed on the range, no steel.  Here's their website, scroll down a bit and look on the right for target information:

View Quote

Uh... Yes they had steel there. You can't bring your own but they have steel.

Farthest target is 1070 yards. Half dozen or so between 300 and 600.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:26:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh, I stand corrected!  Good to know.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:44:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Shawnson,

Do you know what range the steel is on? I saw on the website that Range 1 is closed to public shooting M-F.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Shawnson,

Do you know what range the steel is on? I saw on the website that Range 1 is closed to public shooting M-F.
View Quote

Bummer. It is on range 1. I have always been there on weekends so i never knew otherwise.

I have only ever shot on range 1 so that is the only one I can speak about with confidence but I heard mention that range 2 had some. Just not as far.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#10]
anyone know if the hanover range will be accepting new members any time soon?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you guys for all the help.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Bummer. It is on range 1. I have always been there on weekends so i never knew otherwise.

I have only ever shot on range 1 so that is the only one I can speak about with confidence but I heard mention that range 2 had some. Just not as far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shawnson,

Yes, most of the steel is on Range 1.  However, there is also some steel visible from Range 2, just not as far out.  Range 2 has access to a steel elk at ~425 yards and can also see a pair of red scuba tanks at ~600 yards (they are also visible from Range 1).

I live 5 minutes down the road from the place and it is awesome...period.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:12:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes, most of the steel is on Range 1.  However, there is also some steel visible from Range 2, just not as far out.  Range 2 has access to a steel elk at ~425 yards and can also see a pair of red scuba tanks at ~600 yards (they are also visible from Range 1).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shawnson,

Totally agree....the place is awesome. Drove from an hour away to check it out with my kids yesterday. Was put on range 2 and enjoyed it. Only problem was that I would have stayed for hours but the kids wanted to bail after a few hundred rounds.....like they always do....,light weights! I'll be going back again real soon, solo this time!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top