Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2014 1:43:05 AM EDT
I will be passing through CO on my way to Wyoming. I am considering bringing my AR. Did CO recently pass a high cap ban? Is there any issue with having 20-30 round mags or are they just band from sale?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:02:47 AM EDT
[#1]
No issue. They can't prove you didn't own them prior to 1 July 2013. It is a silly, widely ignored law.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:12:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Has nothing to do with you unless you advertise them for sale. You're an OOS resident passing through. Honestly, outside of denver and perhaps some other knee jerk le dept, no one really cares, resident wise.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Not only is the law useless because they have to prove you bought them illegally, many stores are selling the mags still to this day or are selling "mag kits" instead.  You're fine.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:24:43 AM EDT
[#4]
The law is for residents only.  You're fine
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The law is for residents only.  You're fine
View Quote

That is not correct.  As mentioned above, it is virtually unenforceable, but it is not limited to "residents".
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The burden of proof, in regards to date of purchase, rests on the State of CO.  Unless your mags are date stamped, you are ok.  If they are stamped, I find that my magazines tend to "wear"....a lot....right on the date stamp, which makes it impossible to read.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like it is a non issue. Now i just need to decide if my AR comes along or something else.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:26:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The burden of proof, in regards to date of purchase, rests on the State of CO.  Unless your mags are date stamped, you are ok.  If they are stamped, I find that my magazines tend to "wear"....a lot....right on the date stamp, which makes it impossible to read.  
View Quote

This is true, but if you have a "professional" interaction with a law enforcer, and he wants to be a problem, you could be arrested and have your day in court.  Seems to me that even though you would probably win, it would wreck your vacation or your business trip.  I'm not saying you shouldn't bring standard capacity mags, I'm just saying that it could be a hassle even if you aren't convicted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top