Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2014 1:14:06 PM EDT
Greetings from OK!

My wife and I are coming up the the Denver/ Colorado Springs area in a couple weeks for a little weekend get away. We're planning to hit some of the major sights like Pike's Peak, Garden of the Gods, USAFA tour, etc.

Couple questions:

Can anybody recommend a decent $100-ish a night hotel in Denver? We're staying in CO Springs 2 nights, but I think we're going to need at least one night in Denver. Primarily just a place to sleep, but definitely don't want to be in a sketchy area.

I've been to Colorado Springs many times, and Denver a couple times, but I've never been up to Estes Park. We're coming in on Friday and weren't planning on making it up to Estes Park until Monday, spending a few hours there, and then getting back to the airport for our flight out. Are there any MUST SEE places at Estes Park? We plan to stay in Denver the night before and devote the whole day to the park.

What is the driving time from Estes Park to Denver International? What about traffic considerations?

Kind of an odd-ball question... but are there any famous ice cream places in Denver or Colorado Springs? She loves ice cream.

Finally - we are going to try to make it to some nice restaurants for dinner each night. What can you recommend me? We'll probably do two dinners in Denver, and one in CO Springs. Are there any amazing steakhouses? Seafood? Something local? I'm not expecting dinner to be cheap - I could stomach a few $100+ dinner bills if it's delicious- it is vacation after all.

Also if there's any local joints we should hit for lunch, mention those too. I think we'll be in downtown Denver a bit to see a few things, so if there's any lunch type places there, or in CO Springs be sure to mention it.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#1]
For Ice Cream in Colorado Springs try Josh and Johns.  It is downtown on Pikes Peak, between Nevada and Tejon.

For the nice dinner I like MacKenzie's Chop House on S. Tejon.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're planning on hitting downtown Denver, check out the Paramount Cafe on the 16th st mall.  Not too pricey.  If you stay in Centennial/ Englewood area, its not too sketch.  Drive time from DIA to downtown would be about 30~ minutes depending on traffic, to Estes, well, considering I've never been to Estes Park, I couldn't tell you.  But it does take about 30 minutes ~ to get from West Denver to Idaho Springs.  Someone will likely correct me.  Beau Joes Pizza in Idaho Springs is really good pizza, they do have a couple local ice cream shops up that way.  The Tommy Knocker Brewery is really good as well.  
The drive from the Springs to Denver is anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how much lead you have in your foot.  Everyone I've talked to in the springs likes Rudy's BBQ, but I've never been.  Rancho Alegra is pretty decent Mexican food, but I'm sure someone knows a better place.  

Enjoy your time here!  
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are on your way in between COS and Denver stop in Castle Rock and have dinner at Sienna. Outstanding food and martini bar.
http://www.sienacr.com
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Ice Cream at Bonnie Brae's in Denver (Wash Park / Cherry Creek area)... yumm...

www.bonniebraeicecream.com
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:27:55 AM EDT
[#5]
While not a truly "local" restaurant, Tucanos Brazilian Grill is a really good place to eat.  Small chain with really good food.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:41:09 AM EDT
[#6]
What, no love for Casa Bonita
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not even a little.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Every single time I have out of state friends visit, they want to go.

I tell them it's a fun place to get salmonella.

Then we go to Biker Jim's instead, because gourmet hotdogs are awesome.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Greetings from OK!

My wife and I are coming up the the Denver/ Colorado Springs area in a couple weeks for a little weekend get away. We're planning to hit some of the major sights like Pike's Peak, Garden of the Gods, USAFA tour, etc.

Couple questions:

Can anybody recommend a decent $100-ish a night hotel in Denver? We're staying in CO Springs 2 nights, but I think we're going to need at least one night in Denver. Primarily just a place to sleep, but definitely don't want to be in a sketchy area.

I've been to Colorado Springs many times, and Denver a couple times, but I've never been up to Estes Park. We're coming in on Friday and weren't planning on making it up to Estes Park until Monday, spending a few hours there, and then getting back to the airport for our flight out. Are there any MUST SEE places at Estes Park? We plan to stay in Denver the night before and devote the whole day to the park.

What is the driving time from Estes Park to Denver International? What about traffic considerations?

Kind of an odd-ball question... but are there any famous ice cream places in Denver or Colorado Springs? She loves ice cream.

Finally - we are going to try to make it to some nice restaurants for dinner each night. What can you recommend me? We'll probably do two dinners in Denver, and one in CO Springs. Are there any amazing steakhouses? Seafood? Something local? I'm not expecting dinner to be cheap - I could stomach a few $100+ dinner bills if it's delicious- it is vacation after all.

Also if there's any local joints we should hit for lunch, mention those too. I think we'll be in downtown Denver a bit to see a few things, so if there's any lunch type places there, or in CO Springs be sure to mention it.

Thanks!
View Quote

Driving from estes to dia is 2.5 hrs, depending on hwy 34 road conditions and getting through loveland (time of day)  I would take 34 - 25(south)-E470 Again everything depends on time of day. After 2-3 pm SB traffic decides to slow to a crawl, just because someone some where is texting, talking in the left lane doing 55.
FWIW: the right lane is the new left lane.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been there once and never again
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Driving from estes to dia is 2.5 hrs, depending on hwy 34 road conditions and getting through loveland (time of day)  I would take 34 - 25(south)-E470 Again everything depends on time of day. After 2-3 pm SB traffic decides to slow to a crawl, just because someone some where is texting, talking in the left lane doing 55.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Greetings from OK!

Couple questions:

Thanks!

There is that much of a discrepancy between google and actual??

link

If that's the case, we may need to scratch it from our list.

What's the drive time from COS to DIA? Maybe we'll just stay the last night there...
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is that much of a discrepancy between google and actual??

link

If that's the case, we may need to scratch it from our list.

What's the drive time from COS to DIA? Maybe we'll just stay the last night there...
View Quote

I hate to say it, but it's all traffic-dependent.  I live about an hour and 15 minutes from the RMNP entrance on a good day with no traffic.  From my place, on 470, it's about 25 minutes to DIA.

If there's bad traffic coming down the canyon, though, you're gonna add at least an hour to the drive out of EP.

I'd still recommend it, personally, as I feel like you get much more into the mountains in EP and it's way prettier than COS.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ice Cream at Bonnie Brae's in Denver (Wash Park / Cherry Creek area)... yumm...

www.bonniebraeicecream.com
View Quote

+1   on this.   Even if you are passing through it is only 5 minutes from I25.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Checkout the Blue Star for dinner in Colorado Springs. Then after dinner checkout the Ivywild right around the corner. Its an elementary school built in the 20's that is now home to a big regional brewery, Bristol Brewery. A second bar, delicatessen and I think now a bike shop. Anyway its a cool place.

Also look into some of the Restaurants at the Broadmoore. It's a 5 star hotel so I'd imagine some of them are good.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#15]
In the springs, ya have got to hit http://www.jackquinnspub.com/ superb food and excellent Irish Pub

Best ice cream bar none is in Denver, little place called Sweet Action http://www.sweetactionicecream.com/  My favorite is the Stranahans whiskey..
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Biker Jim's is superb...love the deep fried Mac & Cheese...out of this world... Rattlesnake & Pheasant dog topped with the classic & a side of Mac & Cheese...washed down by PBR....ummmmmmm yummmmmmmmmm

http://bikerjimsdogs.com/

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Biker Jim's is superb...love the deep fried Mac & Cheese...out of this world... Rattlesnake & Pheasant dog topped with the classic & a side of Mac & Cheese...washed down by PBR....ummmmmmm yummmmmmmmmm

http://bikerjimsdogs.com/
View Quote

Oh man, the fried mac and cheese is my business!  I normally go with a reindeer dog, Biker Jim's classic style, an order of the fried mac and cheese, and a knuckle biter (PBR & a shot of whiskey).  Delicious!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#18]
If your in the Springs, check out the PepperTree. One of the best steaks you'll have. Their signature pepper steak is cooked table side and the mango chutney they put on it is out of this world. If you save room, the bananas foster is awesome!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For Ice Cream in Colorado Springs try Josh and Johns.  It is downtown on Pikes Peak, between Nevada and Tejon.

For the nice dinner I like MacKenzie's Chop House on S. Tejon.
View Quote

+1 Mackenzies
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top