Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2014 6:58:35 PM EDT
Hello Colorado,

My CCW permit is set to expire in the next couple of months and I'm in my 120 day renewal window.  My permit is with Denver County, which is where I was living at the time I got it in 2009.  I'm in JeffCo now, so I would like to get a permit through JeffCo.

I heard (on NPR of all places) about House Bill 14-1166 which allows permit holders to renew the permit at any Sheriff's office, not just where they were issued the permit initially.  Chickenpooper signed the bill into law on March 14th.  This is perfect timing for me, however looking at JeffCo's site I see that they specifically do not renew permits from other jurisdictions.  Does anyone have any insite, or additional knowledge on this?  Specifically, does anyone know when this bill will go into effect?  I'd like to avoid having to start the whole permit process from the beginning as it's a pain in the neck, and costs a lot more than a renewal.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked at the bill and didn't see anything about an effective date on there, so it may have taken effect immediately when it was signed by the governor...in which case it is entirely possible that the sheriff's office hasn't updated the info on their website yet.  I would give them a call and if the person in records doesn't know, ask to speak to Judy Searle.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Will do, thanks Brother.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Figured I would bump this back up to let everyone know what's going on. JeffCo updated their website with info about HB 14-1166.

http://jeffco.us/sheriff/concealed-handgun-permits/renewal-applicant/

Due to House Bill 14-1166 that went into effect March 14, 2014, you must submit a concealed handgun permit application (new and renewal) to the county sheriff's office where you reside, own property, or own a business.  If you currently have a concealed handgun permit with Jefferson County and now live in another county, you must renew your permit with that county.  No exceptions will be made.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top