Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2013 5:15:00 AM EDT
Hi there,
I figured I would start a post for tracking the status of HB1224 as well as actions we are taking to stop it.

I'll go ahead and start.

Bill status:

The bill is out of committee and will be heard by the House tomorrow (Friday February 15th). After this, if approved, the bill will go to the senate on a TBD date.

My actions:

I've written a personal email to every democrat listed here: http://www.leg.state.co.us/CLICS/CLICS2013A/csl.nsf/DirectoryHou?openframeset . I've compiled their emails into a list that should copy paste into excel and attached it to the bottom of this post.

I urge you guys to write as many representatives as you can with a thoughtful email urging them to vote against HB1224 or add whatever amendments you see fit to lessen the impact.

I have noticed when you write a personal email (not a canned email blast from a lobbyist group) and address it solely to one rep, you have a much better chance of getting a response/dialog with the rep.

Mike

House Democrats:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

House Republicans:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the help.

I'll be calling and emailing today!
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Going down the list of D's and calling all of them.  Getting answering machines.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I just got a reply from Steve Lebsock saying he plans to vote no on 1224.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Going down the list of D's and calling all of them.  Getting answering machines.

Ditto man ditto.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Emailed.  Again.

Mayors Against Guns has been buying ad time on radio.  Heard it on 850KOA this afternoon.  Called the station to complain and tell them I was disappointed they would air an ad with outright lies.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Have we heard of -any- other dems voting no? We need 5....  Lebsock was a *definite* no, no waffling?

(Also are we sure there are no republicans voting yes? It is possible. The margins are so slim on this - everything matters.)
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I sent individual emails to all of the Dems and a group email to all the Repubs.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#9]
We need to add Hickenlooper to the email list: Link  

He says he is okay with magazine limits and background check fees. He does not seem to have a direct email address but he does have this page: hick and he has a Facebook page:facebook page
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Just sent more e-mails, i'll be calling in the morning too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#11]
emails sent, and calls made, I don't have a fax.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Lebsock was planning on voting no on 1224. He said that he would vote yes for some other bills related to guns that pertained to public safety. I assumed this meant Universal BG checks, CBI fees, CCW legislation.

I saw this one tweet that came across #coleg earlier today:

Lynn Bartels @lynn_bartels
WOW. Democrat Dave Young, in tough Greeley district, votes no on CBI gun bill. #coleg

So, you would expect him to follow suit with 1224, unless there was something specific, and unrelated to 1224,  in the BG check fee bill he disagreed with.

Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day.I hope 1224 comes up first when people are actually awake and listening. It seemed like when it went through committee everyone was just going through the motions.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lebsock was planning on voting no on 1224. He said that he would vote yes for some other bills related to guns that pertained to public safety. I assumed this meant Universal BG checks, CBI fees, CCW legislation.

I saw this one tweet that came across #coleg earlier today:

Lynn Bartels @lynn_bartels
WOW. Democrat Dave Young, in tough Greeley district, votes no on CBI gun bill. #coleg

So, you would expect him to follow suit with 1224, unless there was something specific, and unrelated to 1224,  in the BG check fee bill he disagreed with.

Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day.I hope 1224 comes up first when people are actually awake and listening. It seemed like when it went through committee everyone was just going through the motions.

Mike

Mike,

If you've heard at least some positive news on Dave Young and Steve Lebsock I've heard of a couple other possible Democratic votes:  

I'm pretty sure Ed Vigil (D - Fort Garland) is Pro-2A - see the response that member rpmwfo received in this thread:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1439405_Colorado_needs_your_help_on_upcoming_gun_legislation__FIREMISSION_UPDATE_IN_OP.html&page=28

Leroy Garcia (D - Pueblo) is in the Pueblo Chieftan as saying he is not in favor of HB1224.  See the good work from member reptar_head in this thread:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_20/515608____OFFICIAL_TOWN_HALL_MEETING_THREAD___.html&page=1&anc=5603904#i5603904

Dominick Moreno (D - Commerce City) is a toss up to me.  He voted against the HB1048 proposal for "make my day for business" but he was quoted in the Denver Post saying "I'm always hesitant when you impose liability on someone who is not directly responsible,"
Left cold: http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22525681/some-colorado-democrats-are-gun-shy-about-partys

We need five Dems on our side tomorrow so don't give up hope!  Obviously Hickenlooper is a lost cause so our final stand may have to be swaying three Democratic Senators.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:38:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I posted in the other thread...I hand-delivered 65 individually-addressed letters for every representative to the admin person at the house main office at 4:40 this afternoon.  A little late in the day, but hopefully the message gets through - she said she would get the letters distributed at 8 am since I told her it was for a bill being heard tomorrow.

The letter was mainly about HB13-1226 since as a student this is the one that I felt I could take on the best and bring up the most points on, knowing others with personal experience can offer more insight on the other bills.  I did mention in the bottom of the letter that I would be voting against, spreading the word, and working to prevent re-election of any elected official that votes against our 2nd Amendment rights.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone going to the capital tomorrow?
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm trying to get the day off.  What time do they start?
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm going tomorrow to see if I can get in line to sit in the house gallery.  From RMGO:
"Come to the Capitol TOMORROW (Friday, February 15th) and hold your legislator accountable. Your presence in the House gallery will out them on notice that their constituents DO NOT support more gun control. The House session starts at 9:00 AM. Be there by 8:15 AM to ensure you have a seat."

They've been known to toss everyone out of the gallery if things get rowdy so we all need to be on good behavior while showing our presence.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:29:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I hope folks are sending letters to Republicans as well.  The balance is going to be so slim on this that it'd be foolhardy to assume that not one solitary Republican is going to vote 'yes' on 1224. It looks like 3-4 Dems might vote no. That's still not enough. Over on ar-15.co they're concentrating only on the Dem email list. I think they're letting their guard down too early.

I've emailed everyone; crafting some very specific letters to certain Dems who may be swayed and Republicans who may vote yes. The rest, admittedly, were 'form', but, some folks may be fence sitters.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:33:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I have no clue how Young feels on 1224 specifically. It just seemed like a positive sign that he voted no on a CBI fee. I have however, followed up with him one more time via email this morning. Planning to do that on all the dem's that I think can be swayed.

I also tried asking Hickenlooper what changed his mind on mag cap bans. I am surprised he came out in support of it so easily. I heard him on Colorado Public Radio a few weeks ago saying that many studies have found that the AWB and mag cap limits were largely ineffective in preventing crime. The best method I can find of actually reaching him is twitter.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:24:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I just followed up. I just remembered Ed Vigil may be one of the Dems who could be swayed. He was fairly outspoken about the ridiculousness of the "assault weapon" liability bill.

I wrote personal emails to him, Young, and Kagan. Kagan's was specific to keeping magpul in the state as that was something he said would sway him on this bill during the committee hearing.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:48:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just followed up. I just remembered Ed Vigil may be one of the Dems who could be swayed. He was fairly outspoken about the ridiculousness of the "assault weapon" liability bill.

I wrote personal emails to him, Young, and Kagan. Kagan's was specific to keeping magpul in the state as that was something he said would sway him on this bill during the committee hearing.

Mike

I was not able to make it to the Capitol this morning.  Has anyone heard about the town hall meetings being held in Fort Collins and Greeley tomorrow?  Need to find details and flood these things too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:03:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We need to add Hickenlooper to the email list: Link  

He says he is okay with magazine limits and background check fees. He does not seem to have a direct email address but he does have this page: hick and he has a Facebook page:facebook page

This form is how you email him, bill is HB1224

http://www.colorado.gov/govhdir/requests/opinion-leg.html
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:13:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Has anyone heard about the town hall meetings being held in Fort Collins and Greeley tomorrow?  Need to find details and flood these things too.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_20/516368_Open_Carry_Protest.html
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:18:55 AM EDT
[#24]
If you'd like to watch it streaming it is at:

http://www.coloradochannel.net/colorado-house-2013-legislative-day-38
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#25]
I liked Kevin Priola's statement.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:53:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Sorry Colorado. Just watched the vote on 1224 and what they did was the most absurd thing I've seen in politics in some time. And this lady speaking now, Rhonda Feilds? Holy shit who the hell votes for these morons.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Those were voice votes for committee amendments. They're debating the bill as a whole right now.

From twitter:

Eli Stokols @EliStokols
HB1224 VOTE COUNT: R's need 5 D votes to kill ammo ban. Right now, they reportedly have 3: Vigil, Garcia, Lebsock. #COleg
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Am I the only who thinks it is odd/sad that the dems and repubs are served and eat lunch separately?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Am I the only who thinks it is odd/sad that the dems and repubs are served and eat lunch separately?

I think it is interesting that they use different microphones.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Would you want to break bread with the people who want to kick in your door and shoot you in the face or hold you down while criminals have their way with you?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Vigil just spoke against 1224 so I guess that is 1.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Some kind of amendment relating to allowing military "families" to own these magazines? Waiting to see text. Not sure if it means active duty or what.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Apparently it only impacts spouses of active duty military? Unclear if active duty military members are even permitted to transfer >15rds.

Sounds like a cluster f.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Withdrawn.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Was that guy representing Columbine HS's district a democrat?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh hey, at least they are "allowing" us to have multiple magazines.  That guy needs a re-education in American Government.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Just passed the House.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just passed the House.

No. not really. This was only the second reading. There will be a third reading on monday, and it will be taken by roll call. Rarely does roll call vary from the voice vote though, they usually "know where it's going".

But the final in the House will be after the third reading, and that will be done by roll call.

EDIT: May be Tuesday, don't think they're in session for President's day. But I am sure a lot of folks will be reporting that it did pass the house. It still could change, but the roll call vote is mostly procedural.

This was the test though, and if this does pass it likely means everything else will, too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Was that guy representing Columbine HS's district a democrat?

No...
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Can't you boys at least get the number pushed to 21 like Denver.  At least you will have more time to buy decent off the shelf magazines before we all end up with a 7rd limit like NY.

And 20 rd mags have some basis in military technology, NATO allied guns were commonly 20 rd capacities until the mid to late 60s.

Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper has said favors some of the gun-control measures. Hickenlooper supports expanded background checks and indicated Thursday that he could support a potential amendment on magazine sizes, if the restriction was between 15 and 20 rounds.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/16/colorado-gun-bill-could-cost-state-hundreds-jobs/#ixzz2L5HCItf7
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Well. 20 would be better than 15 and 15 is better than 10.

But id rather have no bs ban at all.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well. 20 would be better than 15 and 15 is better than 10.

But id rather have no bs ban at all.

Agreed no BS ban (I one point a greater than 30 amendment was being discusses in committee). .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top