Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2017 7:31:03 PM EDT
Considering a transfer from Everett area to Spokane for work. I would like a few acres with or without a home. I am willing to drive 30 minutes or so. What does $300k or $350k (with home) buy? Is it worth buying in Idaho over Washington? I have 5 acres where I am at now and like the space. I have about 7 or 10 years max to work until retirement. I would like a place to stay in later during retirement. How much hassle is winter driving in the area?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#1]
300k will get you what you want...I live west of spoko..9.5 miles from down town....9 mile falls area is nice 9 miles from downtown..its in Stevens county taxes are lower...area around Cheney is nice...south to spangle...deer park..mead...I haven't heard positive things about Springdale.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
See above post.

I haven't had any problem driving in the winter since 2008 when we had 4 feet of snow the week before Christmas.  It's the the other drivers (idiots) who can't drive in the snow and think 4 wheel drive means they can stop as well as they can go. Winter driving a large part of the reason Spokane is #1 or #2 in per capita Subaru sales in the nation.  And, no, they're not all lesbians. 
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Go Idaho. State Income Tax sucks but what is on the horizon for Washington in ten yrs ( AWB, State Income Tax ) you will be happier.

I'd look for acreage south of Post Falls / South West of Coeur d' Alene off Hwy 95. Land North of CDA towards Spirit lake or Bayview ID is $$$$$ because of retiree Kalifornians and 6 digit pensions. If you can handle farther east there is still good opportunities in the silver valley area.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Mead, Elk, Chattaroy, and Deer Park would be where I would start if you are looking for land in Spokane county.  Spangle and Freeman are two other good areas south of Spokane and have good schools.  $300k will get you what you want in those areas.  As much as I would consider north Idaho, I'm not a fan of the state income tax, however they are far more 2A friendly and the commute isn't too bad from Post Falls, CDA or Rathdrum.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#5]
It really depends on where you are working. You might find acreage with a home in the $300-$350K range going well outside the area, but most likely much higher depending on the quality of home you want to live in.  Real Estate in the CDA/Post Falls area is crazy expensive.  Commuting into downtown Spokane from Mead, Cheney, Airway Heights or Medical Lake isn't too bad, about 30 minutes depending on traffic (which is getting really bad btw).  Deer Park, Spirit lake, Rathdrum, 9 Mile Falls, and Suncrest is anywhere from 45-90 min.   You need to remember that even though Spokane real estate and property isn't crazy like King County, it isn't cheap either.  Most newer homes in developments are in the $225-$300K range. I live in Spokane Valley and my compute of 11 miles to the federal bldg in downtown Spokane takes me about 20 min at 7 am.  At 7:30 its about 30 min, and at 8 about 40 min.  Going home at 4ish its about 30 min.  Add road construction, accidents, or bad weather and it can triple.  Tis isn't small town Washington anymore either.  There is almost a million people in a 40 miles radius of Spokane and this area is becoming very liberal.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Is Idaho's income tax worse than our sales tax though? Jeeze they tax everything thanks to Olympia, and in some cases multiple times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top