Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2017 6:08:31 PM EDT
So, if one wants to begin such action, how do they?

While I hate distracted drivers, the statistics we've been fed simply do not add up.  I'd like to start a campaign to repeal such bullshittery that we have been fed for "the feels" and put forth an initiative (using their game against them) to do such.

How?  Is anyone familiar?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Count me in.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm all for no texting and holding the phone.. but eating, drinking and smoking? Fuck you!
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck that law, guess what I'm still going to eat and drink while I'm driving, give me a ticket for it and you prove your just another tax collector to me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I like this part:

...does not restrict the operation of an amateur radio station by a person who holds a valid amateur radio operator license issued by the federal communications commission.
View Quote
I can call my wife on the Gold Mountain repeater all day long and they can't say squat.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:40:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm all for no texting and holding the phone.. but eating, drinking and smoking? Fuck you!
View Quote
You're all for the tax collector to look inside your vehicle and determine what you're doing wrong and should be penalized for?

Don't get me wrong, texting and driving I get it.  But the additional government intrusion into watching?  As you hold here by mentioninge eating, drinking, smoking (and more) are all a part of the overreach.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone have the full RCW text of the law?

What I found this weekend said nothing about eating & drinking; not talking to passengers, or any of the other BS I have heard on the TV, or from AAA web-sight.

If you are going to run an initiative make it simple and one issue:
No traffic violation shall exceed $1.00 US currency.

Set the fine so low it is not worth giving.

Frees up the cops, and courts.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm all for stopping texting while driving. But what I don't understand is the need for a new law. It's really pretty simple, If a car is swerving all over the road, pull it over! It's not that hard. I see at least three to four of them everyday on my ride to work. The fuckers really make you nervous when you're on a bike. That added bit about not being able to smoke in my own car really piss's me off.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#8]
http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2017-18/Pdf/Bills/Session%20Laws/Senate/5289-S.SL.pdf

I'm actually quite surprised how poorly that statute is written.
It's so full of loop-holes, exceptions and what-nots...

Here's a

(b) "Personal electronic device" means any portable electronic
device that is capable of wireless communication or electronic data
retrieval and is not manufactured primarily for hands-free use in a
motor vehicle.
View Quote
A wireless device that is not normally made for hands-free use...  So, a non-hands-free phone is good to go?

Then there's my favorite:

(ii) Using your hand or finger to compose, send, read, view,
access, browse, transmit, save, or retrieve email, text messages,
instant messages, photographs, or other electronic data; however,
this does not preclude the minimal use of a finger to activate,
deactivate, or initiate a function of the device;
View Quote

Honest officer, I was just finger activating the function on my device!
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2017-18/Pdf/Bills/Session%20Laws/Senate/5289-S.SL.pdf

I'm actually quite surprises how poorly that statute is written.

Here's a

A wireless device that is not normally made for hands-free use...  So, a non-hands-free phone is good to go?

View Quote
Ya, sure, you know how that is going to turn out!

Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#10]
What Im wondering is did they amend the RCW (or wtv it is) to compel you to unlock your phone for a LEO pursuant to a stop? Similar to being compelled to give a breath/blood sample for DUI.

15 digit pin and data wipe turned on for me.

ETA: Not in the linked text above that I can find.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:34:24 AM EDT
[#11]
My understanding is that this was pushed for BY THE INSURANCE COMPANIES, which really makes me suspicious of the actual need for this type of intrusion.

I'd like to know from any rank and file Officers what they think of this.  Are the guys on the ground fully behind this and planning aggressive enforcement?  Or is this really more political in nature and likely to be enforced mostly where the "behavior" also results in observably bad driving?

Rob
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#12]
If it's about distracted driving, what about ignition interlocks? I've never had one but rode with a friend who had one once, going down the road it starts beeping so A. You pull over and blow to keep going or B. You look down, get the mouth piece and blow. Either way their a huge distraction but I guess their ok because their a revenue source?
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#13]
When the seatbelt law was enacted it was enacted as a secondary offense.  Shortly thereafter it was a primary reason to stop people and now they have special emphasis days and weekends on seat belts.

It's a slippery slope, folks.  Give an inch, they'll take a mile.  It just takes time is all.

Some of you are sure all for "MUH GUVAMENTZ"
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#14]
There is currently no new RCW yet. This had been passed by the legislature with the intent of a warning period and then taking full effect in the winter or next spring. The governor skipped a couple steps by making it effective immediately so he could look good on TV.

The best part is when he made it immediately effective, it retired the old distracted driving rcw in exchange for the new one. The new one that doesn't exist and won't for several months.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There is currently no new RCW yet. This had been passed by the legislature with the intent of a warning period and then taking full effect in the winter or next spring. The governor skipped a couple steps by making it effective immediately so he could look good on TV.

The best part is when he made it immediately effective, it retired the old distracted driving rcw in exchange for the new one. The new one that doesn't exist and won't for several months.
View Quote
That's interesting.  It's my understanding that the law took effect as soon as he signed it, but how do they charge someone without an RCW number? All of the news organizations made a big deal about it going into effect last weekend and I expected follow-up stories bragging about how many hundreds of people were caught and ticketed but I have not heard a single thing.

The online version of the RCW is only updated twice a year, so it's possible the "real" version has already been updated.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 3:36:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You're all for the tax collector to look inside your vehicle and determine what you're doing wrong and should be penalized for?

Don't get me wrong, texting and driving I get it.  But the additional government intrusion into watching?  As you hold here by mentioninge eating, drinking, smoking (and more) are all a part of the overreach.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I'm all for a cop pulling over someone who is paying attention to their damn phone instead of the road. If the officer sees the individual in the act they need to pull them over. That's it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No, I'm all for a cop pulling over someone who is paying attention to their damn phone instead of the road. If the officer sees the individual in the act they need to pull them over. That's it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is going to mean very little in the grand scheme.  Any cop could pull around to the right of any stop sign, park, and stand there with his ticket book.  90% or more of the cars approaching that stop sign will never look to the right to see him there; they're looking left for traffic because they intend to blow through the sign if no other cars are coming.  All he has to do is flag them to the side of the road; he'll run out of tickets in his book before he runs out of shift.  Same thing with the right turn on red- nobody stops.

They don't seem to care about stop signs and red lights, which are a real danger to the pedestrians crossing the street; why will they care about something hard to see like cell phones or eating?

Likewise the "emphasis" patrols they advertise for the left lane hogs that won't let you pass.  Every year they announce they're cracking down.  I guess they mean crack-down in the sense that their butts are glued to the seat.

Meanwhile they're in their cars on the phone, on the computer, and on the radio all at the same time while driving!  
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:16:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's interesting.  It's my understanding that the law took effect as soon as he signed it, but how do they charge someone without an RCW number? All of the news organizations made a big deal about it going into effect last weekend and I expected follow-up stories bragging about how many hundreds of people were caught and ticketed but I have not heard a single thing.

The online version of the RCW is only updated twice a year, so it's possible the "real" version has already been updated.
View Quote
Notice was sent out to law enforcement state wide that if someone really wants to write the citation they can try to refer to the legislature session law SB5289 but it will be up to prosecutors to decide if that's valid until a RCW is written and published.

The existing RCWs 46.61.667 and 668 were repealed as of July 23rd.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Notice was sent out to law enforcement state wide that if someone really wants to write the citation they can try to refer to the legislature session law SB5289 but it will be up to prosecutors to decide if that's valid until a RCW is written and published.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which I don't see how that would hold up, a SB is what it refers to, a bill, if they went with it as a RCW wouldn't that set a presdence that any senate bill or even house bill is enforceable as law?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:47:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're cute.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:38:37 PM EDT
[#21]
line 38 of the proposed law says alcohol concentration of "0.04", but doesn't say if that is percent, weight per ounce/pound, or per cubic foot of breath....that could be problematic.  They can't simply assume that "everyone knows" what the underlying amount they were referring to represents.  

I don't drink and drive, so I don't care, but I really dislike poorly written laws or instructions.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You're cute.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're cute.
Drive I-5 and see how many people have their noses buried in their phones. Maybe paying attention to the road will cut down on how many accidents occur and how poorly they drive.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Drive I-5 and see how many people have their noses buried in their phones. Maybe paying attention to the road will cut down on how many accidents occur and how poorly they drive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're cute.
Not as long as it's a secondary, or until it has a RCW
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone know if this has officially been added to the RCW yet?  If so, what is the section?

I'm just curious.  Not planning to intentionally ignore this.

I found this:  Chapter 46.61.667 RCW Dispositions  RULES OF THE ROAD

46.61.667  Using a wireless communications device or handheld mobile telephone while driving.
[2013 c 224 § 15; 2010 c 223 § 3; 2007 c 417 § 2.]
Repealed by 2017 c 334 § 2.

46.61.668  Sending, reading, or writing a text message while driving.
[2013 c 224 § 16; 2010 c 223 § 4; 2007 c 416 § 1.]
Repealed by 2017 c 334 § 2.

EDIT: found it

46.61.672  They did get it in there

Rob
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Here's a

A wireless device that is not normally made for hands-free use in a motor vehicle...  So, a non-hands-free phone is good to go?

Does that mean that if the device isn't made to be primarily used in a motor vehicle then it is legal?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#26]
You beat me to it, new RCWs were published a week or two ago. 46.61.672 and .673.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a

A wireless device that is not normally made for hands-free use in a motor vehicle...  So, a non-hands-free phone is good to go?

Does that mean that if the device isn't made to be primarily used in a motor vehicle then it is legal?
View Quote
I know, what the hell?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Are they seriously saying that people can't have a smoke while they drive? I don't smoke in my car, but the freedom to do so is mine. When I did smoke in my car, I would have found this law just as stupid then. I completely understand about not texting and driving, but that's about it. I pose a question, what about the cops who are on their phones, or sending messages on their in car computers? Anyone who says it doesn't happen is either foolish, or lying. I wore the badge most of my adult life. We used to MDC message each other all of the damn time. This is a BS law.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Are they seriously saying that people can't have a smoke while they drive? I don't smoke in my car, but the freedom to do so is mine. When I did smoke in my car, I would have found this law just as stupid then. I completely understand about not texting and driving, but that's about it. I pose a question, what about the cops who are on their phones, or sending messages on their in car computers? Anyone who says it doesn't happen is either foolish, or lying. I wore the badge most of my adult life. We used to MDC message each other all of the damn time. This is a BS law.
View Quote
Revenue generator, if it was about safety, they'd had stopped with texting and cell phone use. The rest, just a new money maker, and guess what, I will bet next year it becomes a primary offense as it's not effective enough so we need to up the offense.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Everyone knows police are specially trained to operate a computer and cell phone while driving.  Move along citizen!
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Here's a

I think my antique Garmin GPS would fit the definition for getting me a violation, even though it just sits in a holder stuck to the windshield.  Apparently, so would any other GPS device because they electronically receive data.

View Quote
I wonder if my antique Garmin GPS would be exempt, or would it all depend on the mood of the officer that wants to have a chat?  The device is primarily finger activated, but so are many cell phone app like waze.  

As has been said before, the law is poorly written.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top