Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2017 2:44:34 PM EDT
Looks like I have to retitle my boat because it has a "hidden number" whatever the hell that means. Sounds like I'm going to have to change the boat I.D. numbers as well. More money! more money! more money! Anyone know anything about this?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I know a lot of people title their boats in Idaho.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#2]
This happened to me too when I went to renew my boat registration.

I called DOL, their explanation was some boats VIN (HIN) numbers don't meet Coast Guard criteria. I asked then to explain what was wrong with my current number, and they said that one of the twelve characters was a letter when it should have been a number, so it was non-conforming.

I figured the lady on the phone was simply earning a paycheck so I didn't cuss her out, even though my mind was circling around the b.s. of this ridiculous change. I have had this boat registered in Washington for the past 25 years, and now suddenly I have to have new HIN plates made and attach them to the boat!?!?!?

I considered writing a letter to the Commandant of the Coast Guard in Washington D.C., explaining the stupidity of this rule, and how much it will cost me to conform to Washington states interpretation of their rules. I suspect someone is overzealous, wearing their panties too tight, or both. Ultimately I figured I am too old and tired for this fight, and will simply bite the bullet.

Another example of bureaucracy run amok!
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This happened to me too when I went to renew my boat registration.

I called DOL, their explanation was some boats VIN (HIN) numbers don't meet Coast Guard criteria. I asked then to explain what was wrong with my current number, and they said that one of the twelve characters was a letter when it should have been a number, so it was non-conforming.

I figured the lady on the phone was simply earning a paycheck so I didn't cuss her out, even though my mind was circling around the b.s. of this ridiculous change. I have had this boat registered in Washington for the past 25 years, and now suddenly I have to have new HIN plates made and attach them to the boat!?!?!?

I considered writing a letter to the Commandant of the Coast Guard in Washington D.C., explaining the stupidity of this rule, and how much it will cost me to conform to Washington states interpretation of their rules. I suspect someone is overzealous, wearing their panties too tight, or both. Ultimately I figured I am too old and tired for this fight, and will simply bite the bullet.

Another example of bureaucracy run amok!
View Quote
Sure it's even the coast guard? Could be another way for Washington State to take in more revenue.

Someone at DOL is instructed to think of ways to bring in more money, they sit around a table and someone says, "hey let's reinterpet the laws" suddenly they now have a extra few hundred thousand dollars.

Kinda interesting coincidence this is happening during a major money shortage and double extended budget sessions in Olympia?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:37:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sure it's even the coast guard? Could be another way for Washington State to take in more revenue.

Someone at DOL is instructed to think of ways to bring in more money, they sit around a table and someone says, "hey let's reinterpet the laws" suddenly they now have a extra few hundred thousand dollars.

Kinda interesting coincidence this is happening during a major money shortage and double extended budget sessions in Olympia?
View Quote
I bought a boat and an untitled trailer from Oregon (they don't register small trailers). After inspection, plates, and tags for both I was out over $300 not including any use tax . Sours a cheap deal.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#5]
WHy not just stop by the Coast Guard office in Seattle if your able to to find out if it's true.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
WHy not just stop by the Coast Guard office in Seattle if your able to to find out if it's true.
View Quote
I agree, it would be interesting to know. To me I simply see it as another way to raise revenue, and blame it on someone else. Let's face it, the state is broke, we can't even pay for education but let's buy more shit for all those entitlements.  Lie to us commoners and maybe they won't revolt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top