Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2017 12:15:36 PM EDT
Last Friday West Coast Armory notified the FNRL range officers that the training bay is no longer available for the regular Friday Night Rifle League event, after hosting the event for about a decade.

Personally this makes me sad. We had an active thread here that went on for quite some time, and got me involved on Fridays, which led to 3-gun competitions and some great people.

The organizers are looking for a new venue. If anyone knows of a facility, either indoors or outdoors, able to host a weekly event let me know and I'll pass it along.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought the Rifle League was being put on by WCA. What happened with them?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought the Rifle League was being put on by WCA. What happened with them?
View Quote

FNRL is organized, staffed, equipped and run by volunteer RO's within the safety and business restrictions imposed by the range. WCA provides the facility, occasional targets, and staff oversight, but the event is not conducted by the range.

Regarding the reason for the cancellation, some of the range staff post here and I invite them to provide feedback. The official reason was something along the lines of "business reasons". Apparently it's possible that WCA might reinstate the league at some time in the future.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:58:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Went to the range to check in not knowing that it was cancelled. I'll check this thread periodically to see if someone finds a new venue. This sucks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The range has historically done a poor job of posting notices when the event was preempted by training or other events. They typically place a notice on the FB page and leave it up to word of mouth from there.

It's likely people will trickle in to WCA over the next few months looking for FNRL and be turned away.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:10:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I showed up at WCA on Friday 3/3/2017 expecting to attend FNRL and was told "That's not happening anymore".  The guy working the counter didn't have any further info but it was clear this was a recent decision as he said they were having to inform people as they came in.  I emailed them later that night asking what happened and the reply was "...the change is mainly due to the range needing the rifle league time slot for other member activities."  What's odd about that explanation is that their events calendar is virtually empty except for Mondays and Tuesdays.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:27:57 AM EDT
[#6]
On the 24th it was cancelled for a local PD training.
The organizers and community were told, via the FNRL Facebook page, that it would be business as usual thereafter.
The afternoon of the 24th, the organizers were told FNRL was cancelled for any future dates, with no explanation given.

We don't really know why WCA cancelled FNRL.

I've been shooting FNRL at WCA for 6 plus years.

Extremely dismayed and disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds to me like they wanna get paid for use of the facility.

Maybe approach them and set up a weekly fee to support the FNRL?

If I lived closer, I'd be all over that.

I try VERY hard to never go south of the Skagit/Snohomish county line.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#8]
And I don't think anyone would disagree that they should be paid for the use of the facility.  I sort of thought that's what the $15 fee was for.  I'd gladly pay 2x or 3x that rate if that's what it takes.  From what I know that wasn't even discussed as an option, rather it was the lack of discussion and the "you're cancelled" as a hard message that has bothered me most.  Just seems like a big FU to a community that has supported them for years.  I was even at Bellevue City Hall to support them back when they were fighting for the right to open the range in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Each shooter pays $15 directly to the range. As stated, the league RO's earn nothing. They are volunteers. Unpaid. They provide the labor and the range props. Approximately every 3rd or 4th week the range provided 13 IPSC targets. The league RO's provided the lath they were stapled to, the staples and the labor.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:01:36 AM EDT
[#10]
How many people were there usually?

That's too bad, sounds like a good time.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:43:31 AM EDT
[#11]
20+ was pretty typical.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sounds to me like they wanna get paid for use of the facility.

Maybe approach them and set up a weekly fee to support the FNRL?

If I lived closer, I'd be all over that.

I try VERY hard to never go south of the Skagit/Snohomish county line.
View Quote

We did the math and rent generated by the facility isn't the likely answer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#13]
The range charges $15 per head for FNRL. Anywhere from 15 to 30 shooter each friday.

Before common core the answer was $225 - $375 take at the gate for 2 hours. Apparently the new common core standards make that insignficant. There was very little direct cost. Ventilation and heat. For those who are slow at reading or have me on ignore, the FNRL RO's earn nothing from this. They are not paid. All the entry fees go to the range. The range was providing 13 IPSC targets probably every 3 - 4 weeks, when there was more tape than cardboard on the old targets . The RO's supplied the stage props - barricades and such - and the lath to support the targets. Out of their own pockets.

And don't forget foot traffic through the shop. There were people buying cans and complete guns there. One shooter told me they had spent $15k in the pro shop.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#14]
3-4 weeks? I feel like it was 3-4 months between targets.

Anyways, I heard an interesting rumor that Lance may be trying to sell the range.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
20+ was pretty typical.
View Quote

Dude. You should've seen it when the thread was running here in the HTF. Some nights you couldn't move because there were so many people. And we kept shooting even through the lean times after the various panics. When you couldn't find ammo

That was all self organized. The range did nothing to promote the event. Hell, two WCA RSO's work there because they used to shoot with us on Friday evenings.

And we kept shooting even during the lean times after the various panics. When you couldn't find ammo, and what you could find was outrageously expensive. You know, the more I think about this, the less gruntled I get. Approaching disgruntled.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Any possibility of this continuing at a different range? I'd be happy to join in on it.

Still looks like they're working on finishing, but the new WGS range in Lakewood looks like it is going to be a nice facility.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:47:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh I was definitely there on some nights when it was shoulder-to-shoulder, easily 40 people, finishing the 2nd run well after the 9pm closing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:52:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Any possibility of this continuing at a different range? I'd be happy to join in on it.

Still looks like they're working on finishing, but the new WGS range in Lakewood looks like it is going to be a nice facility.
View Quote

I just drove by that place. What's the story on membership/range types etc?  It's a little out of my way but I'll check it out once they open.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:15:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lakewood would be a total non-starter for FNRL.  The main organizer lives near Kirkland.  Google Maps shows the average commute time from middle eastside to Lakewood at 1.5 to 2.5 hours for a 5PM arrival in Lakewood. Bump that up to a 6PM arrival time, and the base stays the same (1.5 hours), but the max gets close to 3 hours.  I live in Renton, and I wouldn't make that trek every Friday night either (1-2 hours typical it says.)

Now, if a south-ender wants to franchise FNRL and start it up in Lakewood, that would be one thing.  But I'm thinking very few of the current FNRL crew would make that trip.

Edit: and another factor that I just tin-foiled......
When I started shooting FNRL, it was at WSI.  They closed, so we moved to Wade's.  We lost our Friday night slot at Wade's (got moved to Sunday, numbers dropped to 6 or 7), and then we moved to WCA.  So a big knock against WGS would the fact that it starts with a W.....  We need to break the W Curse!!!!

Edit2:  OMG, the conspiracy goes EVEN DEEPER!!!!
WSI:  3 letter acronym that starts with W.  Weapon Safety Inc.
WEG: 3 letter acronym that starts with W. Wade's Eastside Guns
WCA: 3 letter acronym that starts with W. West Coast Armory
WGS: 3 letter acronym that starts with W.  Welcher's Gun Shop

Bad juju, very bad juju!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Lakewood would be a total non-starter for FNRL.  The main organizer lives near Kirkland.  Google Maps shows the average commute time from middle eastside to Lakewood at 1.5 to 2.5 hours for a 5PM arrival in Lakewood. Bump that up to a 6PM arrival time, and the base stays the same (1.5 hours), but the max gets close to 3 hours.  I live in Renton, and I wouldn't make that trek every Friday night either (1-2 hours typical it says.)

Now, if a south-ender wants to franchise FNRL and start it up in Lakewood, that would be one thing.  But I'm thinking very few of the current FNRL crew would make that trip.

When I started shooting FNRL, it was at WSI.  They closed, so we moved to Wade's.  We lost our Friday night slot at Wade's (got moved to Sunday, numbers dropped to 6 or 7), and then we moved to WCA.  So a big knock against WGS would the fact that it starts with a W.....  We need to break the W Curse!!!!

Bad juju, very bad juju!
View Quote

Totally understand the commute keeping people from attending. I know I wouldn't make it every week myself.

Last I heard about WGS was they are waiting for ground temps to come up before laying the parking lot. Their facebook page said they weren't going to do memberships initially, just hourly for now. When they open, maybe we can arrange some meetups for us Tacoma folks, to gauge interest and attendance.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#22]
20 years ago it was at another place that went under.

Places will come and go,  If wca doesn't want your $500+, somebody else will.

I assume the girl with purple hair and a fal isn't winning every weekend?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
20 years ago it was at another place that went under.

Places will come and go,  If wca doesn't want your $500+, somebody else will. I assume the girl with purple hair and a fal isn't winning every weekend?
View Quote

She rarely drops out of the top 3.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:21:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Lance, owner of WCA has posted in the FNRL FB group.  Seems that he had considered shutting it down months ago due to having to keep an employee there late to lock up at the end, but the reason for the sudden and unannounced shutdown was some vandalism that occurred in a bathroom.  Not sure how it was attributed to a FNRL participant though.  He did mention that he is considering allowing it to resume on a bi-weekly basis if they are unable to find a new home for it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:30:43 AM EDT
[#25]
It sounded like a lame excuse.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:49:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Lance, owner of WCA has posted in the FNRL FB group.  Seems that he had considered shutting it down months ago due to having to keep an employee there late to lock up at the end, but the reason for the sudden and unannounced shutdown was some vandalism that occurred in a bathroom.  Not sure how it was attributed to a FNRL participant though.  He did mention that he is considering allowing it to resume on a bi-weekly basis if they are unable to find a new home for it.
View Quote

I think that was posted in a different gun related FB group, not in FNRL. It was talking about FNRL, but has nothing to do with FNRL other than some of those members occasionally showing up to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think that was posted in a different gun related FB group, not in FNRL. It was talking about FNRL, but has nothing to do with FNRL other than some of those members occasionally showing up to shoot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happened on late friday before FNRL was out, happened more than once.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To clarify my comment.  It was first posted 2 weeks ago in a non-FNRL FB group that vandalism (multiple instances apparently) was the primary driver for canceling FNRL.  Only last night in the actual FNRL FB group was any mention made of vandalism.

And to ScorpioMk's comment, while that may be true, how does that in any way mean the vandalism was due to FNRL, or someone attending it?  Coincidence is not causation.  I hope whoever stole the signs and caused the damage is caught and prosecuted.  At the very least, a public outing, reparations to WCA and a lifetime ban from WCA.  Sadly, I don't think there is enough evidence to pinpoint this individual or individuals.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

To clarify my comment.  It was first posted 2 weeks ago in a non-FNRL FB group that vandalism (multiple instances apparently) was the primary driver for canceling FNRL.  Only last night in the actual FNRL FB group was any mention made of vandalism.

And to ScorpioMk's comment, while that may be true, how does that in any way mean the vandalism was due to FNRL, or someone attending it?  Coincidence is not causation.  I hope whoever stole the signs and caused the damage is caught and prosecuted.  At the very least, a public outing, reparations to WCA and a lifetime ban from WCA.  Sadly, I don't think there is enough evidence to pinpoint this individual or individuals.
View Quote

What I gathered was that it happened after close, but before FNRL was gone.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What I gathered was that it happened after close, but before FNRL was gone.
View Quote

That was implied but never stated. I believe it is incorrect. The shop is locked down when we depart and we exit through the side door next to bay 3. The bathrooms are through bay 2 and down the hall. Range staff lock up after us. I expect that they would notice the noise of someone destroying drywall in the head.

To restate: FNRL occupies bay 3. The restrooms are beyond bay 2, through 2 airlock doors, and right next to the range officer booth. How do the RO's become responsible for policing those facilities in addition to running a safe action shooting event?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Bad juju, very bad juju!
View Quote

Golly Gee Wiz...I was thinking about starting a FNRL South, but now that the CURSE OF THE W perhaps not.

Kidding aside:
If anyone is interested in an FNRL South, perhaps WGS, would be a good place to do this.  I can make this one much easier than going to Bellevue once a week.  

Needs:
Ask to WGS if this can be done.

2 people that can be there every Friday Night to be RSO, COF planers.

Props (barricades, walls, storage {on sight}).

Weapons Rack

2 Blue tool boxes (contents of each: copy of rules, copy of sign in sheet, 1 clip board, 2 roles of white tape, 6 roles of brown tape, 4 staplers, 2 boxes of staples, shot timer, extra batteries, one quick clot, one Israeli Bandage, and a purple gel pen)

An agreeable, firearms friendly place for dinner, that is nearby.  Hypo-Nachosic syndrome must be kept to a minimum.

One subscription to Hot Sauce of the Month Club.

I am fairly certain that FNRL would share a copy of their rules, sign in sheets, etc.  

Who is interested?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm interested as it'd be much easier for me as WCA was the opposite direction from me.  WGS sounds like it's going to have a nice facility and it's a reasonable drive for me. 

ETA would love to be able to keep the low light/no light option as it gives me a chance to run my bino NOD's. 
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Golly Gee Wiz...I was thinking about starting a FNRL South, but now that the CURSE OF THE W perhaps not.

Kidding aside:
If anyone is interested in an FNRL South, perhaps WGS, would be a good place to do this.  I can make this one much easier than going to Bellevue once a week.  

Needs:
Ask to WGS if this can be done.

2 people that can be there every Friday Night to be RSO, COF planers.

Props (barricades, walls, storage {on sight}).

Weapons Rack

2 Blue tool boxes (contents of each: copy of rules, copy of sign in sheet, 1 clip board, 2 roles of white tape, 6 roles of brown tape, 4 staplers, 2 boxes of staples, shot timer, extra batteries, one quick clot, one Israeli Bandage, and a purple gel pen)

An agreeable, firearms friendly place for dinner, that is nearby.  Hypo-Nachosic syndrome must be kept to a minimum.

One subscription to Hot Sauce of the Month Club.

I am fairly certain that FNRL would share a copy of their rules, sign in sheets, etc.  

Who is interested?
View Quote

You can count me in!  I could probably volunteer once every two weeks and participate the opposite.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You can count me in!  I could probably volunteer once every two weeks and participate the opposite.
View Quote

Same here. Would be happy to share a similar rso/firing rotation.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Lame

Only attended a few times, drive from camano sucked but had a good time.

The fnrl and tnpl are the only reasons I have been to that range, and In doing so caused me to spend a few bucks in the store.

If a new fnrl were to happen a bit north I would be all over that!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I was planning on going tonight.  It's been a few years and it's unfortunate that they're no longer hosting it.  

What about Tacoma Sportsman's Club?  They could rent the entire pistol range.  There's also West Coast Armory North in Everette.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I could probably volunteer once a month at wgs if that came to pass
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top