Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2017 11:39:26 PM EDT
Going to the James G Murphy auction this Saturday to try and find a vehicle for a decent price. Does anyone here have any experience with vehicle auctions?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:25:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I went one time... never again. Car dealers are there and if it's a good deal.. they'll buy it up. I found the prices went for what you could buy them for directly... plus it's a long day to go do those things... I hope your experience is better than mine
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:39:09 AM EDT
[#2]
With how little you know about the cars, I saw a lot more risk than reward every one I've been to. Ymmv. Remember the additional house cut on top of whatever you bid... And if applicable credit card fees and the like.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm looking for a fleet maintained vehicle. That's a little disheartening to hear about the dealers. Well, hopefully I can get a fleet truck or Tahoe.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I casually watch the Gov Liquidation, Iron Planet and Washington State auctions and am continually amazed at how much items, especially vehicles and trailers, end up selling for in this area. Makes no sense.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]
This one is a local for me. It's in Kenmore, at the north end of Lake Washington. They seen to have a lot of vehicles from city, county, police, and companies like PSE.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went one time... never again. Car dealers are there and if it's a good deal.. they'll buy it up. I found the prices went for what you could buy them for directly... plus it's a long day to go do those things... I hope your experience is better than mine
View Quote

+1 for this one.... Car dealers scoop scoop 'em up!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]
i personally wouldn't buya fleet vehicle-  especially not pse
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Bought a small truck at an auction once - what a turd.
It's where a vehicle goes when a small-time dealer can't see it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:59:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, it was an informative trip. I'll probably be attending the next one in April.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#10]
James Murphy's auction can be hit or miss.   Usually a lot of cars but it's open to the public and on Saturdays so can be a shit ton of people there. Less likely to get a steal.  But you could still get a decent vehicle for a decent price.   Get there early and look over whatever it is you want very well.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#11]
One bit of advise: when you go to the auction to buy a car, it is best not to buy 3.  The Mrs wasn't too thrilled.

Come to think of it, my dad came home with 3 once.  The results at home were the same.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife said she was glad she came with me, otherwise I probably would have come home with two Police Harleys. She was correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top