Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty ridiculous amount of time spent on safe storage

Not as many panels allowed for AWB.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Mark Roe, Prosecutor of 30 years, and he has choke up emotions like that?

Fake emotions.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mark Roe, Prosecutor of 30 years, and he has choke up emotions like that?

Fake emotions.
View Quote

Those high velocity magazines must have touched him in some pretty bad places
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't understand the "no questions asked" thing. He knows there was a background check.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Bullshit meter really went off with the "no questions asked" statement. Also, bringing in a kid whose family had possessed assault rifles back in Somalia? All I'm hearing are the same old arguments and feel good fuzzy feelings instead of any real "common-sense" reasoning. But we kinda knew that already...
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I love how the Attorney General dodged the committee member question on how is a semi automatic pistol is considered an assault weapon.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the updates folks. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the updates folks. I appreciate it.
View Quote

The full video should be available later on TVW and it's worth watching.

Overall, as was mentioned, lots of discussion on safe storage, not nearly enough time on AWB. Proponents glossed over the contents of the bill, or didn't even speak to the bill. A number of family members of victims of gun violence spoke, but nobody addressed very well how the proposed legislation will make folks safer or prevent crime.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Not going to lie, I wanted to ask the Somali kid, "How many Rangers did your daddy kill?"

His talking about issues in Somali had absolutely nothing to do with our own issues.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I was sitting in the very back row of the main hearing room.  I had signed up to testify, but with 53 "con" and 18 "pro" on HB1387, I figured there would be zero chance I actually got a chance to speak.  

As has been noted, the time given to the safe storage bill was unbalanced vs. the even more contentious AWB.  Also, I was disgusted with much of the testimony from the left on the safe storage bill.  One woman even admitted that firearms were taken from her home and used to commit a crime.  I don't think she realizes that under the proposed bill, she'd be charged with a felony!  What, do you need legislation to give you common sense???  You left your guns unsecured because it wasn't the law?  But had it been a law, then your guns wouldn't have been taken and used in a evil fashion?  I was also disgusted by the fake tears on the "pro" side as well.  I'm truly sad that these people had evil and pain visited upon them, but that isn't justification to try and legislate my rights away.

One thing a friend pointed out, which I think is an excellent point, is the outrage over a possible "Muslim Registry."  The left's gnashing and wailing about the proposal, saying it is unconstitutional and we should shouldn't judge or penalize an entire category of people for the actions of a few is the perfect argument to throw in their faces about HB1387.  HB1387 is a registry of gun owners simply because they want to exercise their 2nd Amendment and Article 1-24 rights with a modern sporting rifle.  It's the exact SAME thing as a "Muslim Registry."  Yet the left wants to categorize an entire group of individuals (gun owners) based on the actions of a few (criminals) and fail to the see the hypocrisy in their positions.  

The various arguments that we can make also have potential pitfalls.  I was going to make the point that if HB1387 passes, it will actually be easier and less restrictive for an Oregon resident to buy a machine gun than for a Washington resident to buy an 11rd magazine.  The pitfall is that it would appear that we are OK with the NFA process and the clear 2A infringement that it is.  

Other than the acquisition cost of the MG, the process is going to be cheaper too!  Think about that!
Buying a machine gun in OR or ID or other state that allows them:
Find MG and shell out a huge pile of cash.
Fill out Form 4 with fingerprint cards (roll your own) and passport photos (roll your own too) ($10 for materials, or $40 to have them done professionally.)
Mail in form with $200 and wait.  Sure, it's currently 1 year, but that will come down soon as the NFA branches catches up
Take MG home, store it however you like, shoot it, etc.  Under your bed, cocked and locked?  Fine.  In your closest?  No problem.  Cocked and locked muzzle down by your entry door?  Not a problem.
No ongoing fees or hassles other than 5320.20's (free).
Total six year cost of regulation: $240 max.

Buying an 11rd magazine in WA:
Attend 3 hour training class ($100)
Apply for a AWB/LCAM license ($50)
Wait (hope) for license to be approved.
Buy 11rd magazine after a wait.  
Go back to police station to have license updated with 11rd magazine added to license.
Be sure to lock up magazine when not physically in your possession, and unloaded too.
Year two: pay another $30 and wait for a background check.  hope license is issued
Year three: pay another $30 and wait for a background check.  hope license is issued  
Year four: Class is now too old, take class again ($100) and pay another $30 and wait for a background check.  hope license is issued
Year Five: pay another $30 and wait for a background check.  hope license is issued
Year Six: pay another $30 and wait for a background check.  hope license is issued
Total 6 year cost of licensing requirements: $400

Yes, $70 a year just to have ONE 11rd magazine!

But hey, don't you DARE ask for photo ID to be able to vote.....  
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Pinged Chris Vance.  He said there's no chance for any of them to pass.  I hope he's right.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:00:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Sure liked the spin on tonights news. I think this is going to eventually become one hell of a fight.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:26:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
1387 just started

AG made some false statements right off the bat. "Assault rifle background checks are done by the dealer only, not by law enforcement."
View Quote

Was he under oath? Isn't that illegal? What a hypocritical Turd.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:40:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1387 just started

AG made some false statements right off the bat. "Assault rifle background checks are done by the dealer only, not by law enforcement."

No, not under oath or illegal.

It's unlikely the AG doesn't know how the process works. It's just easier to miss a few facts when they aren't helpful in making your own point.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#15]
The guy proposed his own legislation on the issue, and he's an AG. I'm going with "he's a no good POS liar" until I see proof that he's merely incompetent.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's unlikely the AG doesn't know how the process works. It's just easier to miss a few facts when they aren't helpful in making your own point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1387 just started

I think it was an intentional lie about the process of buying a rifle as part of a longer term strategy to make passing an initiative easier. It is easily sound-bit for the low-information voter, and of course that plays to the short-title wording of the initiative to come.  "To impose background checks and waiting periods on assault weapons, require licensing, and other actions" for example. Voters would naturally assume "wait, you don't need a background check to buy an assault weapon?  That's not right!  I'm voting yes"...

I really think Ferguson is that diabolical and willing to sacrifice integrity to achieve his political ambition.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Good insights Scollins, and thanks for showing up.  Wish I would have known you were there so I could have met up with you.

Brian Blake, who has helped us with suppressors and SBR's, echoed what other representatives have said, both bills are dead on arrival.  They certainly will not make it through the house.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good insights Scollins, and thanks for showing up.  Wish I would have known you were there so I could have met up with you.

Brian Blake, who has helped us with suppressors and SBR's, echoed what other representatives have said, both bills are dead on arrival.  They certainly will not make it through the house.
View Quote

Do you think the AG designed it to be so far reaching as to fail (gotta admit, these bills are a stretch)?
If so, whats the long game in that? Just to show how tough he wants to be on guns for his campaign for gov? Or to build a launchpad for an initiative?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I appreciate everyone that attended, thank you. I am out of town this week and was unable to attend; however, emailed and called all of my reps prior to the hearings.

Curious on, what we do next, wait for the next hearing? Is there more that we can do, for those that are versed in how Olympia works?

Kind regards.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Do you think the AG designed it to be so far reaching as to fail (gotta admit, these bills are a stretch)?
If so, whats the long game in that? Just to show how tough he wants to be on guns for his campaign for gov? Or to build a launchpad for an initiative?
View Quote

I think Turd F. sees it as both a launchpad for his own political ambitions and a rallying cry for the initiative process (e.g. "the special interests and NRA blocked this common sense legislation in the legislature, let's save the children and pass it ourselves!").
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think Turd F. sees it as both a launchpad for his own political ambitions and a rallying cry for the initiative process (e.g. "the special interests and NRA blocked this common sense legislation in the legislature, let's save the children and pass it ourselves!").
View Quote

This is exactly whats happening. And the news is already completely on board with it. Already talk of closing a loophole
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Initiative process needs an overhaul...
King Co. could effectively vote in anything they want, at the detriment of the rest of the state. This is why the founders were against democracy.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I think the people of Snohomish should start a recall campaign against Snohomish County Prosecutor Mark Roe, either for perjury (lied to the hearing panel) or negligence (does not know the law).

Snohomish County Prosecutor Mark Roe posed this question: “Should someone be able to walk into a sporting goods store and with no questions asked, walk out with a high velocity, high capacity weapon and a whole bunch of bullets?”
View Quote

As he is tasked with prosecuting people for violating our laws, he should KNOW the laws.  As such, he should know that nobody can go to a licensed dealer and acquire any firearm with "no questions asked".  The 4473 has no less than 26 questions that must be answered, plus provide a government issued photo ID, and a "Proceed" response from NICS (run by the FBI) must be received before they "can walk out" with any firearm.  I-594 has also made it a crime to acquire ANY firearm without going through a dealer, so for someone to comply with the law, many questions must be asked and answered, and a background check must be done.  And from a practical perspective, it takes about 2 hours to complete a sale at Cabela's, so it isn't merely "walk in, hand over money, walk out" in no time flat.....

If that person doesn't get an immediate "Proceed", they have to wait until a response is received from NICS, or 10 business days have elapsed.  Yes, the Federal limit is 3 business days, but I-594 makes the state limit 10 business days.  If state agencies have information that would disqualify the transfer, and they have not submitted that information to the FBI, then that state agency is derelict in their duties.  So whether a local LE agency runs the background check on behalf of the dealer, or the dealer contacts the FBI directly, there should be ZERO difference in the results of the background check.

So Mr Roe, which is it?  Did you intentionally lie to the committee in Olympia by providing false testimony, or are you ignorant of the laws you are required to know?  Either way, it sounds like you are not qualified to hold the position and should resign immediately.  Otherwise the residents of Snohomish County should immediately petition for a recall.  You have faced recalls in the past for other issues, so it is clear you don't have the integrity to fulfill the duties of the position.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is exactly whats happening. And the news is already completely on board with it. Already talk of closing a loophole
View Quote

As I mentioned in another thread, the news is misrepresenting what these bills do. Both KIRO radio and KIRO 7 I have heard them stating that these bills are for "enhanced background checks on assault weapons"

Who doesn't like background checks, right?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks to all who attended the hearing. Does anyone know if these bills passed out of committee?

Giving a lot of thought to moving to a free state if these bills pass.

Somewhere that has people who make decisions based on reality instead of half-truths and emotions.

I did e-mail the committee members with the pre-packaged NRA-ILA letter. Might have to do more if this bill actually leaves committee.

Perhaps Ferguson will look to make his political hay on the immigration issue and enter his own gridlock nightmare.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Captain Obvious approves of this message.

BF will accomplish his personal & political goals with this, thanks to Seattle/King Co. & the  flawed initiative process.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks to all who attended the hearing. Does anyone know if these bills passed out of committee?

Giving a lot of thought to moving to a free state if these bills pass.

Somewhere that has people who make decisions based on reality instead of half-truths and emotions.

I did e-mail the committee members with the pre-packaged NRA-ILA letter. Might have to do more if this bill actually leaves committee.

Perhaps Ferguson will look to make his political hay on the immigration issue and enter his own gridlock nightmare.
View Quote

Too early for them to have passed out of committee. This was just the first hearing on them.

You can track the progress of the AWB bill here.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#28]
They can kiss my dick if they think I'm going to comply if this passes
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Absolutely agree. Going to be a feather in his cap when he runs for governor. "I tried to fight for common-sense gun laws!" and it helps set up the initiative process.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#30]
HB1387 is on the schedule for their executive session now, based on the email I just received:

You are subscribed to HB 1387-2017-18 for Washington State Legislature Bills. This information has recently been updated, and is now available.
03 - February 16, 2017 - Scheduled for executive session in the House Committee on Judiciary at 1:00 PM (Subject to change).
View Quote

Next Thursday at 1:00 PM.  This is not a public hearing, but I do believe their executive sessions are open to the public....
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unethical, and bar complaint worthy.  Perhaps the state and federal bar will yank his license.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Absolutely agree. Going to be a feather in his cap when he runs for governor. "I tried to fight for common-sense gun laws!" and it helps set up the initiative process.
View Quote

Yep, I can already see the TV adds... "As AG, Turd Furgeson fought to protect our children from criminals and gun lobbyists..."...as cute children run around a play ground...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top