Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2017 7:55:29 PM EDT
Hello HTF.

I am writing here in hopes of getting a few more opinions and/or solid information. As some of you know, Mossberg has just announced this year of a new model called the 590 Shockwave. It can be seen here. Mossberg Shockwave

My question, after perusing the RCWs, is whether or not WA will allow sales here? I know for a fact that PGO (pistol grip only) 12 gauge shotguns are sold in the state as "Other Firearms"--which is their appropriate category and the same as what the BATFE designates the Shockwave variant.

Anybody have any solid answers? The RCWs that I found and reviewed had definitions of pistols, rifles, and shotguns, but no definition for "Other" firearms.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
These are just considered "Firearms" as they don't fall under any specific classification. IIRC, West Coast built a couple guns like this years ago for a customer. As far as I know and have heard, they are perfectly legal for sale. Just like the Mossberg 500s with the pistol grip.

"(9) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder."
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
What's the minimum barrel length for a shotgun. Would 14" not be considered a SBS?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the response. I was concerned that the 14" barrel might be an issue.

This is the first time I've ever been excited about a Mossberg product that fires shotshells, so I didn't want to get all worked up and save my pennies just to have my dreams dashed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the minimum barrel length for a shotgun. Would 14" not be considered a SBS?
View Quote

If the Shockwave model was considered to be a "Shotgun" then yes that would be an SBS and therefore a no-go in WA.

By Federal definition, the 590 Shockwave and similar models are considered to be "Firearms" and not long guns/shotguns. They leave the factory with no provision for being fired from the shoulder, which is one of the Federal criteria for a "Long Gun"  The Mossberg Just in Case (JIC) is another example. Another example is a stripped AR Lower--it can be turned into a pistol or a rifle. On the Federal 4473 form, it is checked as "Other Firearm" and can be sold to state residents 21+.

My concern would be if the state decides to classify this model as a "Short Barreled Shotgun" or to change their current definitions.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:53:16 AM EDT
[#5]
It's not a shotgun. A shotgun is defined as meant to be fired from the shoulder. No stock (ever) = not a shotgun.

This is the exact same thing as any other pistol grip only shot firing firearm. Over 26 inches so not an AOW, no stock (ever) so not a SBS. 99% of the laws, while arbitrary, aren't very capricious... they are usually black and white with very little gray. Is it A or B? Does it have this or that? There is no, "but what if...?" does it have A or does it have B? The SIG brace and the Shockwave Blade are notable exceptions.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:11:04 AM EDT
[#6]
They're not as much fun as you might think.

Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They're not as much fun as you might think.
View Quote

I've never shot one but the general consensus seems to be that the shockwave birds head style grip is much more comfortable to shoot than a standard pistol grip
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've never shot one but the general consensus seems to be that the shockwave birds head style grip is much more comfortable to shoot than a standard pistol grip
View Quote

The birdshead grip (mines an old as hell original Speedfeed I've had 10+ years, the Shockwave is a modern copy) is considerably better than a standard vertical pistol grip due to the angle of the hand in relation to recoil. The sig brace is better then the birdshead IMO

Mine is considerably more pronounced in the curve than the Shockwave version appears to be. I have the same as this one sold by Havlin sales, presumably an old Mossberg branded Speedfeed
http://www.havlinsales.com/870access.htm

Shockwave's 870 grip

Shockwave's M500 grip
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure a number of curious people can write enough letters to at least get it looked at. 

It's pretty clear,  and it's been laid out in this thread.  If it's not a shotgun it cannot be an sbs.

smfh
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm sure a number of curious people can write enough letters to at least get it looked at. 

It's pretty clear,  and it's been laid out in this thread.  If it's not a shotgun it cannot be an sbs.

smfh
View Quote

Can a brace be legally installed though? It's not a pistol so I don't know what to think? I did order one though, just because I can.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Can a brace be legally installed though? It's not a pistol so I don't know what to think? I did order one though, just because I can.
View Quote

ATF never replied to my letter in 2014 about using a brace on a "firearm", specifically if that would preclude it from being built into an AOW in the future. So I'm going with "it's legal" until they rule otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:40:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ATF never replied to my letter in 2014.......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
ATF never replied to my letter in 2014.......

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Fostech and Black Aces Tactical are making "Other Firearms" with pistol braces.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:22:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Asking if something is legal after its been addressed several places,  is slightly different then asking about potential  changes to the status and legality of a future NFA weapon. They're under no obligation to answer, but I figured I'd ask since I'd never seen it addressed before in relation to 12 ga "firearms" nor were any FFLs offering such a thing at the time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got off the phone with RSR and they told me that Mossberg sent them a memo stating the 590 Shockwave is not to be shipped to WA State. WTF. I will post more info as I get it.

UPDATE: I just spoke with Mossberg and they said WA does not restrict the 590 shockwave. Below is a link to the letter from the AG that Mossberg referred to.

I have no idea who at Mossberg is telling distributors not to ship to WA.

http://www.atg.wa.gov/ago-opinions/whether-certain-weapons-meet-statutory-definition-short-barreled-shotgun
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just got off the phone with RSR and they told me that Mossberg sent them a memo stating the 590 Shockwave is not to be shipped to WA State. WTF. I will post more info as I get it.

UPDATE: I just spoke with Mossberg and they said WA does not restrict the 590 shockwave. Below is a link to the letter from the AG that Mossberg referred to.

http://www.atg.wa.gov/ago-opinions/whether-certain-weapons-meet-statutory-definition-short-barreled-shotgun
View Quote
I can't even find it on RSR's website.  I see it listed on both Lipsey's and Davidsons, both with a disclaimer saying "non-NFA, over 26.5" OAL".
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#17]
RSR Item #: MS50659
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:02:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
RSR Item #: MS50659
View Quote
Weird.  If I'm not logged in, it shows up.  If I log in, I get "page does not exist."

WTF?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I can't even find it on RSR's website.  I see it listed on both Lipsey's and Davidsons, both with a disclaimer saying "non-NFA, over 26.5" OAoL".
View Quote
What kind of retail prices ?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Weird.  If I'm not logged in, it shows up.  If I log in, I get "page does not exist."

WTF?
View Quote
Same here

Davidson's allocated a couple yesterday

They will go up on the wall next to SBR's and suppressors.

Don't know if they will be popular...I think they are unusual. And unusual sells.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I can't even find it on RSR's website.  I see it listed on both Lipsey's and Davidsons, both with a disclaimer saying "non-NFA, over 26.5" OAL".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got an email this morning from RSR. Looks like they changed their decision and will be shipping them to WA dealers again. Still can't find it on their website, probably take a a couple hours to get changed over.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
+87
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#24]
So is thing g2g being loaded in a vehicle? Not finding any clarification in the rcw for non rifles/shotguns
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Firearms are not Pistols. So it is NOT GTG to have one loading inside of a vehicle as far as I know.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Brad's has it listed as $400. Is that a good price?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Brad's has it listed as $400. Is that a good price?
View Quote
My functionally-identical Sirearms version cost me ~$700, so I'd call it good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top