Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2017 1:22:13 AM EDT
I just saw this video on YouTube, and he says with the 8 inch welded extension tube, you don't have to worry about all the SBR laws, and registration.

Not really planning on going that route just because of the whole process. But it would seem to me as soon as you took the suppressor off would be an SBR that wasn't registered?

I don't know, just curious.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:46:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just saw this video on YouTube, and he says with the 8 inch welded extension tube, you don't have to worry about all the SBR laws, and registration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngk7z-sdDM8

Not really planning on going that route just because of the whole process. But it would seem to me as soon as you took the suppressor off would be an SBR that wasn't registered?

View Quote

You can pin and weld an extension or flash hider in a manner that does not allow easy removal to get to the 16" requirement, but I don't believe the BATF is going to say a piece of galvanized pipe on your barrel is going to work.  I have seen them approve 8" in barrels with permanent 8" suppressors, which gives you a total of the required 16" length, just as they put permanent muzzle devices on 14.5" barrels.  That said, it does have to be a permanent attachment.  If it can be taken off with little effort, then it is an SBR.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 4:02:14 AM EDT
[#2]
He is correct, that is legal and not a SBR.  The welded extension tube makes the barrel legally 16".
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#3]
1) afaik the 16"reword by law is barrel length.

2) I did an upper with a real that went out over the can.  looks like ass and functionally shit.  needs a screwdriver to remove.

3)i like my dog too much to taunt the batfags
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks retarded.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#5]
It's no different than this.

http://www.tacticalsol.com/x-ring-series/x-ring-sb-x-barrel
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngk7z-sdDM8

View Quote

Any combination of barrel-plus-PERMANENTLY-attached muzzle device > 16" from end to bolt-face with the bolt closed means 'Not an SBR' (There is also an OAL minimum - but that is much harder to get 'under' when you have a 16" bbl).

Yes, even scrap pipe, or extra washers behind a perm-attached A2 FH... 

Most people do the 'not redneck' thing and just perm-attach a fake-can or long flash-hider, though. 
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 2:22:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, I guess you learn something everyday. Surprises me though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 2:32:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks retarded.
View Quote

Agreed!
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#9]
There was that outfit in Auburn that was doing this a few years ago (DBMG) with their "RBF", or "Really Big Flashhider".  

Picture from Facebook account.

I don't think he is around anymore though, probably because he was about as good at follow-through as AR15Barrels....  
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There was that outfit in Auburn that was doing this a few years ago (DBMG) with their "RBF", or "Really Big Flashhider".  

Picture from Facebook account.
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/221128_114853545264554_6937700_o.jpg?oh=0adb6db68eac76fef97dff9d0a36a34b&oe=58D5FDAA

I don't think he is around anymore though, probably because he was about as good at follow-through as AR15Barrels....  
View Quote

Dennis makes the AR57 still afaik, might be a different location but I havent been to the shop in a few years now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 3:18:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I remember the RBFs, they never really took off like Dennis wanted them to.

In all honesty, if you want to have a short barrel but not have to pay or wait for the stamp, just get a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#12]
What's the benefit?
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What's the benefit?
View Quote

Your 16" barrel doesn't turn into a 24" barrel after you screw the suppressor on
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#14]
wouldn't this essentially be the same idea behind sigs muzzle brake that got dick slapped?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:52:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
wouldn't this essentially be the same idea behind sigs muzzle brake that got dick slapped?
View Quote

No because this isnt a silencer core like the sig and not even an outer sleeve to hold a core like an integral.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:58:41 AM EDT
[#16]
It's no different than a 14.5 with an extended A2X, a 14.7 with a standard A2 flash hider, or a 13.7 with a "flaming pig."
From the NFA handbook.
The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to
the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of
attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver
soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod
into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the
furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and
measured.

Which can be found here, https://www.atf.gov/firearms/national-firearms-act-handbook

Nowhere does it say it has to be pretty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top