Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2016 11:43:49 PM EDT
I saw a question posted to one of the Facebook pages that I follow and I wanted to see what everyone here thinks.  How much ammo should you have?  For me I try to keep 1000 rounds for each weapon for it's intended purpose.  Self defense gun gets 1000 round of self defense ammo.  Competition gun gets 1000 rounds of competition ammo etc.  I do it for each gun and not per caliber.  If I have 5 9mm handguns then I should have 5000 rounds minimum of 9mm.  Only exception is 22LR.  I buy a small brick every time I go to the store and will continue to do so until who knows when.

So what does everyone else have or what would you like to have?

PS do you load your own or buy and where do you get your stuff?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:52:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Boy, this doesn't scream law enforcement collecting intelligence about forum members.

Not at all.....

I keep one 20rd box of .38 spl Gold Dots in my sock drawer. That's it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#2]
OK fair point.  Nope not a cop or other LEO and have never played one on TV.  Actually a firefighter and paramedic.  Just wondering where good deals can be found and how prepared others are working toward.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a credit card?
Is it maxed out on ammo purchases?

Yes.
Pay it off and do it again.

No.
Why the fuck not.

You'll know when you have enough ammo when the plastic starts melting...
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have to ask.....you dont have enough.

Work on a can for everything, and then add more.

By everything I mean a can for defense snd for blasting for each firearm.

If you reload its easy. If you dont, only shoot 1/2 of what you buy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You'll know when you have enough ammo when the plastic starts melting gorilla rack starts sagging snaps...
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:21:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll know when you have enough ammo when the plastic starts melting gorilla rack starts sagging snaps...

Sooooo.....    thinking there's a market here for HEAVY DUTY shelf systems, sized for ammo cans.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:45:51 AM EDT
[#7]
1K per caliber should be your absolute minimum. 1K per gun is a decent standard. One full 50 cal ammocan for each caliber is the fat-girl/moped  level of prep. Keep buying.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:13:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1K per gun is a decent standard.
View Quote

What I'm shooting for. Problem is I keep buying more guns so that goal line keeps getting further and further away. At least I'm down to a handful of calibers.

Sorry about the shitty comment, streetdoc. Paranoia seems to pop up for me around the holidays. 
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I keep a minimum of 1000 rounds of my fav ammo for each fighting caliber I use. Sometimes I go way over that, but that's the min. The chances of anyone surviving dozens and dozens of shootouts in a world without good medical care are minimal anyway... And if you have to bug out on foot at some point, carrying 20k rounds of ammo isn't going to happen. Therefore, when I buy lots of ammo, it's usually more about getting a low price and getting "in" before some kind of stupid ban.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#10]
my rule is ... buy when it's cheap... not during a scare.
With that in mind, my goal is to always have enough for two 3 day weekends of shooting without feeling like I have to buy immediately.
With all that said by current inventory is,
3K+ of 5.56
1k of 300 Blackout
1.5K+ 9mm
who knows how much 22lr

My buddy once went into a local place to buy some ammo I told him about ($0.29/round in bulk for .223) and he decided not to make the trip on the weekend but go during lunch since it was close to work.... then Orlando shooting happened over the weekend.. on Monday  they had zero rounds left, said some company had come in and bought all 26K rounds... so that's our ongoing joke, the goal is 26,000 round :-P
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Jekbrown's logic is the same as mine.  While I hope to survive any gunfights I get into, the odds indicate stockpiling thousands of rounds for every firearm would be unnecessary, and a bit vain for me to think I would be fortunate enough, or skilled enough to survive thousands of rounds worth of gunfights.  Enough for practicing, and some for social work would be my answer.

It may sound odd, but in a teotwawki scenario, I think toilet paper would be the thing to stockpile.  Laugh all you want, but anyone who lives in a house with women knows that after a few days without toilet paper, those women will bust a mans balls until he comes home with some TP.  Far more powerful trading stock than 22 ammo...funny thought isn't it?
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:22:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It may sound odd, but in a teotwawki scenario, I think toilet paper would be the thing to stockpile.  Laugh all you want, but anyone who lives in a house with women knows that after a few days without toilet paper, those women will bust a mans balls until he comes home with some TP.  Far more powerful trading stock than 22 ammo...funny thought isn't it?
View Quote
No.

Total logic fail.

Totally theoretical, but bullets > shit paper.

While you wipe your ass, someone with bullets can blow your brains out.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I totally agree that ammo is necessary.  At some point I think TP will make better trading stock.  Most of us gun guys already have ammo stocked up, and would want to hold onto it, rather than trade if off.  Men are more willing to go without TP and will be very unlikely to trade ammo if ammo availability is decreasing.  

Moss will still grow, ammo won't.  Women in search of the comfort TP can give, can make a man's life fairly unpleasant, hence the value of it as trading stock.  

Ammo is more important to retain, with ammo you can acquire much more of nearly anything unless the other guy has a better defensive tactics.

"You can get lots more with a gun and a smile, than you can with just a smile."  AL Capone.  

Keep the ammo, trade the TP, antibiotics, and other meds you have a surplus of.  Water purification systems/items would be another good trade item.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#14]
TP is great and all, but if it's shtf there's no reason you couldn't use a wash cloth or countless other things to wipe with.

If you want ultimate trade bait, you need something that is cheap now, but would be in demand and hard to make yourself in shtf. Think more along the lines of matches or needles or fish hooks or primers or pharmaceutical products. All easy to make in mass quantities in an industrial society and a bitch to make in any number in shtf.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#15]
All good points..  That is why I mentioned meds, and that moss will still grow (a cheap alternative to TP).  Of course if I were trying to sell or trade something, I sure wouldn't tell someone who didn't know that moss works, and with all our rain. There is a nearly inexhaustible supply.

Fish hooks, and fishing line is a good idea...not having the patience for fishing, I wouldn't have a clue what is great, and what sucks.   When I did an emergency kit, I included hooks and line among many other things, but u till now I had not wondered if fishing line rots over time.  Does some monofilament line deteriorate over time, or does it have a very long shelf life?
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I like my ammo fresh.  ;)  

To me components are far more valuable then loaded ammo.      

I always keep just under the legal state codes and NFPA guidelines so I am not in violation.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 3:14:23 AM EDT
[#17]
If not exposed to uv or something like that, I would think that modern fishing line would last a long time on the shelf, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I like my ammo fresh.  ;)  

To me components are far more valuable then loaded ammo.      

I always keep just under the legal state codes and NFPA guidelines so I am not in violation.  
View Quote

Code? I don't need no stinking code. WTF is this code you speak of? I only ask cause I want to know how hard to laugh about how much I'm breaking it. Or cry cause I am not.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Code? I don't need no stinking code. WTF is this code you speak of? I only ask cause I want to know how hard to laugh about how much I'm breaking it. Or cry cause I am not.
View Quote

You missed my sarcasm meter being pegged.      

That being said the information is out there somewhere and yes it is laughable.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You missed my sarcasm meter being pegged.      

That being said the information is out there somewhere and yes it is laughable.  
View Quote

Ok, ok, I'll have the kids stand down from manning the crew served's out in the yard. Thanks for mentioning it so quickly, it would have been a long day and they have presents to play with.

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Why would I store it when I can shoot it?! 
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#22]
...all depends on if you plan to get into a firefight and how long you want to last...
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What I'm shooting for. Problem is I keep buying more guns so that goal line keeps getting further and further away. At least I'm down to a handful of calibers.

Sorry about the shitty comment, streetdoc. Paranoia seems to pop up for me around the holidays. 
View Quote

no worries at all.  I re-read the post and completely understand.

you can put your tin foil hat back on now
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

RCW 70.74.340
- Small arms smokeless propellant intended for personal use in quantities not to exceed twenty-five pounds may be stored without restriction in residences; quantities over twenty-five pounds but not to exceed fifty pounds shall be stored in a strong box or cabinet constructed with three-fourths inch plywood (minimum), or equivalent, on all sides, top, and bottom.
-Black powder as used in muzzle loading firearms may be transported in a private vehicle or stored without restriction in private residences in quantities not to exceed five pounds
-Quantities in excess of one hundred fifty pounds of smokeless propellant or twenty-five pounds of black powder as used in muzzle loading firearms shall be stored in magazines constructed as specified in the rules and regulations for construction of magazines, and located in compliance with this chapter.

RCW 70.74.350
-Quantities not to exceed ten thousand small arms ammunition primers may be stored in a residence.

there you go. laugh or cry as hard as needed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Go to a garage sale, buy a cabinet you can lock, bolt it to the slab of your garden shed, and store anything you want that goes beyond the numbers listed above. Win. "in" is the key.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
...all depends on if you plan to get into a firefight and how long you want to last...
View Quote

If you plan to get in a firefight, your problem solving skills are something you might want to work on.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you plan to get in a firefight, your problem solving skills are something you might want to work on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was being sarcastic sir......

Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:48:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
RCW 70.74.350
-Quantities not to exceed ten thousand small arms ammunition primers may be stored in a residence.

View Quote

Ha. That's not very much at all. WTF
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 2:06:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
RCW 70.74.350

....it says "residence"..... I'll have to look up that RCW to see what it defines as a residence.....  Having a "storage unit" off site, if one wants to risk that....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top