Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2016 3:26:51 PM EDT
Edit: Thanks for the replies. OK how about Bellevue and the surrounding cities? I did a google search and there is a company there called The Spa Doctor, there was some humor to me when I searched it. They mainly operate in the Bellevue area. I was thinking, with my when I move, 18 years experience with pools, I might apply for a job with them. Bremerton is also on the radar with the Navy Yard there.

Like the title says. My sister is hoping to relocate to the Tacoma area around the first of the year. I'm thinking of heading up that way roughly 18 months later. I've been looking at Google Earth and I like a semi rural environment. Also lake Tapps looks like a good place to go Trout fishing. What's the news of the area?
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Been living here for 40 years.    It has changed A LOT.    It is hardly rural anywhere in the I5 corridor anywhere and especially in the Tacoma Puyallup area.      

It takes me a half an hour to get anywhere around here local from up on the "hill"    

My work commute is only 34ish miles and it averages an HOUR AND A HALF!    and that's carpooling or riding my motorcycle.  

I don't have many good things to say anymore so I may not be your best referral.    

Hell, if anything we may consider doing the opposite in the next few years and heading to Texas or AZ.    

Also this goes for anywhere in Western Washington.   You have to like or tolerate constant gray skies and gloomy days.  From Oct to May the ground is almost always wet even if not raining.    

If none of that turns you off then you will like it here.    Oh and you will be surrounded by liberals.  

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Anything in western Pierce County is going to be fairly suburban and traffic can be a bitch...
The farther east you go, the more rural, but the harder it is to get "to and from" work, etc...
There are plenty of lakes, etc... for fishing withing driving distances, etc...  
That said, the Puyallup area is nice.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The best gun show in the state happens there once a month.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 12:30:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I live in puyallup. I like it, it's a world of difference compared to tacoma where I lived for 22 years. There is no ghetto here, the rougher areas would be considered white trash. When you do see someone walking around with the pants below their ass, they are usually from out of town. Good school district if you have kids, one down side is they didn't project the housing boom so there are lots of portables at the schools. My son's elem.. school has 12 currently. Traffic on the main drag sucks ass, but if you know the side roads it's much easier. There is a chic fil a being built!!!! Houses in the older part of gem heights are nice, we'll built and usually have bigger yards.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 3:53:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anything in western Pierce County is going to be fairly suburban and traffic can be a bitch...

The farther east you go, the more rural, but the harder it is to get "to and from" work, etc...

There are plenty of lakes, etc... for fishing withing driving distances, etc...  

That said, the Puyallup area is nice.
View Quote

Traffic in the Puyallup area can be fucking nuts. Brain dead retards, family trucksters, and everybody thinking they're the only ones driving. 176th and Meridian is as far north on Meridian that I will go. Even if I'm coming from areas like Seattle, I'll avoid Meridian to shoot down Canyon (which is also not that great) and then Mountain Hwy.

Puyallup being nice? I guess if you're into the epitome of suburban life. Definitely not my bag.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I passed on a VERY good deal on a house near the Paul Bunyan shooting range because I didn't want to spend the rest of my life, time and spare cash in traffic. Having said that, there are different 'addresses' in Puyallup other than the South Hill area that are more centrally located between major highways that would be a good investment and a good place to live. I live on North Hill. Depends on where you work.

Unfortunately, the local idiots just passed another ballot measure and my property taxes and car tabs will increase again. I don't have a large income and the property taxes on my humble home are already $2400/year. That's just chump money for some, but not for me. I don't even take vacations.... end of rant...

Link Posted: 11/25/2016 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I like it here, but we have a bit of land so we don't have neighbors climbing all of us. Traffic can be a bit much, I think it bothered me more when we first moved here from Tacoma, but I'll take that traffic over that ghetto wonderland any day. Schools have good ratings and for the most part it doesn't seem sketchy like Tacoma/Lakewood (I'm sure we have our areas, most places do). Oh and we're getting hate chicken soon, so there's that
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies, keep them coming. I spent 4 winters in Germany and a year on the Oregon coast. I really like overcast and rainy weather. Traffic isn't that much of a bother, especially with what we have going on here now. They are adding frontage roads and a connector to the Border Highway/Loop 375, so we have had screwed up traffic for about a year now and it will continue for at least one more.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Oh and we're getting hate chicken soon, so there's that
View Quote

In the worst place possible, traffic wise. Unless hate chicken is paying to have the intersection redone, that location will be an absolute nightmare. It's in such an awkward location. Forget getting in there if you're heading northbound on Meridian. Turn left and then what? Flip a bitch further up? I predict numerous accidents by impatient people wanting their nuggets and waffle fries.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#10]
The best way to fix Mershitian is to put a Jersey barrier down the whole damn thing and force people to go around the block or drive out of the parking lot to a light.  JMO.  Oh and then make it 7 lanes wide.  ;)

Then If I were president for a day I would double the length of green light in the north south direction during peak times especially at 176th.  If that backs up the cross streets a bit during peak times then so be it.

Then again, I can still remember when that stupid road was just a two lane highway and the South Hill Mall was a small mountain.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I would pass... maybe the better question is where you will be working and them ask the question of where to live.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Then If I were president for a day I would double the length of green light in the north south direction during peak times especially at 176th.  If that backs up the cross streets a bit during peak times then so be it.

View Quote

That's an idea I could back.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In the worst place possible, traffic wise. Unless hate chicken is paying to have the intersection redone, that location will be an absolute nightmare. It's in such an awkward location. Forget getting in there if you're heading northbound on Meridian. Turn left and then what? Flip a bitch further up? I predict numerous accidents by impatient people wanting their nuggets and waffle fries.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did the same thing in Tacoma. Strategy is park in the Best Buy/Ross parking lot and walk in, then you have a light on Meridian to get out either way north or south bound
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies, keep them coming. I spent 4 winters in Germany and a year on the Oregon coast. I really like overcast and rainy weather. Traffic isn't that much of a bother, especially with what we have going on here now. They are adding frontage roads and a connector to the Border Highway/Loop 375, so we have had screwed up traffic for about a year now and it will continue for at least one more.
View Quote

New branfels?
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

They did the same thing in Tacoma. Strategy is park in the Best Buy/Ross parking lot and walk in, then you have a light on Meridian to get out either way north or south bound
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smart. I'll tuck that into my pocket for later.

Didn't even think about that but that'll absolutely work since that whole area is connected by that private road that runs past US Bank and up the hill towards Best Buy.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in Graham; the next town south of South-Hill Puyallup. About 4 miles south. Graham is more rural feeling than Puyallup. More larger land plots. Cheaper land. Horse ranches. More conservative. Slower living style. We still have to put up with the traffic to get to anywhere north, but we don't have to go north that often.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

New branfels?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New branfels?

El Paso
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:50:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I've lived here since 84 it's changed a lot I currently live in lake tapps it's a very nice area and great schools (Deringer district) if your sister has kids. Commute isn't great but I have had worse. Bonney lake, Sumner and Auburn are fairly close for shopping. Puyallup is also a really good place to live I lived there for about ten years. I would advise against Tacoma.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:03:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I had to work South Hill/Puyallup/ Graham/ Yelm last month.

WTF happened down there? Traffic is much much much heavier than I remember it ever being. I had an out of town coworker with me, from LA, he was surprised how bad it was for so far out of the city.

Like the guy above said, where will you be working, let us help you pick a better place to move. You can drive to Sister on weekends without sitting in traffic everyday.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
maybe the better question is where you will be working and them ask the question of where to live.
View Quote

^ That

Your options on where to live are going to be limited by where you work.   You have to understand that there is basically no road planning in any sense of the word, for political reasons.

Take a road in TX that would be 3 lanes each direction plus turn lanes; in WA, you'll get one lane each way and that's it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Well as far as employment. I own a small pool service business. I am getting tired of cleaning pools, repairs aren't bad, just not too frequent. I really want to do something else.

Plan A: I have this,

and would like to put it to work. I do have a few other machines too. Maybe work in a welding shop, construction, shipping, etc. or just be an independent contractor.

Plan B: Get a job as a pool/spa/hot tub repairman or start a repair business.

Plan C: ???? Profit

Plan D: Buy a dual-sport bike, lane split my way into the city(Seattle) with my dog and be a pan handler. Who could ignore this guy.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Plan D: Buy a dual-sport bike, lane split my way into the city with my dog and be a pan handler. Who could ignore this guy.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=90876
View Quote

Plan D with a suggestion: Ride your bike to the Sounder station (Our ridiculous commuter rail) in Puyallup, take the train up to Seattle, pan handle up there and come back in the afternoon.

Seattle is a ripe paradise for the pan handler with a story or an animal. At least half of petty bullshit up there would disappear if people stopped feeding the "wild animals".

Not too many pools up here.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:25:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The best gun show in the state happens there once a month.
View Quote

Wtf?? Where?!
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:43:40 AM EDT
[#24]
The Washington Arms Collectors' Show. Big gun show. Next show is mid-December. Puyallup fairgrounds. AKA Washington State fairgrounds. Shows do happen almost every month. Sometimes two months. To buy a firearm, you must be WAC member. You can sign up at the show. Some stuff you can buy without being member. Info at  washingtonarmscollectors.org
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I live in puyallup. I like it, it's a world of difference compared to tacoma where I lived for 22 years. There is no ghetto here, the rougher areas would be considered white trash. When you do see someone walking around with the pants below their ass, they are usually from out of town. Good school district if you have kids, one down side is they didn't project the housing boom so there are lots of portables at the schools. My son's elem.. school has 12 currently. Traffic on the main drag sucks ass, but if you know the side roads it's much easier. There is a chic fil a being built!!!! Houses in the older part of gem heights are nice, we'll built and usually have bigger yards.
View Quote

Those people with their pants hanging off their ass are no longer from out of town. They've moved here from out of town and living in Section 8 housing or squatting in foreclosed homes. Cops moved in on one a couple months ago out near Lipoma Firs golf course. Arrested 13 people living there. Whole backyard was full of trash they'd stolen from around the area.
South Hill has changed a lot in the last 10 years. Go drive through all the grocery store parking lots early in the morning and look around. There's homeless people living in their cars in every single one of them. Safeway near me has drug deals going on nightly in the parking lot. Not to mention the homeless people living in the bushes behind the store.
Last school year there was a big stink on the local Facebook group about people buying Adderal and Ritalin from the Jr High kids in the Ballou Jr High School parking lot before school.

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just remove 90% of the traffic lights... Same for Pac Ave/7.

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I moved to Bonney Lake, just outside Puyallup, from Miami almost 1.5 years ago.  I will say this, I like Bonney Lake/Lake Tapps area.  It still feels somewhat rural but I can still head into Seattle in about an hour during off peak traffic hours.  During traffic, fucking forget it.  I also have plenty of places to shoot and it's somewhat conservative.  It also has easy access to the 410 to take me out into Rainier Natl forest and skiing/snowboarding at Crystal.  

The one thing my wife and I find to be a pain is trying to find a decent selection of restaurants when we want to go out.  It may seem pity but it's one thing we noticed.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 3:41:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Those people with their pants hanging off their ass are no longer from out of town. They've moved here from out of town and living in Section 8 housing or squatting in foreclosed homes. Cops moved in on one a couple months ago out near Lipoma Firs golf course. Arrested 13 people living there. Whole backyard was full of trash they'd stolen from around the area.

South Hill has changed a lot in the last 10 years. Go drive through all the grocery store parking lots early in the morning and look around. There's homeless people living in their cars in every single one of them. Safeway near me has drug deals going on nightly in the parking lot. Not to mention the homeless people living in the bushes behind the store.

Last school year there was a big stink on the local Facebook group about people buying Adderal and Ritalin from the Jr High kids in the Ballou Jr High School parking lot before school.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just listen to the Sheriff's Department or Puyallup PD on your choice of scanner apps or steaming link. It's a shit show. Best way to find out what's really going on.

You're on the money, Gizmojo. Beats me how you'd clean things up since hickory shampoos fell out of favor for soup kitchens, liberal judges, and ignorant city governments. When you feed the wild animals, don't be surprised when they keep showing up and eventually bite you.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:06:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just listen to the Sheriff's Department or Puyallup PD on your choice of scanner apps or steaming link. It's a shit show. Best way to find out what's really going on.

You're on the money, Gizmojo. Beats me how you'd clean things up since hickory shampoos fell out of favor for soup kitchens, liberal judges, and ignorant city governments. When you feed the wild animals, don't be surprised when they keep showing up and eventually bite you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a friend that works for PCSD in corrections. Really super laid back guy, asked him how often things get physical in his job. He said in booking it's about 40% of the time things get physical in booking. People around here are more violent than people realize and they think it's their last chance to put up a fight and not go to jail.
Things appear to be really nice on South Hill, and the valley for that matter if you don't pay much attention but if you drive around and closely look for the low lifes their everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#30]
New questions in opening post.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Unless you own a pool company,  i doubt you are living in Bellvue.

Bremerton is a small town. Id assume they have some of the problems Navy base towns have,  idk
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Bellevue is beyond expensive. Sister in law just bought a house up there that would have been about 250 k in Pierce County, she paid just north of 500k. For this she got a 2000 sq ft house that is 50 years old.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I think you just jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#34]
OK, looking at Google Earth, Preston is 16 miles from Bellevue and Tacoma is 36. What is a good place, within, say 30 miles or so of Bellevue? Nothing is set in stone, have about 2 years before I will be able to move. No telling where my sister will end up. Just trying to get a feel for what is a reasonable, semi-rural, low druggie/gang banger area. I was also thinking, with The Spa Doctor servicing a more affluent clientele, pay might be a little better and a reasonable commute would be worth it. As previously posted welding is also on the table. Plenty of options and places to explore.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Preston is a little better, especially for getting to the eastside in the morning. You're right at the foothills of the mountain and on 90. Issaquah is growing like mad right now so most of the major shops will be close. Also there is traffic on 90, but at least 90 is a nice wide highway that stays maintained. Being so close to the mountain, you may get some more mountain weather in the winter. Issaquah gun range is decent and close, or else you're not that far from going over the pass, there are quite a few public land shooting spots around Easton.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Plan D: Buy a dual-sport bike, lane split my way into the city(Seattle) with my dog and be a pan handler.
View Quote

Lane splitting is illegal and if done you'll have all sorts of SJW's (D) who will try to kill you and the popo has no humor when dealing with lane splitters.
If you're going to do it make sure you have a California plate on the bike.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Things appear to be really nice on South Hill, and the valley for that matter if you don't pay much attention but if you drive around and closely look for the low lifes their everywhere.
View Quote

Most larger cities have a criminal day shift and a night shift and sometimes even a swing shift.
Most peope don't see it because they are law abiding citizens who are sleeping or working when the night walkers come out.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I live in Bremerton house prices are reasonable and the peninsula is great for outdoor activities, fishing, kayaking,hiking,mountain biking,running. minimal crime,traffic isn't bad, I gladly call it home the cons are there is zero chicks here, bremelows were coined for a reason. I take a ferry to seattle a few times a month and go bar hopping or shows with friends, Bellevue is ok but the people remind me of Scottsdale (just a lot of 30k dollar a year millionaire credit card racers) there's money there around Kirkland/Issaquah/Bellevue but mostly just too bro and fake for me imho.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#39]
contact MountedMedic, or PM me for his contact info. he's an ARFCOM member, a local real estate agent with very high ratings and a friend.
he's helped a few of us ARFCOM guys buy/rent houses around the area, myself included.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
contact MountedMedic, or PM me for his contact info. he's an ARFCOM member, a local real estate agent with very high ratings and a friend.
he's helped a few of us ARFCOM guys buy/rent houses around the area, myself included.
View Quote

Thanks, have plenty of time, will save this thread to say OneNote before it archives for the info.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Bellevue is isolated from the rest of the state by abjectly AWFUL traffic on I-405.

'30 minutes to go 10 miles' awful. 
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:00:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Bellevue is isolated from the rest of the state by abjectly AWFUL traffic on I-405.

'30 minutes to go 10 miles' awful. 
View Quote
Yup.
30 minutes to go from NE 8th to the Sunset Blvd exit is my experience. Shit sucks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 1:18:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seconded. Great realtor and great guy
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Preston/Fall City is an awesome area to live.  We moved here from the shitbox known as Bellevue 4 years ago and never looked back.  We have property, horses, guns and can shoot firearms and fireworks on our land because we are in an unincorporated area.  Love it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!  OP I'll PM you my info if can help in any way.

I love our area!  As others have said, traffic can be bad so living close to work or having a carpool solution is important.  Personally I'd rather live closer to work so I didn't spend time away from family.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top