Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2016 9:39:25 PM EDT
Does the silly use tax or sales tax get applied to suppressors transferred in state from an out of state dealer?
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  Was surprised when I went to pick a few and got hit with another bill.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, except if you already paid sales tax in another state. Then the amount of sales tax collected in WA would just be the difference of tax rates between the two states.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes.  Was surprised when I went to pick a few and got hit with another bill.
View Quote

Why would you be surprised?  Use Tax has been collected for almost 7 years now on firearms transfers.....
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Any reputable dealers in Portland who can do a transfer from out of state on a regular rifle?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:52:43 AM EDT
[#5]
F1 can with parts from out of state. Tell the gov to suck it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#6]
AAFES PX needs to start selling Suppressors...
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#7]
So what does this use tax apply to? I've done my transfers on post through the nw adventure center that they have. Going to be meeting someone for a ftf at their ffl. Should I expect some charge on top of the transfer fee?
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:55:47 AM EDT
[#8]
yes, it's called something else, but it's nothing more than a sales tax. Same rate, it just applies in "extra" circumstances. What I think is a load of dog shit is that they nickle and dime you by even taxing the shipping cost. That's just F'ing lame. Whoever came up with that stupid idea should be spit roasted by Satan and Saddam. A Right that is taxed is a Right denied.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Awesome. I'll be sure to keep all future transfers on post and not support such a ridiculous fee.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 4:08:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Anything you use in WA requires you to pay a use tax. For firearms and cars the dealer or registration office collects it. For everything else you are supposed to report yourself and pay it. So go to Oregon to buy a rifle and you're supposed to report that purchase and pay the use tax. Or you'd be in violation of RCW 82.12.020.
As to purchases or transfers done on post...
Thank you for your inquiry.

Purchases made at a military base that are normally subject to retail sales tax (such as a t.v.) for use off base, are subject to use tax.

Thank you, again.
View Quote

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=82.12

That's the law, what you do with it is up to you and your conscience.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:42:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anything you use in WA requires you to pay a use tax. For firearms and cars the dealer or registration office collects it. For everything else you are supposed to report yourself and pay it. So go to Oregon to buy a rifle and you're supposed to report that purchase and pay the use tax. Or you'd be in violation of RCW 82.12.020.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thank you for your inquiry.

Purchases made at a military base that are normally subject to retail sales tax (such as a t.v.) for use off base, are subject to use tax.

Thank you, again.

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, there's a reason why there are a ton of big stores located just across the river in Oregon. I'm guessing not even 1 in 100,000 purchases made there by Washingtonians results in any use tax being paid...
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:12:20 AM EDT
[#13]
There's a use tax on firearms? what the hell is this crap?
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There's a use tax on firearms? what the hell is this crap?
View Quote

Everything in the state of WA has a use tax.  Except for some food and medications.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I got hit for tax after a dealer pulled a value from a blue book for a gift sent to me.  Now I make sure there is a sales receipt showing sale price....even if it was only $12.63 for a new in box Colt stainless commander.   I told the shop doing the transfer to not hold it against me just because I can find great deals, and to feel free to copy the receipt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top