Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2016 2:08:51 AM EDT
The church that I attend decided to put on a "things we don't talk about in church" series starting Sunday the 13th.  The first topic of discussion is "gun control".

I will be attending and be a vocal supporter of liberty.  The discussion group will probably be full of left wingers due to the location being in Bothell (King County) and all 3 preachers are left leaning.  I am most likely going to be vastly outnumbered, however I will put up a good "fight" nonetheless.  If anyone in the area wishes to join me, please come at noon to Bothell United Methodist (next to Bothell High School) on the 13th and 7PM on the 14th.  I plan to be in the Sunday discussion, but will also try to be on the Monday discussion as well.  Specific location in the church can be found at http://www.bothellumc.org/index.php/getinvolved/calendar (link left cold deliberately).

Please dress appropriately and keep the conversations on topic and polite.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#1]
The churches are finding great opportunities in 'community activism'.  This might be a good time to lift their tax exemptiions.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 6:07:45 AM EDT
[#2]
What's so hard about gun control? You either hit your target or you don't. If you don't, you need more control of your gun.

Anyway I'm local, but I don't think I'd be good for that setting, but I wish you luck in my community.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Just because they put on a talk about "things we do not want you to talk about" does not sound like any rule...more of a suggestion...what would be the penalty for violating this rule?

Suggest they add topics such as freedom of speech, religious freedom, right to peaceably assemble, and similar total arias topics to the list.  other interesting topics would be totalitarianism in the church, and how churches attempt to control their members speech.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Curious how this turned out. I was trying to find a specific book you would be interested in. It's oriented toward Christians and firearm ownership, but I am still looking for it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Curious how this turned out. I was trying to find a specific book you would be interested in. It's oriented toward Christians and firearm ownership, but I am still looking for it.
View Quote

Haven't read it myself, but might it be "Time to Kill"?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/11/dean-weingarten/book-review-time-kill-myth-christian-pacifism/
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 5:10:53 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a fundamental difference between live by the sword, die by the sword and prepared to defend. The difference is a huge. The differnces should never be confused.

They try to give you the old song and dance about guns aren't christian or turn the other cheek ask them then why did Jesus tell his apostles to arm themselves ?    

Found this on the web.  Parallel Verses Luke 22:36

New International Version
He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

New Living Translation
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!

English Standard Version
He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

Berean Study Bible
"Now, however," He told them, "the one with a purse should take it, and likewise a bag; and the one without a sword should sell his cloak and buy one.

Berean Literal Bible
And He said to them, "But now, the one having a purse, let him take it, and likewise a bag; and the one having no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one.

New American Standard Bible
And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.

King James Bible
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Then He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money-bag should take it, and also a traveling bag. And whoever doesn't have a sword should sell his robe and buy one.

International Standard Version
Then he told them, "But now whoever has a wallet must take it along, and his traveling bag, too. And the one who has no sword must sell his coat and buy one.

NET Bible
He said to them, "But now, the one who has a money bag must take it, and likewise a traveler's bag too. And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one.

New Heart English Bible
Then he said to them, "But now, whoever has a money bag must take it, and likewise a pack. Whoever has none, must sell his cloak, and buy a sword.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
He said to them, “From this hour, whoever has a money bag should take it and thus also a wallet, and whoever lacks a sword, let him sell his tunic and buy a sword for himself.

GOD'S WORD Translation
Then he said to them, "But now, the person who has a wallet and a traveling bag should take them along. The person who doesn't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one.

New American Standard 1977
And He said to them, “But now, let him who has a purse take it along, likewise also a bag, and let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one.

Jubilee Bible 2000
Then he said unto them, But now, he that has a purse, let him take it and likewise his provision bag; and he that has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

King James 2000 Bible
Then said he unto them, But now, he that has a purse, let him take it, and likewise his bag: and he that has no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

American King James Version
Then said he to them, But now, he that has a purse, let him take it, and likewise his money: and he that has no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

American Standard Version
And he said unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise a wallet; and he that hath none, let him sell his cloak, and buy a sword.

Douay-Rheims Bible
But they said: Nothing. Then said he unto them: But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise a scrip; and he that hath not, let him sell his coat, and buy a sword.

Darby Bible Translation
He said therefore to them, But now he that has a purse let him take [it], in like manner also a scrip, and he that has none let him sell his garment and buy a sword;

English Revised Version
And he said unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise a wallet: and he that hath none, let him sell his cloke, and buy a sword.

Webster's Bible Translation
Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Weymouth New Testament
"But now," said He, "let the one who has a purse take it, and he who has a bag must do the same. And let him who has no sword sell his outer garment and buy one.

World English Bible
Then he said to them, "But now, whoever has a purse, let him take it, and likewise a wallet. Whoever has none, let him sell his cloak, and buy a sword.

Young's Literal Translation
Then said he to them, 'But, now, he who is having a bag, let him take it up, and in like manner also a scrip; and he who is not having, let him sell his garment, and buy a sword,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top