Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/7/2016 2:07:03 PM EDT
http://www.atg.wa.gov/news/news-releases/ag-ferguson-proposes-ban-assault-weapons-high-capacity-magazines
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Can the ag introduce bills?
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I think he's proposing and two dems are introducing. I just heard it and saw the linked page so far.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#4]
All the reason to make sure and vote this coming election. Also when this bill is going through committee we need to make sure people are in attendance to testify and make our voice heard.

CJG
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Let me be the first to say FBF!

I thought the ag was supposed to be a lawyer for the state? Perhaps he should stfu and do his fucking job.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, we need to stay on top of this one.  Enough is never enough.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a load of crap, that's how California started, Rights taken inch by inch, not all at once.

I've seen a lot of pro gun advertisements and bumper stickers in Seattle, Tacoma, and Bellingham, just need those people to get out there and vote.

I've talked to a number of pro gun people in their late 20s and early 30s that aren't registered to vote, that's part of the problem, voting for president may be a setup, but the state level stuff we still have influence.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#8]
He won by 53% last time. We only need 4% to fire this activist ag embarrassment.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Standing next to Ferguson at the podium was none other than Al Sharpton

Another King County dweeb fucking with the rest of the state.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can the ag introduce bills?
View Quote

No. He states he's cheer leading (my term) for a "group" of civil leaders and LE who support a ban.

I sent him a short but sweet message.

http://www.atg.wa.gov/assault-weapons-proposal

Dear Attorney General Bob Ferguson,
I can appreciate your desire to assist in spearheading new legislation regarding an assault weapon ban.

I would remind you that the duties of the office of Attorney General as outlined in the Washington State Constitution, ARTICLE III THE EXECUTIVE, do not authorize such effort and expense.

As a life long Washington State resident and taxpayer, I respectfully ask that you cease such efforts.

Sincerely,
Powderfinger

I sent the Govenor the following.

Dear Govenor Jay Inslee,

Today I sent Attorney General Bob Ferguson the message that follows:

"Dear Attorney General Bob Ferguson,
I can appreciate your desire to assist in spearheading new legislation regarding an assault weapon ban.

I would remind you that the duties of the office of Attorney General as outlined in the Washington State Constitution, ARTICLE III THE EXECUTIVE, do not authorize such effort and expense.

As a life long Washington State resident and taxpayer, I respectfully ask that you cease such efforts.

Sincerely,
Powderfinger"

Govenor Inslee, I respectfully request that you, as the Chief Executive of our state, communicate to Attorney General Bob Ferguson a reminder of the parameters of his official duties.
Political efforts supporting the legislative desires of community leaders and law enforcement groups is not one of those duties.

Thank you.

Respectfully,
Powderfinger
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#12]
http://atg.wa.gov/news/news-releases/ag-ferguson-proposes-ban-assault-weapons-high-capacity-magazines

Ferguson’s proposed legislation has two key elements:
•A ban on semiautomatic weapons with military-style features that render them more easily concealable or more deadly; and  limit on magazine capacity — currently unlimited under Washington law — to a maximum of 10 rounds of ammunition.
View Quote

I wonder what these will be?  The deadly pistol grip?  The immoral bayonet lug?  The threaded muzzle used by assassins to attach silencers?

This will lead to a run on mags.  How will they know which ones are pre-ban unless they ban them all?

“The recent tragedy in Mukilteo drives home the need to act with urgency to end the availability of weapons designed with only one purpose — to kill people,”
View Quote

This old stupid trope.  I guess the other 99.9% of us are using them for the wrong purposes?

My proposal will ban some of the deadliest weapons, while respecting the Second Amendment right to bear arms.”
View Quote

I doubt it as assault weapons as usually defined are rarely associated with crime in WA.

Sen. David Frockt (D-46) and Sen. Kevin Ranker (D-40) are working with Ferguson to craft the legislation. The proposal will be modeled after successful assault weapon laws in other states, such as New York and Connecticut. The courts have determined these states’ bans to be constitutional.
View Quote

Successful because it was "not struck down by the courts" or because of lives saved?  I'm not aware that it saves lives at all.  

I wonder if mags will be grandfathered also.  Senator Kline and two others tried for eight years to gut the fourth amendment rights of gun owners in WA; even the Seattle Times thought it was a bad idea.

A recent poll presented by Washington Ceasefire and Ceasefire Oregon showed that 65 percent of adults in the two states — including a great many gun owners — favor an assault weapons ban and want lawmakers to act.
View Quote

311 people in WA and OR are not representative of WA residents in my opinion.

Randy
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#13]
And so it begins...
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I have no doubt this will pass...
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

What makes you say that? What are the chances of
This actually passing ?
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Should we remind Inslee that last time he threw his weight in for an AWB he got fired and had to move to a new district to find employment?
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

He won by 53% last time. We only need 4% to fire this activist ag embarrassment.
View Quote
Considering his opponent is a Libertarian with no political experience, Ferguson likely figures he's a shoe-in.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Hit the KOMO poll before it disappears, because the idea of an AWB is solidly losing and commenters are shitting all over it.

https://www.facebook.com/KOMONews/posts/1160703077331356
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I can only find one picture of the grandstand event....

The Negro in the picture from apd Twitter is not al Sharpton.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

You may be right though the guy looks like a Sharpton doppelganger for sure.

(image was too large for embed)
http://static.seattletimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/4f51768a-7524-11e6-810d-ac11f84a12e6-1560x1040.jpg
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
And so it begins...
View Quote

Yep, again, these fuckers will never quit.  If it fails, like a bad rash they just keep coming back.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like he will likely be re-elected since he is essentially running unopposed.

https://ballotpedia.org/Washington_Attorney_General_election,_2016

Talk about an ill informed ass hat with an agenda.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Disconcerting.

Thanks for sharing the FB page.

Write feedback to your local and state sponsors in addition to the AG.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Should we remind Inslee that last time he threw his weight in for an AWB he got fired and had to move to a new district to find employment?
View Quote

You know he's the governor right? I think that's called a promotion.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This actually passing ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This actually passing ?

If it goes to a popular vote I believe it will pass for the same reason that I-594 passed:

1) To the lay person it sounds completely reasonable and makes no mention of confiscations, lack of transfer of grandfathered weapons/magazines, or registries aka government intrusions on privacy
2) I-594 passed in no small part because of the above, it sounded reasonable to the layperson
3) The NRA doesn't seem to give much of a shit what happens in this state, they certainly didn't for I-594.
4) Virtually 90% of the people moving into this state are coming for tech jobs and originating in other liberal strongholds. My new neighbors in the last year are from DC, Virginia, California and NY. Places with stricter gun laws already in place, I fully expect them to export their shitty politics until proven otherwise.

The law also has no teeth, the firearms being banned are rifles and thus purchasable in other states. Whether they choose to refuse to sell to you based on your WA driver's license is a whole other matter. Same goes for magazines. No registry = no enforcement and thus why it's likely to pass.

Encroaching enough to get "something" done, but not enough to rustle everyone's jimmies to oppose it.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He lost his 4th district seat in 1994 for supporting an AWB.

Note the timing btw. Dems trotted this out for the election not for a vote. They are trying to get turnout not defectors.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Note the timing btw. Dems trotted this out for the election not for a vote. They are trying to get turnout not defectors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HE chalks up his loss to supporting an AWB in '94 which ironically is when the Federal ban was enacted. I think it's posturing for his loss on his part and doubt it had to do with his position on the issue.

Besides, would you argue the state is MORE or LESS liberal now than it was in '94?
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If it goes to a popular vote I believe it will pass for the same reason that I-594 passed:

1) To the lay person it sounds completely reasonable and makes no mention of confiscations, lack of transfer of grandfathered weapons/magazines, or registries aka government intrusions on privacy
2) I-594 passed in no small part because of the above, it sounded reasonable to the layperson
3) The NRA doesn't seem to give much of a shit what happens in this state, they certainly didn't for I-594.
4) Virtually 90% of the people moving into this state are coming for tech jobs and originating in other liberal strongholds. My new neighbors in the last year are from DC, Virginia, California and NY. Places with stricter gun laws already in place, I fully expect them to export their shitty politics until proven otherwise.

The law also has no teeth, the firearms being banned are rifles and thus purchasable in other states. Whether they choose to refuse to sell to you based on your WA driver's license is a whole other matter. Same goes for magazines. No registry = no enforcement and thus why it's likely to pass.

Encroaching enough to get "something" done, but not enough to rustle everyone's jimmies to oppose it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This actually passing ?

Sadly, I agree with you.  594 was a terrible loss for gun rights.  The average layperson did not think twice about it.  Seemed 'reasonable' based on media hype related to 'gun violance'.  The won't see the problem till it is far too late.

We have a slight advantage based on advance knowledge of the planned 2017 proposal.  Lets all get in from of it and try to hold back the attack.  Rest assured, the attacks will continue to come, but we have to keep pushing back or no one else will.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sadly, I agree with you.  594 was a terrible loss for gun rights.  The average layperson did not think twice about it.  Seemed 'reasonable' based on media hype related to 'gun violance'.  The won't see the problem till it is far too late.

We have a slight advantage based on advance knowledge of the planned 2017 proposal.  Lets all get in from of it and try to hold back the attack.  Rest assured, the attacks will continue to come, but we have to keep pushing back or no one else will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This actually passing ?

If anyone has any pull with the NRA and can spotlight the issue to bring some additional resources to bear we should get started now. I think we're going to have to pull out all the stops on this one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Looks like he will likely be re-elected since he is essentially running unopposed.

https://ballotpedia.org/Washington_Attorney_General_election,_2016

Talk about an ill informed ass hat with an agenda.
View Quote

The wife and I voted for the Libertarian.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Predictable. An Initiative on Mental Health restrictions for firearms ownership, Hillary possibly becoming President, and a state that is getting more and more blue every year. Who didn't think that someone wasn't going to propose an AWB?

Better fire up Facebook to start the grassroots effort along with an appeal to the NRA to actually spend some money in our state fighting the barrage of bad ideas that keep getting passed.

All of that was so effective in the fight against 594.

This state is done. Lie to yourselves if you want and beat your chest in a Molon Labe moment but when you have a state government that willfully ignores the state constitution and plenty of wealthy kooks that will finance any attempt to restrict firearms rights, the writing is on the wall. Fight, Flight, or hide your shit and claim a boat accident.

Fighting with bumper stickers, Facebook campaigns, and countless NRA dinners isn't going to be enough. The guy in Capital Hill that works at the vegan restaurant with his life partner doesn't give a shit nor does the carpetbagger from the Bay Area working at one of the local tech companies who just wants "Common Sense" gun control.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I never understood why the AG is one of the lesser contested offices of the state. It's one of THE most important government roles at the state level.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#33]

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/politics-government/article100417687.html

Senator Mike Padden, a Republican from Spokane Valley, said he’s “skeptical” of the ban, saying people use the assault weapons for sport and could use them as protection from criminals with guns.

“The idea that terrorists and criminals would have the weapon and some law-abiding citizens would not bothers me,” he said in a phone interview Wednesday.

Padden is the chairman of the Senate’s Law and Justice Committee — the likely first stop in the Senate for Ferguson’s bill.

Padden noted some gun regulation bills haven’t passed even the Democrat-controlled House in recent years. He said Ferguson’s legislation would have to do so in order for him to consider holding a hearing on it.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/politics-government/article100417687.html#storylink=cpy
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

http://static.seattletimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/4f51768a-7524-11e6-810d-ac11f84a12e6-1560x1040.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As the local Negro specialist, I can confirm that is NOT Al Sharpton.
I called the gov and the ag. Great talking points from this thread-

AG has Constitutional job description- introducing or lobbying for legislation is not in that job description.

WA Constitution is very clear our RKBA shall not be impeded.

gov wanted me to call the ag- "I find it effective to call the boss of rogue employees"

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Most of us knew this was coming after 594 passed. WA liberal cancer found a new tool to ram laws down our throats by utilizing the states vast and deep voting pool that consists almost entirely of uninformed, simple minded, easy to influence, complete idiots. Majority of voters in WA know little more than the crappy description provided on the ballot about any initiative they are voting on.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

HE chalks up his loss to supporting an AWB in '94 which ironically is when the Federal ban was enacted. I think it's posturing for his loss on his part and doubt it had to do with his position on the issue.

Besides, would you argue the state is MORE or LESS liberal now than it was in '94?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clintons assessment not mine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Senator Mike Padden, a Republican from Spokane Valley, said he’s "skeptical” of the ban, saying people use the assault weapons for sport and could use them as protection from criminals with guns.

"The idea that terrorists and criminals would have the weapon and some law-abiding citizens would not bothers me,” he said in a phone interview Wednesday.

Padden is the chairman of the Senate’s Law and Justice Committee — the likely first stop in the Senate for Ferguson’s bill.

Padden noted some gun regulation bills haven’t passed even the Democrat-controlled House in recent years. He said Ferguson’s legislation would have to do so in order for him to consider holding a hearing on it.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/politics-government/article100417687.html#storylink=cpy
View Quote

.. and when it gets stalled and/or shot down in the legislature, WaCF and WAGR probably already have their Initiative drafted and signature gatherers camped out in their lobbies waiting for the "go" signal.

Which is pretty much exactly how it worked in 2013 when Jamie Pedersen could've had UBC, but he wouldn't drop the pistol registry that he said that he couldn't see any use for, in this article http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020389406_backgroundcheckxml.html . When he couldn't get it his way, he let it become I-594.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

.. and when it gets stalled and/or shot down in the legislature, WaCF and WAGR probably already have their Initiative drafted and signature gatherers camped out in their lobbies waiting for the "go" signal.

Which is pretty much exactly how it worked in 2013 when Jamie Pedersen could've had UBC, but he wouldn't drop the pistol registry that he said that he couldn't see any use for, in this article http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020389406_backgroundcheckxml.html . When he couldn't get it his way, he let it become I-594.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Senator Mike Padden, a Republican from Spokane Valley, said he’s "skeptical” of the ban, saying people use the assault weapons for sport and could use them as protection from criminals with guns.

"The idea that terrorists and criminals would have the weapon and some law-abiding citizens would not bothers me,” he said in a phone interview Wednesday.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:04:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Enough of this shit.  I see more and more CA license plates up here.  I am hoping it is Pro 2A votes that left that communist shit hole.  We need the votes.  

Did anyone take the FB poll to GD??
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:17:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Most of us knew this was coming after 594 passed. WA liberal cancer found a new tool to ram laws down our throats by utilizing the states vast and deep voting pool that consists almost entirely of uninformed, simple minded, easy to influence, complete idiots. Majority of voters in WA know little more than the crappy description provided on the ballot about any initiative they are voting on.
View Quote

I doubt most of them even read the pamphlet, you're giving them too much credit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
Hilarious that the guy from Spokane Valley thinks that Western Washington gives two shits about the area of Washington east of the Cascades. King County effectively cancels out every vote in Spokane Valley along with a good chunk of the rest of Eastern Washington. Keep thinking that the opinions of your constituents means anything more than a smelly fart in Olympia.

That area would be better off figuring out how to join Idaho like West Virginia did back in the day.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Not quite grasping how the whole committee thing works?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:13:33 AM EDT
[#43]
This whole things just been a big mess since i-594 I remember posting signs , flyers , bumper stickers everything I could think of it was a big hit for us legal gun owners unfortunately if we don't get out there agian the ban will pass e need to find a way to beat this.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:04:16 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Not quite grasping how the whole committee thing works?
View Quote
On the contrary.

I absolutely understand how a committee works but if he thinks that he'll be able to hold the line through his inaction, how did that work for so many other issues that the State Senate didn't want to proceed?
GunnyG nailed it with his observation that the initiative process will be used to short circuit "those backwards thinking and anti.... (fill in the blank from Black Lives Matters, Gay Rights, Anti-Marijuana, etc.) Republicans".
Ever notice how the State Supreme Court and the Legislature doesn't have problems with initiatives that don't usurp any of their powers but an initiative like the ones from Tim Eyman will get declared "unconstitutional"? I keep saying it but WA is now even more beholden to one county. 1.2+ million votes make it nearly impossible to gain traction on any state issues or elections. It's my biggest beef right now with Bryant's campaign. He has a great platform and some actual solutions to our problems but he needs to spend nearly all his time in King County. He'll win the rest of the state and still lose the election just like Dino and Bob did in past elections.

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 3:54:52 AM EDT
[#45]
I nearly blew a fuse when I saw the alert from King5.

A couple of potential bright spots among the gloom:

1. Ferguson namechecked Ceasefire, not WAGR (Bloomberg's minions that did 594). Ceasefire has been very ineffective over the years and doesn't have the money or organization to make a big difference on a bill or an initiative. WAGR is still pushing initiative 1491 and their website is silent on this new AWB proposal. My understanding is that Bloomberg and co recognize the futility of state level AWB.

2. The AWB bills "found constitutional in other states" were not in states that hasthe  RKBA in their State Constitution like WA. Ferguson cannot escape recent WA Supreme Court precedent such as City of Seattle v Evans (available at http://www.courts.wa.gov/opinions/pdf/906084.pdf) which protects possession of military weapons under the WA State Constitution.

Of course, you can never predict the WA Supreme Court and hopefully it won't get to that level...
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 4:06:31 AM EDT
[#46]
I am currently involved with a state legislative task force on suicide prevention along with the local NRA rep and Alan G. of SAF.  We're meeting tomorrow in that context, and I will personally ask them what I can do to help fight this.  I moved here from California, and I'll be damned if I see Washington go the same way as that state without a fight.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 6:58:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I am currently involved with a state legislative task force on suicide prevention along with the local NRA rep and Alan G. of SAF.  We're meeting tomorrow in that context, and I will personally ask them what I can do to help fight this.  I moved here from California, and I'll be damned if I see Washington go the same way as that state without a fight.
View Quote

I'm curious how you go about getting on a legislative task force for anything.   Seems we need more pro-2A people in Olympia, no matter what the intended purpose.

One thing the left does well, they will fight to get a pro "insert leftist topic here," into each and every government position they can, from AG to dog catcher.  We need to do the same.

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Well, I better start planning my move away.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Why are we almost always playing defense on these issues?  Why are we waiting for the left to come out with an innitative?  We should be running an initiative now, before they do which strengthens our 2nd amendment rights. This is why the I594 was such a mess, they files an innititive and then we filed a pro 2nd and it just muddies the water and half the people didn't know which was which.  We should already be running one now so we can start the debate about whether or not to give is more leeway on 2nd amendment rights vs letting them file and start a debate about whether or not to take them away.

CJG
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Why are we almost always playing defense on these issues?  Why are we waiting for the left to come out with an innitative?  We should be running an initiative now, before they do which strengthens our 2nd amendment rights. This is why the I594 was such a mess, they files an innititive and then we filed a pro 2nd and it just muddies the water and half the people didn't know which was which.  We should already be running one now so we can start the debate about whether or not to give is more leeway on 2nd amendment rights vs letting them file and start a debate about whether or not to take them away.

CJG
View Quote

I'm waiting for you to start the intiative.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top