Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2016 1:05:35 PM EDT
I'd like to update my first aid training.  Among other things, I'd like to learn to use of the items in the typical bleeder/blow-out kit.  Are there good sources of training in the Puget Sound Area?  Recommendations?

FWIW, I tried searching this forum, but I guess my Search-Fu is weak.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I've trained with both these. I prefer RMI. The NOLS courses are available through REI. In my opinion, RMI adopts more up-to-date techniques and draws on lessons learned from the GWOT while NOLS/WMI tends to appeal to the tree hugger crowd. In my opinion the basic first aid classes offered by Red Cross and the like are basically useless.

The WFA (wilderness first aid) class can be done in a weekend and provides a good grounding in emergency medicine. Both organizations use the same language and protocols for training from first aid through ALS.  I think the minimum class they start to teach tourniquet use is wilderness first responder, which is about a week long class.

My certs are expired now, but last training I had emphasized aggressive bleeding control and treatment for shock. Once that blood has left the body it cannot be replaced outside a trauma center; BP can be supported temporarily with fluids but the best course of action is preserving as much blood volume as possible.

https://www.remotemedical.com/

http://www.nols.edu/wmi/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2ua8BRDeusOkl5qth4QBEiQA8BpQcEEgiEb0XE1pgrQLHgSFHQCGtIHKebX_4kzBy5DiywYaAvCR8P8HAQ

I don't have any direct experience, but Insights offers a class including trauma care and I'm confident they would be more geared toward shooters.

ETA: good on ya for seeking training. Each item in there has a skill set associated with it. Having said that, if the tools are available and I am bleeding out, don't stand there waiting for instruction. Try what you have available, to the best of your abilities.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I have no links or local ideas for training but I have taught courses like that for the military for most of my adult life.  remember these rules as a base.  air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, variations are bad.  your brain needs oxygen, blood transports oxygen, replacement fluids like saline don't transport oxygen so the more blood you lose the less oxygen carrying capacity your body has.  the old wives tale about losing a limb if you put a tourniquet on it is completely false.  you can have a tourniquet in place for up to 36 hours without removing it and still keep the limb.  There are other techniques that will allow you to use one longer. Good on you for seeking out training.  If you find somewhere that offers a good course let us all know.  You may want to search TCCC courses and wilderness medicine.  When I worked ski patrol in the sierras they use a class called OEC or outdoor emergency care.  It is usually taught on nights and weekend around this time of year.  I'm sure there is one being taught somewhere around Seattle.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.  The training I have is hopelessly dated--like mid-1980s dated (Military and outdoor oriented training).  I haven't updated my CPR training since the '90s.  Time to get back on top of it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#4]
The older first aid classes were pretty good but they've been dumbed down over time. Recent first aid classes I've been forced to sit through for work training have left me dumber than when I walked in. They are a waste of time.

ETA: for a severe injury the only definitive care is in a trauma center. Any interventions we can apply are stop-gap measures only to give a surgeon a viable patient. Certainly if a patient needs a tourniquet or hemostatics, or an occlusive dressing he needs to be on his way to the ER most ricky-tick.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The older first aid classes were pretty good but they've been dumbed down over time. Recent first aid classes I've been forced to sit through for work training have left me dumber than when I walked in. They are a waste of time.

View Quote

definitely true.  The common medical classes from the late 90's were absolutely more difficult than they are today.  Today they want to make sure no one fails so they make it so easy that no one can.  They teach to the lowest common denominator.  I'm sure there are some private organizations that teach much better classes than red cross or American heart assn. but if those are all you can find then they at least cover the basics.  If you have some time look into a EMT course at a local college.  Many times they teach them at night so it will work with a traditional work schedule.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

definitely true.  The common medical classes from the late 90's were absolutely more difficult than they are today.  Today they want to make sure no one fails so they make it so easy that no one can.  They teach to the lowest common denominator.  I'm sure there are some private organizations that teach much better classes than red cross or American heart assn. but if those are all you can find then they at least cover the basics.  If you have some time look into a EMT course at a local college.  Many times they teach them at night so it will work with a traditional work schedule.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best bang for your buck is the WMI wilderness first aid course available through REI. Costs you a weekend and maybe $150. My wife went through it when I was EMT certified and she learned the same techniques and language, only the class was more condensed with less lecture and hands-on time.

Whatever you do, do something. I got motivated years ago by a diving accident. I can state with certainty that you don't want to be in the position of looking at a friend or co worker lying on the deck, and not know what to do.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
 When I worked ski patrol in the sierras they use a class called OEC or outdoor emergency care.  It is usually taught on nights and weekend around this time of year.  I'm sure there is one being taught somewhere around Seattle.
View Quote

They still teach OEC, and is now on Edition 5.

Classes for Snoqualmie Pass start in August, although ski patrollers get first dibs, and most of the time they take up the whole class

Crystal Mountain offers a class, and they may take walk-ons.  I don't know for sure though.

Sources: Am a current patroller
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Classes for Snoqualmie Pass start in August, although ski patrollers get first dibs, and most of the time they take up the whole class

Crystal Mountain offers a class, and they may take walk-ons.  I don't know for sure though.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 When I worked ski patrol in the sierras they use a class called OEC or outdoor emergency care.  It is usually taught on nights and weekend around this time of year.  I'm sure there is one being taught somewhere around Seattle.

I have been looking for a patrol to join since I moved up here.  I contacted a few last fall but never heard back from anyone.  If you have any info about joining one close drop me a line.  Thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Insights Training Center
Tactical First Aid
http://www.insightstraining.com/view_course.asp?courseID=11

Good course, covers the basics in 1 day. They typically only offer it once a year.

Dark Angel Medical

Direct Action Response

http://darkangelmedical.com/direct-action-response-training-yakima-wa-4-5-nov-2016/

Coming to Yakima in November. No personal experience, but recommended by people I respect.

Thunder Ranch

Home and Vehicle Defense with Trauma Block

In-depth course with both shooting and first aid. A significant investment of time and resources, but you will get what you pay for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top