Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2016 2:26:55 PM EDT
So I have a unique problem that I have been waiting my whole life for.  We just bought a new house and I now have a gun room.  It's in the fully finished basement with no windows.  I plan on having an area for reloading, one for working on guns/ cleaning and I build fishing poles so an area for that.  My question to the group is, if you had a 15x17 foot room what all would you put in it?  So far what I'm thinking is

Two walls with full length work benches on them, shelving above one and cabinets above the other with storage below both
full wall of slatwall for displaying guns
large flatscreen TV with speakers throughout the room
recliner
computer work station
cabinet for storing ammo
separate cabinet for storing reloading components

Those are my ideas.  If you had this same problem what you do?  budget is somewhat of an issue but I'm not too worried about it.  If something is too expensive but also something I really want, then I'll just save up and get it.  We aren't moving any time soon so I want to do this right the first time.

Ready go.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
No beer fridge?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the Secure-It panel system and have a few of them.  They make some nice adjustable mounting systems at a reasonable price if you are looking for stands.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/secureit-tactical-milspec-kit?a=1885302

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No beer fridge?
View Quote

Beer and "other homemade beverages" fridge will be located in the room as well.  Thanks for looking out though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like the Secure-It panel system and have a few of them.  They make some nice adjustable mounting systems at a reasonable price if you are looking for stands.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/secureit-tactical-milspec-kit?a=1885302

View Quote

I like the concept and flexibility of this stuff.  I'll have to look at it a little more.  I don't know if I can afford to put it on an entire wall but maybe have a single section of it next to one work bench to hold stuff that is being worked on.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Dehumidifier?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Lots of steel reinforced concrete, a vault door, a good intrusion detection system and a camera system.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:49:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lots of steel reinforced concrete, a vault door, a good intrusion detection system and a camera system.

View Quote

This if your gonna be "displaying" guns
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Security has been addressed.  Room is hidden and has a solid core triple deadbolt door with additional electronic locks.  I'm also working on a camera system.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Security has been addressed.  Room is hidden and has a solid core triple deadbolt door with additional electronic locks.  I'm also working on a camera system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh. I can be in that in under 3 minutes. Less if there's an interior wall next to the door.

The exterior should be as armored as a standard safe if you're displaying guns inside
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#10]
That's a big enough space that a small rolling island might be nice.  I have a 4x6 rolling work table in my shop.  I have outlets in the ceiling to drop power to it.  It's nice not having to stare at a wall while I'm working on stuff.

Lighting is important and something I need to upgrade in my shop.  I'd put in rope light under the cabinets and bottom shelf to light the work bench.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Meh. I can be in that in under 3 minutes. Less if there's an interior wall next to the door.

The exterior should be as armored as a standard safe if you're displaying guns inside
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

two of the walls are concrete, the other two are studs but filled with rock gravel and lined with expanded metal before being covered with plywood and finally sheetrock.  Not entry proof but they will have to work really hard to get in.  The house itself is also down about a 1/4 mile private driveway.  By the time they do access the room, security system will have activated long ago and either I or the police should be there.  also like I said earlier the existence of the room is hidden, you have to get past a hidden door just to get to the actual secure door.  Unless I have shown you where the room is you won't know it exists.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's a big enough space that a small rolling island might be nice.  I have a 4x6 rolling work table in my shop.  I have outlets in the ceiling to drop power to it.  It's nice not having to stare at a wall while I'm working on stuff.

Lighting is important and something I need to upgrade in my shop.  I'd put in rope light under the cabinets and bottom shelf to light the work bench.
View Quote

I do have under cabinet and under shelf lighting installed but it always got hot.  I like the rope lighting or maybe LED lighting idea.  I also like the island idea.  i'll have to plan that into one of the side work benches.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

two of the walls are concrete, the other two are studs but filled with rock gravel and lined with expanded metal before being covered with plywood and finally sheetrock.  Not entry proof but they will have to work really hard to get in.  The house itself is also down about a 1/4 mile private driveway.  By the time they do access the room, security system will have activated long ago and either I or the police should be there.  also like I said earlier the existence of the room is hidden, you have to get past a hidden door just to get to the actual secure door.  Unless I have shown you where the room is you won't know it exists.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you've done what needs to be done here, presuming the IDS is up to snuff. Have a battery backup for your alarm / cam systems? Will they function if landlines/networks are disabled?

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sounds like you've done what needs to be done here, presuming the IDS is up to snuff. Have a battery backup for your alarm / cam systems? Will they function if landlines/networks are disabled?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes everything is running on battery backup and I get notified when power switches to battery.  Security system runs off cell service so no worries about lines being cut.  All controls for all systems are located inside the room with cloud backups.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I do have under cabinet and under shelf lighting installed but it always got hot.  I like the rope lighting or maybe LED lighting idea.  I also like the island idea.  i'll have to plan that into one of the side work benches.  Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used something like this in my gun safe and a few other projects:

LED strip lights

The leds don't get hot at all, power supply a little warm.  The adhesive isn't very good so I stick it on with glazing tape from the glass shop.

I mostly just leave them on white in my safe.

Psychedelic cupola:
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

LED strip lights

The leds don't get hot at all, power supply a little warm.  The adhesive isn't very good so I stick it on with glazing tape from the glass shop.

I like it.  I don't know if I need the colors but it might be fun to have a button you push and everything turns to red lights war room style. lol.  I know I need to do something better than the current lights so this might be the ticket.

Psychedelic cupola:
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z81/rocketscott2/AE9911F2-FB8E-498A-8BA4-2708891162A8.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LED strip lights

I like it.  I don't know if I need the colors but it might be fun to have a button you push and everything turns to red lights war room style. lol.  I know I need to do something better than the current lights so this might be the ticket.

Psychedelic cupola:
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z81/rocketscott2/AE9911F2-FB8E-498A-8BA4-2708891162A8.jpg

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top