Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2016 12:00:34 PM EDT
I want to pick up an M1.  I have heard that the CMP is a good way to get one cheaper than other places.  I was told that you have to be a member of a certain type of shooting group or club to qualify for the CMP.  Anyone know anything about the process or where I should start?  is it worth it to go through the CMP or just easier to go to LGS and buy one there?  Anyone have experience either way?

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to join a group.  Many qualify.
In WA, your rifle has to go through an FFL now I believe (I-594).
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You can look up clubs here:

CMP Club Search

GHSC is an affiliated club

It's somewhat hit or miss on the CMP.  The garand I got had a replacement stock that needed some work to get to fit right.  Didn't cost anything to fix, just the time to do it.  It also had a cracked elevation knob.  I bought a replacement at a WAC show but if I had noticed it when I got the rifle I bet the CMP would have swapped it out.

I've had a couple other friends get really nice rifles from them so I think mine was a bit of an anomaly.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#3]
so your opinion it's worth it to go through the extra effort for a CMP rifle?  sounds like a good deal if I'm willing to do the extra paperwork.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You have to join a group.  Many qualify.

In WA, your rifle has to go through an FFL now I believe (I-594).
View Quote

Lots of groups. If you're military (even reserves/guard), you're covered on that one... Otherwise, pick the one you like.

Thanks to 594, your rifle has to go through an FFL *or* you have to have a C&R.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Totally worth it, you won't beat the price, but you'll have to wait for it to process.  Easiest group to join is the GCA, gets you a little magazine mailed to your house quarterly.  Get your CPL if you don't have one yet, and you're basically set.  The FFL requirement was added by I-594, before that they'd mail it right to your door.  While you're ordering, put in an order for their surplus 30-06 ammo, and a pack of clips.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:54:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't they also accept the NRA membership as a qualifier?

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:32:50 AM EDT
[#7]
It is completely worth it.
The Garand Collector's Association was a great club when I was a member, they had excellent magazines full of information. If you are a veteran or current military you don't need to participate in a shooting competition to buy.

The CMP rifles are well worth it. I have bought:
2 M1 Garands
1 M1D Garand
1 M1903 Springfield
1 M1 Carbine.

All excellent rifles.
My M1D
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Make it easy on yourself;

Garand Collector's Association
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:30:31 AM EDT
[#9]

My CMP garand one day in the elk woods.  1954 HRA, essentially correct with the exception of the stock.  It was unissued and unfired upon receipt.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#10]
GCA is easy, online.

CMP is great for Garands, Carbines, 1903's, ammo, etc...

1911's coming soon!

Yes, join the CMP, you won't regret it!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#11]
You are smart to get your M1 Garand from the CMP.   You will get exactly what you pay for and their customer service is excellent.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't they also accept the NRA membership as a qualifier?

View Quote

No.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#13]
So a new questions, What do I order?  Do I get the cheapest field grade or get a service grade and wait up to 6 months fir either of those or do I get one of the select that seems to be all new parts and is more expensive but ships faster?
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So a new questions, What do I order?  Do I get the cheapest field grade or get a service grade and wait up to 6 months fir either of those or do I get one of the select that seems to be all new parts and is more expensive but ships faster?
View Quote

Your call.  
Every once in a while I think about seeing if I can upgrade my order from service grade  to a "special" but then I think about it.  "Specials are more $$ and most or all of the service grades's are coming through now with new wood just like the specials.  The barrels all seem to be good on the current service grades's and if for some unlikely reason I hate the barrel, I can always upgrade to a new one later.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm leaning toward service grade just really don't want to wait that long.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm leaning toward service grade just really don't want to wait that long.
View Quote

All of mine have been service grade and have been absolutely wonderful rifles.

The waiting is the hardest part.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I think I have made the decision to go with a service grade.  I have my passport, DAV card and drivers license.  The only other thing I think I need is a copy of a FFL license from whoever I'm going to have it sent to right?  Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't forget along with a 594 transfer fee you get bent over for state sales tax too.

Almost makes it not worth it anymore.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not if you have an 03ffl.

Had 3 service grades delivered yesterday.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't forget along with a 594 transfer fee you get bent over for state sales tax too.

Almost makes it not worth it anymore.

Not if you have an 03ffl.

Had 3 service grades delivered yesterday.

Yes but to get the 03 FFL is a few more months waiting then you start the wait for the M1.  I have been seriously looking at going the 03 route though.  I looked at the application and it looks pretty simple.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#22]
So I sent in my application for a 03 C&R yesterday.  I figured with taxes and background checks this will be a cheaper way to go even if I only do the one purchase, although I highly doubt I will stop at just one. lol.  Is there any "unique" things I need to know about having a C&R and the I-594 bill?  I know if I sell anything I have to do it through a FFL but so far with all my reading there are no state things I need to do that I can find.  Am I missing anything?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Just looked on the CMP website and they are sold out of service grade as of today.  crap.  so do I go for rack grade or special?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#24]
They will have more.  The only Special that they have on hand at the moment is the .308.  I'd wait, then be ready to order.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I should have my C&R license back before too long and I already have the money so I guess just pull the trigger as soon as they are available.  Also looks like they shut everything down, not just special grade.  I have done a little looking around the internet and it looks like they are just pausing, getting caught up with back orders and assessing what all they have left before they open it back up but that does indicate that the end is near.
Top Top