Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2016 4:57:23 AM EDT
Has anyone picked one up and attempted the process to get it road worthy/legal in WA state? For those that didn't know they are now available: official Humvee auctions
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Would like to know how this is going to work out as well.  I don't know anybody that's messed with it.  

Also will be interesting to see what they actually sell for.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would like to know how this is going to work out as well.  I don't know anybody that's messed with it.  

View Quote

Click on the sold tab on the website provided and it will show you what they have sold for.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
wish i could afford one, looks like now they come with papers to help register them
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Click on the sold tab on the website provided and it will show you what they have sold for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well duh.   Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and also deflating my sails.   lol I was hoping they were substantially cheaper then that.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:30:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Fuuuuck that! I know exactly how those things were treated.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

I was driving those back in the 80's.

I would so buy one if I won the lottery. Neat toy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're a cool ride to have, but a lot of them definitely may need double the auction price in parts & maintenance.

I'm just glad they're not cutting these up for scrap like they did with M151s
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They're a cool ride to have, but a lot of them definitely may need double the auction price in parts & maintenance.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#10]
After what we put some of those things through, there is no way in hell I would pay that much for them!
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:50:50 PM EDT
[#11]
The prices and conditions vary wildly, some days there just haven't been the bidding interest so we think if we are lucky we can pick buy one of the Southwest ones for around $10k. I know first hand how ragged some of these can be (who thinks it's a good idea to give a 2LT a Humvee and say its ok to 4 wheel it on non duty hours? in Germany...) My buddy already has a replacement engine and drivetrain if its needed. If we get one ill make sure to post updates.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#12]
The maintenance cost on the drivetrain components is hard to believe.
This is nothing like any conventional 4 X 4 that most off-roaders are familiar with.
I would definately steer clear of these rigs, a smaller modern utility vehicle simply makes more sense.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The maintenance cost on the drivetrain components is hard to believe.
This is nothing like any conventional 4 X 4 that most off-roaders are familiar with.
I would definately steer clear of these rigs, a smaller modern utility vehicle simply makes more sense.
View Quote

Meh, they aren't that unconventional. There are dedicated forums from which to source information and parts.

I agree that a modern utility type vehicle makes way more sense as a daily driver. But that isn't why people are buying them. It's a hobby, they are toys. Like an old muscle car or a built up Jeep or a boat. I would buy one for that purpose and in fact did bid on a few last year. But once the price went past $8,000 I dropped out. Ended up selling for $12-13k. Too much for something that you are gambling on being able to get street legal, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#14]
We had one as a brush truck at a fire station I used to work at.  It would spend 6 months a year on a flat bed going to or from the shop or in the shop.  You couldn't keep a transmission in it and the brakes lasted about 2000 miles.  I would still take one at the right price though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#15]
FYI, there's an active thread on this topic over in General >> Cars & Bikes forum.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

We had one as a brush truck at a fire station I used to work at.  It would spend 6 months a year on a flat bed going to or from the shop or in the shop.  You couldn't keep a transmission in it and the brakes lasted about 2000 miles.  I would still take one at the right price though.
View Quote

That's how they are on Active Duty, too...
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And always were. In 87, as a driver my TOW carrier had less than 40 miles on it when I spent four days of a two week FTX with the REMFs waiting for a new transmission.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top