Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2015 8:18:00 PM EDT
I'm about 6 months out from my next move and I've got verbal orders to WA. It seems easy enough to get a CPL once I am in state, but I've also read its just as easy to get a non resident permit before hand.

Would there be any issues with applying for and obtaining a non-resident CPL about 3 months before my move and then keeping/using the non-resident permit? It would save me about a month or so without a permit. It appears that WA does not recognize the SC permit I currently hold.

Thanks and cant wait to get out of the current state of CT.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I cant really help with your questions but when I PCSed to JBLM I walked into the police department, showed my military ID and orders, filled out the paper work and had my CPL in hand less than 5 weeks later.

it is really fast and very easy to do here, esp. for military.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There should be no issues.

View Quote

Thanks. The only thing I could think of might be some reciprocity issues with a non resident vs resident permit.  Can't wait to be back in a normal state. My ar drew some attention today in ct. Guess they don't see a lot of suppressed post ban ar15s here.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]

You can buy CLP at any good gun shop or hardware store.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#5]
It's called a Concealed Pistol License in your state right?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#6]
The DOL says no unless in person.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconcealreq.htmll

Getting a concealed pistol license
Where to apply

If you live... - Apply at your local law enforcement agency – See Below…

In an unincorporated area of a county in Washington - Your county sheriff’s office

In an incorporated city or town in Washington - The police Department in your city or town or Your county sheriff’s office

Outside of Washington (not a Washington state resident) - Any local law enforcement agency in Washington State

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71BJTCGrIyL._SY355_.jpg
View Quote

Hella dyslexic
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:14:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hella dyslexic
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71BJTCGrIyL._SY355_.jpg

Hella dyslexic

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Have to be in person.  Most agencies are real quick to get them out unless you happen to live in king county.  I think it took my buddy 3 weeks to get his there.  In Snohomish county it took 2 weeks and when I lived in Mill Creek....3 days
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Part of the process is getting finger-printed. Don't know how you can do that if you are not physically there??
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#11]
There won't be an issue, BUT as others have pointed out you have to apply in person. So it would be kind of silly to fly out for a day just to put in your application.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There won't be an issue, BUT as others have pointed out you have to apply in person. So it would be kind of silly to fly out for a day just to put in your application.
View Quote

Ok looks like I'll have to wait if I need to apply in person. I'll call in a few months. Was hoping I could have it ahead of time. At least it's not taking 6 months to get a permit like it is in ct.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ok looks like I'll have to wait if I need to apply in person. I'll call in a few months. Was hoping I could have it ahead of time. At least it's not taking 6 months to get a permit like it is in ct.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give your precinct a call before you go down there, some only do the finger printing on certain days of the week.

Originally Posted By RCW 9.41.070: However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license.

This section in the code caught my eye, I had a place for a few months before coming out here for good so I had the 90 days worth of utility bills but I don't know if they do actually wait 60 days for new residents.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I think you are supposed to be a resident for a certain number of days but I went in and got my drivers license as soon as I got here (took 6 days to show up) then headed down to the sheriffs office. I applied and did fingerprints on Friday and the next Tuesday the permit was in my mail box.  I know it's county specific but it really doesn't take a long time.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:20:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I've never seen them take that long. They give the extra time for background checks because they have to contact other states and get the records back. I've known a few people that took a month or so for that reason though.
I've also never seen them give a joe a hard time, most just go in with their orders. No need to get a WA license first.

No, I'm wrong. I've seen one person who took longer than the 30 days due to some silly reason, and when he went back the clerk who kept telling him there was a hold up, was told to give him his license by a superior.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Yea part of the shall issue part of getting a Wa CPL is the 30 days thing is a law, they HAVE to get it to you in 30 days or people start getting in trouble, at least according to the clerk at the Sno Co Sheriffs office who handles them.  During the last big rush they were swamped and BS'ing with her she said they were sweating bullets trying to stay under 30 days, but the flood of applications was hard to keep up with.  (I was just renewing and had mine in less than 2 weeks even renewing an expired license).
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think you are supposed to be a resident for a certain number of days but I went in and got my drivers license as soon as I got here (took 6 days to show up) then headed down to the sheriffs office. I applied and did fingerprints on Friday and the next Tuesday the permit was in my mail box.  I know it's county specific but it really doesn't take a long time.
View Quote

At least in Pierce they said you don't have to have been a WA resident for the required amount of time (I think it's 90 days) but if you haven't been then the application could take closer to 60 days than 30. It didn't seem like that really applied to military though.

You can always open carry while you wait if that's your thing. Otherwise make friends with someone who carries and take them everywhere
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#19]
At this point I think we still honor UT.  So, you could snag you Utah permit prior to coming and carry on day 1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top