Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2015 7:24:14 AM EDT
I'm 35 days away from my move to Washington State.  Once I find a permanent address, I'm hoping to set up a trust and start the process of SBRing about 5-6 of the Class I firearms that I currently own.   It appears, after reading the postings here, that Form 1s are not being approved due to some confusion, but could a business, like Rainier Arms, as an example, swap out the barrel on my Uzi Model B carbine with a 10" version, add a stock to my POF MP5 pistol and replace the 16" barrel on my Colt M4 carbine with a 11" one??

If that's possible, would there be a "double" tax... One to make the SBR and another for the transfer??

Sorry for my confusion in this matter.  I know that the ATF had/has stopped approving anything for Washington State, but it sounds that its only a temporary phase... Except for the Form 1 issue.  

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Bring it to an FFL/SOT class 2, they will register it on the ATF form 2 (tax free) and transfer it to you on the form 4.

Randy
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bring it to an FFL/SOT class 2, they will register it on the ATF form 2 (tax free) and transfer it to you on the form 4.

Randy
View Quote

Are we sure it's legal for WA dealers, FFL/SOT class 2 even, to "manufacture" for in state sale? The law seems to state otherwise.
Seeha.  it might one of those things that comes back at us like the form 1 has
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Randy
View Quote

Technically, SOT holders in the state of washington are only legally allowed to file form 2s for the purposes listed below.
"(i) To be used or purchased by the armed forces of the United States;
(ii) To be used or purchased by federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agencies; or
(iii) For exportation in compliance with all applicable federal laws and regulations."
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#4]
OK.  If that's the case then how would I go about getting a pistol made into a SBR?  I ask because I have a M92 that I want to SBR and apparently I waited too long on getting a stamp to do it myself. Can I ship it out of state?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#5]
just trust/efile all the stuff you have now...get approvals...and then 5320.20 perma-move the guns to WA. Got any relatives where you are now that could hold on to the class 1 stuff until the stamps get back?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
just trust/efile all the stuff you have now...get approvals...and then 5320.20 perma-move the guns to WA. Got any relatives where you are now that could hold on to the class 1 stuff until the stamps get back?
View Quote

That was going to be my suggestion as well. Get the ball rolling in AK if you can, and have someone keep hold of the pistols you are wanting to SBR, until approvals come back. Right now in WA, SBRs are being straightened out so if you wait until you're here, who knows what you're in for, along with the rest of us.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:26:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Could also try to find a sympathetic shop out of state that will form 2 it for you and then send it to you on a form3 and form 4
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:33:45 AM EDT
[#8]
No Form 1s right now.
Form 4s are going through.
A manufacturer (and this would need to be a Type 07 FFL with a Class 2 SOT) can only make them for export (and the other couple exemptions, but those don't apply to this). The place I work can make all we want, but have to send them out of state.

EDIT: Fixed a typo... A type 02 FFL is a pawn broker. Oops.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top