Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2015 1:59:57 AM EDT
After reading about the 50 BMG prohibition at the Tacoma club I wrote to them asking if I could use my suppressed 50 BMG with subsonic ammo.  I got a reply back simply saying that 50 BMG was prohibited there.  Anyone know why?  Thanks.

Randy
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:50:05 AM EDT
[#1]
This is VERY common restriction.  The only range I know of in the area that allows 50BMG is the one in Enumclaw.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:04:14 AM EDT
[#2]
But do you know why?  The Poulsbo Sportsman Club bans them due to what they call maintenance issues; even if I use subsonic ammo.  The ban on subsonic 50 bmg is for consistency reasons; complete BS if you ask me.

Randy
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:09:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I would suspect the berms are engineered with certain loads in mind, and 50 bmg is above that. They can't prove what you've loaded, so it is easier for them to rule it out entirely. Sounds like some land east of the pass is your best bet.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Because they royally piss everyone off that's trying to shoot tight groups, they are worried about a round defeating their backstop. That or the insurance company has a restriction. My father in law has an m82 and I have to stop shooting when he's shooting it, it's an annoying gun when you arnt shooting it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Drive to Eatonville. Upper Nisqually Gun Club has no restrictions on 50 BMG. As for the restrictions, their house/their rules. There is no way to ensure you are using subsonic rounds.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually subsonic rounds are much less noisy and have no sonic boom; that is how you tell if the cartridge is subsonic.  I got a reply back form the club and they say their baffles can't contain a 50 bmg round and their RO's are not "able to tell if the load is reduced or not".

I like the Eatonville range, but it is about 75 miles away.

Randy
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But do you know why?  The Poulsbo Sportsman Club bans them due to what they call maintenance issues; even if I use subsonic ammo.  The ban on subsonic 50 bmg is for consistency reasons; complete BS if you ask me.
View Quote

For the reasons other have stated.  Ability of the round to defeat the back stop, or baffles installed by the range.  Also ranges in metropolitan areas are always worried about rounds leaving the range and rounds with a further distance (or perceived distance) are concerning to them.  It's not always just about noise, but that certainly is a factor.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:27:17 PM EDT
[#8]
My subsonic suppressed 50 cal is less noisy than a 22lr with high velocity ammo and has about the same power as a 308 winchester.  I bet they wouldn't have a problem with a 510 whisper.

Randy
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:57:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Cascade Shooting Facilities is okay with 50BMG.

They have public shooting days, and have no caliber restrictions.  Next public shoot is July 11th, and then the 25th.

Calendar is here.

The only restriction is you have to be sure your round can make it 200 yards to the back berm.  50BMG subsonic should make that no problem.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:34:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Cascade, no thanks!  The range nazis (well just one really in particular) there are out in full force and some major A-HOLES.  Pass.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't had an issue out there.  The last time I was out there when public shooting was open I had no issues.

I haven't been to a public range where the RSOs are super chill.  I'm guessing this comes from having to deal with people of all skill levels.

Ranb,

Have you tried Issaquah Sportsmen's Club?  I didn't see anything in the rules disallowing 50BMG.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Tacoma Sportman's allowed .50's the last time I checked.  (all the way to 200 yrds!)

Most curtail their use either because of noice or because of the damage to backstops.  The Pe Ell range says no to them because people punch holes in all of the metal target stands.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:14:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I haven't had an issue out there.  The last time I was out there when public shooting was open I had no issues.

I haven't been to a public range where the RSOs are super chill.  I'm guessing this comes from having to deal with people of all skill levels.

Ranb,

Have you tried Issaquah Sportsmen's Club?  I didn't see anything in the rules disallowing 50BMG.
View Quote

ISC does not permit .50 BMG.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Actually subsonic rounds are much less noisy and have no sonic boom; that is how you tell if the cartridge is subsonic.  I got a reply back form the club and they say their baffles can't contain a 50 bmg round and their RO's are not "able to tell if the load is reduced or not".

I like the Eatonville range, but it is about 75 miles away.

Randy
View Quote

Well, until it goes off how do they know it's a subsonic round? And once it's fired it's caused the damage. If enough people "forget" which rounds they have loaded then their backstop gets screwed up.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I suppose if they could trust me to be responsible with my other guns, then they could accept that I'll not try to pull a fast one on them with my subsonic 50 bmg.  Shaking a subsonic 50 bmg cartridge will show that it has a small amount of powder in it.  A few 50 bmg rounds at 2800 fps are not going to ruin a dirt berm.

Randy
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I suppose if they could trust me to be responsible with my other guns, then they could accept that I'll not try to pull a fast one on them with my subsonic 50 bmg.  Shaking a subsonic 50 bmg cartridge will show that it has a small amount of powder in it.  A few 50 bmg rounds at 2800 fps are not going to ruin a dirt berm.

Randy
View Quote

I think the general concern with 50BMG is that it carries a huge amount of energy for a long distance, so escaped rounds are the real concern.  But it is easier for ranges to say "our berms can't handle it" instead of "we are worried you are going to have a round leave the range."  Ranges also deal with the lowest common denominator.  They allow you to use your 50BMG with subsonics, and everything is fine.  Joe-Billy-Bob sees you shooting the 50 and says "hey!  I'll bring mine next time", not knowing that you were limited to subsonics.  Hilarity may or may not ensue, depending on your frame of reference.

I think the situation is very much like our battle with NFA issues, EDUCATION.  I'm betting many of these ranges have had 50BMG bans for a long time, well before suppressed and subsonic 50 even really existed.  There is a lot of inertia in just letting policies stay the same, especially those in place a long time.  So we need to educate them, but like the NFA issues in the legislature, it will take time and multiple attempts to get it changed.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Randy
View Quote

That's true. Especially since anyone who has a .50 isn't Joe Bumpfire doing too much stupid crap hopefully.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:36:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Randy
View Quote

I don't think it's particularly reasonable to expect them to take your word for it.

In any event, it's not like there is any shortage of places to go shoot a .50 cal.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't think it's particularly reasonable to expect them to take your word for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't know what kind of people you are used to dealing with, but I think it is entirely reasonable for them to take my word for it.  If they made an exception for suppressed subsonic 50 bmg then that is just another rule I would be following.  I would no more break a rule like that than any other.  Shooting on club property is a privilege I don't want to jeopardize.  

Quoted:In any event, it's not like there is any shortage of places to go shoot a .50 cal.

There are no rifle ranges in Kitsap or Mason county I can use my 50 cal at.  I'd rather be shooting into a berm at an established range and not drive more than an hour to get there.

Ranb
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Wrong thread.

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 2:11:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Ive shot 50BMG at Tacoma Sportsmans on Canyon on the members rifle range. Someone from the club house immediately drove down to make sure I wasn't shooting tannerrite or something, but didnt actually talk to me, just watched a me shoot a couple rounds.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 3:20:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My subsonic suppressed 50 cal is less noisy than a 22lr with high velocity ammo and has about the same power as a 308 winchester.  I bet they wouldn't have a problem with a 510 whisper.

Randy
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:12:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I belong to two gun clubs west of Seattle, can't shoot 50 bmg at either right now.  I went to a club meeting recently with a proposal to ease their restrictions on the use of 50 BMG rifles.  When it was time for new business I was told to make a motion (they use Robert's Rules), I did so and waited for someone in the small quorum of people present to 2nd the motion; it did not happen until the club president encouraged someone to do so because he thought we needed to actually discuss the proposal.  This of course was a bad sign.

I very briefly made my proposal; bench shooting only, reduced power target loads, slow fire.  I emphasized that shooting from the bench was typical of 50 BMG and that this would prevent damage to the baffles and that most people don't shoot much 50 cal ammo at the range each day reducing berm damage.

I got no love at all from the members present.  The Range Officers present told me that they had their hands full dealing with the way things are now.  I was asked to come up with another proposal and send it to the board.

I thinking to have a 50 BMG day once a month or so.  Restrict it to reduced power loads, slow fire, bench, maybe even prohibit muzzle brakes or require silencers. I'm thinking of raking the berm smooth and checking to see how much sand/dirt is displaced with each shot.  Any suggestions?   Thanks.

Randy

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:03:49 AM EDT
[#24]
SPAA is 50 friendly.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Wait, why should they make exceptions for you again when they've stated plainly the standard they hold members to?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:35:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Next time, I'd suggest bringing a few members with you that are friendly to your position.  "Stack the room" with backup.  You went in with no backup.  Have them sit in different parts of the room too, and give them the pertinent talking points you want to cover off on.  Peer pressure is a hell of a thing, bring some of your own....
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wait, why should they make exceptions for you again when they've stated plainly the standard they hold members to?
View Quote

I didn't say they should.  I was hoping that the Tacoma club would consider it though.  There is nothing wrong with asking.

Randy
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Noise is also an issue for .50 BMG. Cowlitz Public Shooting Range is not permitted for .50 BMG due to excessive noise.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 10:34:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Noise is also an issue for .50 BMG. Cowlitz Public Shooting Range is not permitted for .50 BMG due to excessive noise.
View Quote

Do they make an exception for suppressed 50 BMG?

Ranb
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 1:51:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ranb
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ranb

Nope, their permit prohibits all .50 BMG until they can pass the sound testing for that caliber. They've tried twice and failed by 2 dB, with a third test coming up sometime in the near future.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#31]
What is the sound level limit they're trying to meet?  85 decibels at the range property line?

Randy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top