Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2015 12:50:18 PM EDT
Like it says above.  I finally got my official job offer and should be pulling into town next weekend.  Going to be living outside of Port Orchard.  Any local info I should know?  Where is the closest range?  Who in the area does IDPA or 3 gun matches?  Any good gun stores around there?  Anything else I should know?  Thanks in advance all and cant wait to get up there.

Doc
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:44:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome, moving from Nevada you will enjoy the next six months of mild weather. Always plenty of shooting sports going on, I will let others closer to the area chime in.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome,

I shoot at Gig Harbor, mostly trap and the occasional rifle or pistol.

McCormick woods is a decent golf course if that's your thing.  It's not mine but they have the best Monte Cristo in the region, well worth a visit just for that.

There's lots of outdoor stuff to do.  I'm into sailing but mostly do that in Seattle and further north.  You can catch crabs minutes from your doorstep (yes, and yes. depends on where you go and what you are looking for)

I'm a contractor so if you need help with house stuff I have lots of connections.  The lumber company I use is in Port Orchard.

Too much stuff to list.  We should probably just go get a coffee or beer when you get here.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:27:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Top of the Morning to ya

Sir James...
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all.  Yes we are absolutely looking forward to the cooler weather.   Gig harbor appears to only be about 20 minutes away which to me qualifies as close to a range so that will be nice.  From everything I can find online it looks like a nice enough city.  Any parts of the area that the wife and I might want to avoid?  We are going to be renting a small place south west of town near the airport while we are house hunting.  I'm working in bremerton and the wife is going to be working in Tacoma.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#5]
The further out in the sticks you get the more meth heads there are.  I haven't had problems for a while (knock on wood) but I used to not be able to leave anything of value on jobsites.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome,

McCormick woods is a decent golf course if that's your thing.  It's not mine but they have the best Monte Cristo in the region, well worth a visit just for that.

There's lots of outdoor stuff to do.  I'm into sailing but mostly do that in Seattle and further north.  You can catch crabs minutes from your doorstep (yes, and yes. depends on where you go and what you are looking for)

I'm a contractor so if you need help with house stuff I have lots of connections.  The lumber company I use is in Port Orchard.

Too much stuff to list.  We should probably just go get a coffee or beer when you get here.

View Quote

just curious while you're here, doesn't Gig Harbor range have a ton of rules for rifle range? it's the nearest range to me but I"ve avoided it due to the rules I read on their site - e.g. no more than 5 centerfire rounds in a mag, no more than 10 rimfire rounds in a mag. Frankly it sounds like a fudd range.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Halibut and Chips at the Airport Diner
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Sent you an IM.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have usually found that airport diners have really good food.  Since it's close enough that we could almost walk there it might end up being our saturday morning breakfast spot.  I do love good fish and chips so i'll have to try that as well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have usually found that airport diners have really good food.  Since it's close enough that we could almost walk there it might end up being our saturday morning breakfast spot.  I do love good fish and chips so i'll have to try that as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he is referring to the Bremerton airport, maybe the Gig Harbor one. The food from the place near the Port Orchard airport is not good in my experience.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:30:33 AM EDT
[#11]
You are fortunate to locate on the Kitsap Peninsula. Lots to do in terms of the salt water, beautiful area, as noted, the next 6 month period should be wonderful, winter can be a test of indoor adaptation or living with rain.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:01:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

just curious while you're here, doesn't Gig Harbor range have a ton of rules for rifle range? it's the nearest range to me but I"ve avoided it due to the rules I read on their site - e.g. no more than 5 centerfire rounds in a mag, no more than 10 rimfire rounds in a mag. Frankly it sounds like a fudd range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome,

It is.  That annoys me but as little as I shoot rifle there it's not a big deal to me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Is there anywhere close to the bremmerton / port orchard area that does IDPA or 3 gun shoots?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Last time I looked into 3 gun the nearest place was a ways east.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:09:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I have no idea about matches, but KRRC is very close. A lot of the match/competition stuff is done in the Seattle area a ferry or drive away, I know West Coast Armory does some of that stuff.

If you enjoy safely pushing limits of cars, the south side of bremerton field there is the bremerton motorsports park with lots of autocross events from various clubs through the summer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:14:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I grew up in Port Orchard and my parents still live there. As far as gun stores go, there is one in Port Orchard next to Fred Meyer but its pretty small time. Silverdale has Sportsman Warehouse. There is Sportco on the way to Tacoma. Gig Harbor gun range is okay if your in a pinch and need to get some time in. I didn't have a really good experience with them.

Overall, pretty great area. There really are no dangerous spots in town. Not to say you shouldn't carry though. I still do. Definitely a meth problem in the area like someone said earlier.

If your into breakfast joints, try That One Place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top