Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2015 1:53:03 AM EDT
How am I just now reading this?

READ IT

A family member, household member (as defined in RCW 26.50.010) can file an "emergency risk protection order" against you. Among the reasons to file it lists "recent aquisition of firearms, ammunition, or other deadly weapons". It also defines "recent" as within 6 months of filing... Once filed, law enforcement has to make a good faith effort to confiscate your firearms for a year...

So a pissed off ex can go to the police 6 months after the breakup and file if you bought a case of ammo on the day of the breakup, and an LEO has to make an effort to confiscate your weapons...

ETA: A false claim is only a misdemeanor...
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup.  And the NRA just released a statement that the bill got yanked out of its original committee due to that committee receiving a ton of emails against the bill.  Now the bill is assigned to a bigger committee that has more Democrats in it and it may get a rushed emergency vote today.  

The other committee had only one more Democrat than Republicans and I bet at least one of the Dems was refusing to pass it...fishy stuff when a bill gets yanked out of committee at the last minute then reassigned.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]
This bill has a fiscal note; as far as I know this mean it goes to Appropriations next and has nothing to do with activity for or against it.

Randy
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#3]
It will likely die based on what a little bird told me.  Doesn't mean we don't keep the pressure on.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:18:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Hell a bill like that even being written and passed through the process is sketchy in my book...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top