Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2015 5:41:22 PM EDT
My fiancee and I are going to the San Juan Islands in May for our honeymoon.   I hope to have my Texas CHL renewed by then (it expires in March and I still haven't done the renewal work).  

I'm a full-time LEO in Texas.  Am I likely to have issues carrying in WA, without the Texas CHL?  Will taking the ferry to the Islands be a problem?  We're not going to Canada, so no worries there,  I'm just trying to figure out how much of a hassle it could be to take a handgun on the trip.  

Thanks for help!
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Texas CHL is not valid in WA. Don't know about LEO qualifications.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:26:34 AM EDT
[#2]
You can carry in all 50 states on your commission card. You will have no issues carrying concealed here.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can carry in all 50 states on your commission card. You will have no issues carrying concealed here.
View Quote
That's what I thought, but I know that there are places where local/state LE would still try to make life hell for you if they caught you carrying, or their CC laws are so restrictive it's not worth it anyway.  It doesn't sound like I need to worry about that in Washington, thankfully.

Sooo,  anybody have any "do-not-miss" sights to see while we're there?

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#4]
if all else fails, open carry: no permit required!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:26:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Friday harbor is a neat town, not sure if there are "must see" sights, but drive around the island the views in several areas are very cool. The national historical park is neat, I think there's a lighthouse down that way too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Orcas Island is fun, especially Moran State Park (has a lookout tower where you can see for miles on a clear day).

Pack your patience... LOTS of patience... and plan ahead for dealing with the ferry lines. My wife swore off visiting again after our last excursion. I think you may be able to reserve sailings ahead of time now; definitely worth looking into it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Orcas Island is fun, especially Moran State Park (has a lookout tower where you can see for miles on a clear day).

Pack your patience... LOTS of patience... and plan ahead for dealing with the ferry lines. My wife swore off visiting again after our last excursion. I think you may be able to reserve sailings ahead of time now; definitely worth looking into it.
View Quote

Yes, in the past, show up and pay first come first serve, you can now make reservations. Don't EVEN think about going on Sat/Sun if you are going in the Summer. Drive on, walk on limits you too much. San Juan will be much busier than Orcas. San Juan = more shopping and restaurants but more crowds. Both SJ and Orcas will be very scenic.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget to visit the site of the Pig War.

http://www.nps.gov/sajh/historyculture/the-pig-war.htm
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:59:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Check out Roche Harbor, for sure!
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 4:27:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Some great spots to do some short kayak rentals or even guided overnight trips.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#11]
While the islands are hippy magnets in general, stay away from Doe Bay on Orcas, hippy freak central.

I love visiting the Islands, I prefer Orcas but San Juan is neat for a day. Definitely do Mt Constitution. Turtleback is also neat. Also check out the light houses on San Juan and English Camp.

I like riding the ferry system, no problem carrying.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's what I thought, but I know that there are places where local/state LE would still try to make life hell for you if they caught you carrying, or their CC laws are so restrictive it's not worth it anyway.  It doesn't sound like I need to worry about that in Washington, thankfully.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have a sis-in-law and her husband that live in Friday Harbor. Pretty sure they have a pretty conservative sheriff up there now. It's a pretty good mix of people. On the surface it's nothing but libards but a lot of locals are very libertarian/conservative. Just not real vocal about it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Check out Roche Harbor, for sure!
View Quote

This is a good place to have lunch if you are on San Juan. More isolated, less crowds.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:49:53 AM EDT
[#14]
My family had a place on Lopez when I was a kid.  Those are my favorite memories.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Don't forget to visit the site of the Pig War.

http://www.nps.gov/sajh/historyculture/the-pig-war.htm
View Quote
Actually heard about the Pig War on a Stuff You Missed in History Class podcast.  It's what got us thinking about the San Juan Islands as a destination.  

We're planning on going on the 2nd week of May (not planning, I bought the tickets, thats when we're going).  Will it be late enough for things to actually be open for the season, or did I screw us on scheduling?  We tried to pick something  fairly early in the summer, to hopefully avoid the crowds (and the higher hotel rates).  

ETA:  Thanks for all the tips ya'll!!

I'm used to Gulf seafood, so I'm looking forward to some PNW cold water fish.  Thoughts on places to eat?  Places not to eat?  This is way better intel than looking in the guidebook we got.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#16]
um... the 2nd week of May really isn't the summer up here yet..
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
But it won't be a frozen hellscape like Pennsylvania in February, right?  (Please, God, let it be warmer)

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Probably mid 50's to low 60's and it'll probably be raining.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I went in February in both 2013 and 2014, little to no rain either time, and lots of sun. As I understand it, the geography of Vancouver Island and the Olympic mountains shield the islands from a lot of rain.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'm from Texas, you're gonna have to explain this "rain" concept to me.  

Temp sounds nice, though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#21]
View from Mt Constitution, Feb 2013.

View from our cabin on Orcas, Feb 2014.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Mt Constitution View (not my picture)

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
SWEET!!!      

Was this a rented/vacation type cabin?   If so, which one?  I sent the pics to the missus-to-be, she loves it.
View All Quotes

Yes rented. Beach Haven Resort. This is just the basic cabin, I'd rent one of their nicer ones for a honeymoon for sure, I think the near by West Beach resort has nicer cabins as well.

There's also the Rosario hotel, if you're looking for a more upscale joint.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Roche Harbor on San Juan (not my picture)

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#26]
From my experience, I doubt you will have any issue carrying concealed on the ferrys around puget sound.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
From my experience, I doubt you will have any issue carrying concealed on the ferrys around puget sound.
View Quote

Just don't try to bring a can of gas.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, July 5th is when summer usually starts . Though this year it's been summer almost all winter....
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yep, July 5th is when summer usually starts . Though this year it's been summer almost all winter....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This Winter was better than most Junuary's
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 1:52:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes, in the past, show up and pay first come first serve, you can now make reservations. Don't EVEN think about going on Sat/Sun if you are going in the Summer. Drive on, walk on limits you too much. San Juan will be much busier than Orcas. San Juan = more shopping and restaurants but more crowds. Both SJ and Orcas will be very scenic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is very good advice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#31]
My buddy is a deputy with SJCSO - I'll let him know you're coming  

-Go to Roche Harbor and check out the Lime Kilns (there are some nice little walking trails as well)
-Go to the Roche Harbor hotel and have a cocktail and enjoy the gardens and the view.
-Go to Lime Kiln State Park and see if you can see the J, K or L pod Orcas destrying a harbor seal. If the Orcas are not around, there are really cool tidal pools along the rocky beach.
-Go to the Lavender Farm
-Go to Cattle Point Lighthouse
-Go to Herb's Tavern (near the ferry terminal) and try the Cow Dipper sandwich.
-You will pass the Roche Harbor airport (grass field)... pay attention. You can see some really unusual flying machines, parked near the treeline, if you're lucky and the right millionaires/ billionaires are about.
-Watch for Deer. They are all over, outside of town.

The ferry lines and the drive to Anacortes can be a real PITA. If I were you, and the weather is nice; fly in on a Kenmore Air float-plane (or one of the others), the flight is *gorgeous*, and then go to Susie's Mopeds and rent one of their little buggies for the day.The whole island is 45mph, so you're fine. I despise being stuck behind them but - I understand  

I used to live near Roche so, feel free to holler at me. One more thing, if you meet any LE on SJI, don't mention the "barefoot bandit" - they're still a little sensitive about that  
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Made it in to Friday Harbor this morning.  The American Camp was pretty cool, saw a fox with a litter of pups.  Hoping to go to Roche Harbor tomorrow.

We stopped at Pike Place Market yesterday. It was definitely an experience, but holy hell it was a zoo. I scolded myself for not looking up whether Or not it's okay to throat-stab a homeless heroin junkie who's trying to pickpocket you (thankfully I didn't have to find out).   After traveling since 4am it was a bit much.   The crab benedict at Etta's was pretty damn good though.

We have 2 more days on San Juan, then 3 on Orcas.  The landscape here is some of the prettiest I've ever seen.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Very cool, glad you're having a good time! There's a reason PNW people love posting pics of the scenery whenever given the chance, we just can't get enough of it even after living here forever.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I will have to read the whole thread but I can't believe someone here did not tell you to stay out of Seattle.  There is American Camp and British Camp, sounds like you missed one and both worth seeing. When you get to ORCAS make sure you go to Moran State Park on a SUNNY day if you have the choice.

If you get to Roche, there is a nice place to eat overlooking the harbor, not hard to find.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:32:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes, definitely see British Camp if you can.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Got home yesterday from probably the best, most relaxing trip I've ever been on.  The wife and I loved the place, to the point that we got home and started looking at job availability

No whales, but seals, otters, and lots of birds (wife's a birder).  The weather was perfect, the people were friendly, and the grocery stores, while pricey, had a better selection than my local grocery store 25 minutes from Austin.  

I'll post pics when I get the camera unpacked.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I will have to read the whole thread but I can't believe someone here did not tell you to stay out of Seattle.  There is American Camp and British Camp, sounds like you missed one and both worth seeing. When you get to ORCAS make sure you go to Moran State Park on a SUNNY day if you have the choice.

If you get to Roche, there is a nice place to eat overlooking the harbor, not hard to find.
View Quote
Made it to both. Gotta say, the Brits sure knew how to build a picturesque military installation.  I'd want to fight from the American Camp, but live on the British Camp.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Glad to hear
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Post them in GD so everyone can tell you that it was unpossible, an isolated incident, the one nice day of the year, etc.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:06:23 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Post them in GD so everyone can tell you that it was unpossible, an isolated incident, the one nice day of the year, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We had a weeks worth of paradise up there, and missed a weeks worth of shit weather back in TX.  Can't beat that.

Also, I've never seen more Subarus (literally everywhere I looked) or more ancient, decrepit, 3rd-world-looking Toyota pickups (usually with a dog asleep in the cab) in my life.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#41]
... DT
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Also, I've never seen more Subarus (literally everywhere I looked) or more ancient, decrepit, 3rd-world-looking Toyota pickups (usually with a dog asleep in the cab) in my life.  
View Quote

LOL. But when you think about it, Outbacks, Foresters and Tacomas are ideally suited to this area: AWD or 4WD for surefootedness during inclement weather and poor driving conditions, reasonably fuel efficient and they offer more than enough clearance and capability to get up forest roads and through moderate mud and snow to access outdoor recreational activities such as hiking, biking, camping, canoeing, kayaking, shooting, fishing, skiing, snowshoeing, etc.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
LOL. But when you think about it, Outbacks, Foresters and Tacomas are ideally suited to this area: AWD or 4WD for surefootedness during inclement weather and poor driving conditions, reasonably fuel efficient and they offer more than enough clearance and capability to get up forest roads and through moderate mud and snow to access outdoor recreational activities such as hiking, biking, camping, canoeing, kayaking, shooting, fishing, skiing, snowshoeing, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh absolutely.  They make great sense up there, much more practical than a giant pickup.  Though I could imagine buying an old vehicle up there, one that had been on the islands for 20 years or so, and discovering that 3rd,4th, and 5th gear are completely unused, while 1st and 2nd are totally worn out .     The speed limits took some getting used to.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Got home yesterday from probably the best, most relaxing trip I've ever been on.  The wife and I loved the place, to the point that we got home and started looking at job availability

No whales, but seals, otters, and lots of birds (wife's a birder).  The weather was perfect, the people were friendly, and the grocery stores, while pricey, had a better selection than my local grocery store 25 minutes from Austin.  

View Quote

I have lived all OVER the place and NW Washington State has a lot going for it, no State tax, mild Summers, nice Fall, mild Winters, tons of hiking, places to shoot, jumping off place for Victoria, Vancouver B.C.,a good place to call home.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Oh absolutely.  They make great sense up there, much more practical than a giant pickup.  Though I could imagine buying an old vehicle up there, one that had been on the islands for 20 years or so, and discovering that 3rd,4th, and 5th gear are completely unused, while 1st and 2nd are totally worn out .     The speed limits took some getting used to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and in the summer time, there is a moped lurking around every corner and sometimes just parked on the road
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top