Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/8/2015 2:32:29 PM EDT
Hadn't heard any news on that front with all the focus on 594 recently, just wondering if the previous thoughts of clarifying the manufacture gray area was still in the works?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#1]
there is no gray area on "manufacturing"....there is on "making" though...
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Huh? Please explain..

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#3]
What i'm getting at is I see no gray area at all. Poorly written... yes. To many people are reading to far into/beyond the RCW.

RCW 9.41.190

Unlawful firearms—Exceptions.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section,

(2) [b]It is not unlawful for a person to possess, transport, acquire, or transfer a short-barreled rifle that is legally registered and possessed, transported, acquired, or transferred in accordance with federal law.

"Acquire"

verb (used with object), acquired, acquiring.  

1. to come into possession or ownership of; get as one's own:

2. to gain for oneself through one's actions or efforts:

Manufacturing/Making is a way of "acquiring" which is allowed under #2

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Not running the clarification this year.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:08:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Huh? Please explain.
View Quote

Making is what you do when you form 1 and assemble an sbr for your own use.

Manufacturing is doing the same thing, essentially, but for business purposes. When a gun manufacture wants to build a SBR they must be licensed to do so, and they don't use a form 1 to do it...or pay for a tax stamp, AFAIK.

IIRC subsection 3.b exempts manufactures, but only if the guns are for the government or legal exportation. I don't think WA based manufactures can manufacture SBRs for regular citizens, even under the current bill. Could be wrong though, I'm not a manufacturer so I haven't read into it much. In any case, subsection 1 does not authorized acquisition via manufacturing. If it did, 3b would serve no purpose and be contradictory.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not running the clarification this year.
View Quote

thanks dawgfish for the update.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Will there be an SBS bill?

Randy
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Not this year.  Defensive mode due to 594.  There will still be a need  for people to testify against some of the proposed bills.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Dawg did the AG ever respond to SBR language?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Senator Sheldon told me he was working with others to draft a request for an opinion last year.  But so far the AG is saying no one has asked him for an opinion.

http://www.atg.wa.gov/page.aspx?id=32433#.VLG6A3tRJdI
To date, there have not been any lawsuits filed against I-594, nor has our office received any AGO opinion requests.
View Quote

Randy
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:54:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't pull on the tail of the dragon.  Just leave it be.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I stand corrected.  Talked with Brian Blake this morning and Hayes out of the 10th district will be running a Mfg. bill for SBR's to clean up the language.   Bill number to follow.

Other bills that have yet to hit the info sheet include a bill to eliminate the state pistol registry, and a few others that attack other parts of I-594.  Should be an interesting year, and we can certainly use your help and support once the committee hearings start.  

Blake has heard of other bills that would pile on to I-594 but they have yet to be introduced in final form.

See you folks in Olympia this morning.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:15:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I stand corrected.  Talked with Brian Blake this morning and Hayes out of the 10th district will be running a Mfg. bill for SBR's to clean up the language.   Bill number to follow.

Other bills that have yet to hit the info sheet include a bill to eliminate the state pistol registry, and a few others that attack other parts of I-594.  Should be an interesting year, and we can certainly use your help and support once the committee hearings start.  

Blake has heard of other bills that would pile on to I-594 but they have yet to be introduced in final form.

See you folks in Olympia this morning.
View Quote

Hopefully they can get the clarification bill through. It'd be nice if the language was clean.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Language can be adjusted after introduction if something is objectionable.  I have an attorney well versed in firearms law who we can run the bill by.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:48:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I have had three SBR's approved with no issues or delays.  (2)AR's and  (1) SLR104-53

Mine have all been easy as 1,2 3

1. Get approved Form 1
2. Engrave Trust name on the receiver
3. Complete the build

If the ATF understands the wording and is approving Form 1's....., why make waves??

Look what beating to death the Sig Brace issue got us!

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 6:24:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:Other bills that have yet to hit the info sheet include a bill to eliminate the state pistol registry
View Quote

hahaha holy shit. that is awesome. i can't wait.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have had three SBR's approved with no issues or delays.  (2)AR's and  (1) SLR104-53

Mine have all been easy as 1,2 3

1. Get approved Form 1
2. Engrave Trust name on the receiver
3. Complete the build

If the ATF understands the wording and is approving Form 1's....., why make waves??

Look what beating to death the Sig Brace issue got us!

View Quote

We aren't sending countless letters to the ATF.  Hayes is I ust cleaning up the language.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Bill to clean up SBR manufacture language has been filed->

HB 1722
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#19]
A person, including an employee of such person if the15employee has undergone fingerprinting and a background check, who or16which is exempt from or licensed under federal law, and engaged in17the production, manufacture, repair, or testing of short-barreled18rifles to be used or purchased by a person who is not otherwise19disqualified from possessing, transporting, acquiring, or20transferring a short-barreled rifle and the short-barreled rifle is21legally registered and possessed, transported, acquired, or22transferred in accordance with federal law.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A person, including an employee of such person if the15employee has undergone fingerprinting and a background check, who or16which is exempt from or licensed under federal law, and engaged in17the production, manufacture, repair, or testing of short-barreled18rifles to be used or purchased by a person who is not otherwise19disqualified from possessing, transporting, acquiring, or20transferring a short-barreled rifle and the short-barreled rifle is21legally registered and possessed, transported, acquired, or22transferred in accordance with federal law.

Stop being a pussy and stamp that thing already
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks Topper.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bill to clean up SBR manufacture language has been filed->

HB 1722
View Quote

ummm, how does that clean up anything? Good for manufacturers...what about makers?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Suggest a change to the wording.  We can adjust the verbiage.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:15:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I thought you'd never ask. There's no rocket science going on here, I simply removed SBRs from section 1, and added some legal stuff you can do with them to section 2....though since they aren't banned by section 1 anymore, it's not like it has to be an all-inclusive list. The new/improved 'ok to manufacture if you're licensed to do so' changes in section 3 are retained. Presto, no more SBR issues. It's a fundamentally flawed approach to change these laws in such a way that leaves the banning language entirely in place, as the original 'sbr legalization bill' did by leaving section 1 alone. What that does is create a list of things that are legal to do, but EVERYTHING else you could do could be interpreted as being illegal because it's not specifically listed as being a legal act. The alternative approach, to strike SBRs from section 1 entirely, eliminates that threat to what would otherwise be legal actions. Someone on here had a more lengthy list of things that one can do with an NFA item...but for the life of me I can't find it, otherwise I would have cut/pasted into section 2....

AN ACT Relating to the manufacture and repair of short-barreled rifles; and amending RCW 9.41.190.2
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON: Sec. 1. RCW 9.41.190 and 2014 c 201 s 1 are each amended to read as follows:

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, or have in possession or under control, any machine gun, or short-barreled shotgun; or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, or short-barreled shotgun, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, or short-barreled shotgun; or to assemble or repair any machine gun, or short-barreled shotgun.

(2) It is not unlawful for a person to purchase, sell, possess, transport, make, acquire, or transfer a short-barreled rifle that is legally registered in accordance with federal law.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to:

(a) Any peace officer in the discharge of official duty or traveling to or from official duty, or to any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington in the discharge of official duty or traveling to or from official duty;  ((or))
      (b) A person, including an employee of such person if the employee has undergone fingerprinting and a background check, who or which is exempt from or licensed under federal law, and engaged in the production, manufacture, repair, or testing of machine guns,
short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles:

(i) To be used or purchased by the armed forces of the United States;
                 (ii) To be used or purchased by federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agencies; or
                 (iii) For exportation in compliance with all applicable federal laws and regulations; or

(c) A person, including an employee of such person if the employee has undergone fingerprinting and a background check, who or which is exempt from or licensed under federal law, and engaged in the production, manufacture, repair, or testing of short-barreled rifles to be used or purchased by a person who is not otherwise disqualified from possessing, transporting, acquiring, or transferring a short-barreled rifle and the short-barreled rifle is legally registered and possessed, transported, acquired, or transferred in accordance with federal law.

(4) It shall be an affirmative defense to a prosecution brought under this section that the machine gun or short-barreled shotgun was acquired prior to July 1, 1994, and is possessed in compliance with federal law.

(5) Any person violating this section is guilty of a class C felony.
--- END ---HB 1722
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:58:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll approach Blake with that suggestion. With the SBR language, stating legality of their ownership, use and such in the RCW is akin to hitting the ATF with a 2x4 saying, "SBR's are legal in Washington", so there is no wiggle room for interpretation.  As it is now I can't order an SBR parts kit, not even a complete firearm, from a few dealers so we want to make easy for everyone.  

I'll also run it by a firearms friendly attorney I know.  

Appreciate the suggestion.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Suggested changes have been forwarded to my attorney and Blake.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Cool, thanks amigo. I know there was some testy debate (ok, I have no idea if you were testy, but I'm almost always pissed about gun laws so I know I was!) back when no one knew what ATF was going to do about the WA law. I'm glad we've moved passed that because it's pretty clear at this point that you're good people...so I take back anything bad I ever said about ya.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#28]
No worries.  I really only care about getting stuff done and changed for the better.  We have the same goals and constructive suggestions are helpful.  Review should be done in the next few days.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Cool, thanks amigo. I know there was some testy debate (ok, I have no idea if you were testy, but I'm almost always pissed about gun laws so I know I was!) back when no one knew what ATF was going to do about the WA law. I'm glad we've moved passed that because it's pretty clear at this point that you're good people...so I take back anything bad I ever said about ya.  
View Quote

Yeah, I remember that too. I was guilty as well. So far, things seem to be improving. Lets make sure 2015 stays that way and we get our gun laws straightened back out!
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:34:00 AM EDT
[#30]
all this NFA stuff is still kinda new to me & I actually just thought of building an SBR 308 after thinking of an AR pistol in 308: perhaps an SBR would be a bit more "usefull" than aforementioned pistol....sooooo....

1) don't have a trust: is one needed for sbr's & (at a possible later date) suppressors?

2) I can have all the parts available, jsut no assembly until I get the stamp?

3) without a trust, what gets engraved on the receiver?

be gentle & lead me with baby steps...there seems to be some grey areas regarding making/manufacturing & I'd rather not go the "travel out of state" route if it can be avoided

J
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 6:01:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
1) don't have a trust: is one needed for sbr's & (at a possible later date) suppressors?

2) I can have all the parts available, jsut no assembly until I get the stamp?

3) without a trust, what gets engraved on the receiver?
View Quote

1. You don't need a trust, but it is very beneficial to have one. Without one you'll need to submit passport photos, fingerprint cards, and a signature from your county sheriff...and you'll have to mail in paper forms. It will take 3+ months to get approved. With a trust you can submit a form online, no photos/fingerprints/signature required, and get approved in 35 days.

2. You can have most of the parts...but not all. If you have them all you've got an unregistered SBR via constructive possession. What I tend to do is build the lower, and once the stamp is in hand then I order the upper. Snap it on, and done. There is a mountain of info about CP here on arfcom, with a million ins and outs and tricks...feel free to research those, but with the above method you'll be fine.

3. I presume, your name and city/state...but I could be wrong. I never even considered any other path than a trust. Its worth it for approval speed alone...

If you really want to learn about this, go in the armory / class 3 subforum. That's where the knowledge is. Whether you leave the state to make your SBR is completely up to you. You don't HAVE to do anything...but if you are adverse to jumping through ridiculous hoops I'd recommend avoiding NFA weapons all together.

If you are going to take the plunge, I'd suggest spending several days reading all the info you can find, and then making up your own mind. Whatever you do, keep in mind that "some people on the internet said it was legal!" is not a legal defense...nor is ignorance of the law. Tread carefully.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#32]
o.k., this is going to take some digesting, but I've got a line on some thoughts & want to see if there are any changes to my plan:

1) most of my parts for my 308 SBR are on the way..only thing NOT ordered are buffer, spring, tube & stock
2) first things first, I SHOULD establish a trust (probably going to need to be walked through this, too)
3) after establishing trust THEN work on either form one or form 4 (what's the main differences, please)
4) get tax stamp in mail
5) take receiver for engraving
6) purchase remainder of parts
7) fill out the 5030
8) take partially assembled unit & remaining parts to friend's place in OR
9) Assemble
10 DONE!!!!!!!!!!

simplest, most economical, yet most legally bullet-proof way to get a trust set up (I'm in the Lynnwood, shoreline area)

approximate cost of establishing an NFA trust

if I"ve got any of the steps above screwed up or forgotten anything, by all means, speak up...I may be slow, but I"ve got thick skin
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:56:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:18:25 AM EDT
[#34]
anybody have any experience with guntrustdepot.com?  I think I could swallow $179 a lot easier than $500
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Currently over at gearhog.com they've got a sale for a $59 trust from 199trust.com.

I snagged one the other day. Haven't redeemed it yet, but it looks like it kind of fits between the nwlawgroup's bronze and silver trusts in terms of flexibility.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:27:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:1) most of my parts for my 308 SBR are on the way..only thing NOT ordered are buffer, spring, tube & stock
2) first things first, I SHOULD establish a trust (probably going to need to be walked through this, too)
3) after establishing trust THEN work on either form one or form 4 (what's the main differences, please)
4) get tax stamp in mail
7) fill out the 5030
9) Assemble
10 DONE!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

2. It's super easy...use some of the links above, a basic trust should be less than $100. BTW, 'establishing' a trust is done when you've signed it in front of a notary public. Most banks offer their customers free notary services, this is a good time to use them.
3. If you're making the 308 yourself, then you use a Form 1. Form 4 is a transfer...where someone else made the SBR (or whatever) and you are buying it. Form 1 is for making it yourself, which it sounds like you are.
4. If you use eForms, the stamp doesn't come in the mail....it gets emailed to you as a PDF. Trust me, you want to use eforms. It's super fast....like 30-40 days. Mailing in forms? Yeah, more like 3-4 months.
7. The number is 5320.20....but yeah.

There are step by step instructions for how to efile in the Armory/General Class 3 subforum....use them, they work!

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:02:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

2. It's super easy...use some of the links above, a basic trust should be less than $100. BTW, 'establishing' a trust is done when you've signed it in front of a notary public. Most banks offer their customers free notary services, this is a good time to use them.
3. If you're making the 308 yourself, then you use a Form 1. Form 4 is a transfer...where someone else made the SBR (or whatever) and you are buying it. Form 1 is for making it yourself, which it sounds like you are.
4. If you use eForms, the stamp doesn't come in the mail....it gets emailed to you as a PDF. Trust me, you want to use eforms. It's super fast....like 30-40 days. Mailing in forms? Yeah, more like 3-4 months.

There are step by step instructions for how to efile in the Armory/General Class 3 subforum....use them, they work!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:1) most of my parts for my 308 SBR are on the way..only thing NOT ordered are buffer, spring, tube & stock
4) get tax stamp in mail
7) fill out the 5030
9) Assemble
10 DONE!!!!!!!!!!

I guess the only thing I'm worried about is the terminology of form 1 "Making"  and yet we live in this fubar state where we can't "make" one....see where I'm going with this?...think I over-analyze things?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I guess the only thing I'm worried about is the terminology of form 1 "Making"  and yet we live in this fubar state where we can't "make" one....see where I'm going with this?...think I over-analyze things?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

4) get tax stamp in mail

7) fill out the 5030

9) Assemble

10 DONE!!!!!!!!!!

Where does it say in state law that "making" is prohibited?  If it was against state law, the ATF would NOT be issuing stamps on Form 1's.  And yet, I have one.  No Oregon trip involved either.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Where does it say in state law that "making" is prohibited?  If it was against state law, the ATF would NOT be issuing stamps on Form 1's.  And yet, I have one.  No Oregon trip involved either.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
4) get tax stamp in mail
7) fill out the 5030
9) Assemble
10 DONE!!!!!!!!!!

it's the part that says all ways of having an sbr are prohibited except explicitly "aquiring and transfer" provided the transfer is done in accordance with federal law. If you think aquire means make, then by all means do what you want to do. manufacturing is definitely still illegal
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

The problem is that you're relying on ATFs interpretation of WA state law. There's nothing that requires the state of WA to interpret it's SBR in the same way ATF does. I'm sure if the state started prosecuting people, the ATF would cease issuing form 1s... But really, there's nothing stopping WA from applying an ultra literal interpretation of the law. Making isn't listed by name, hence illegal. That's not my personal interpretation, but that doesn't really matter. How prosecutors, AGs, and the courts, and the members of the jury  interpret it is all that really counts... And right now no one has any idea how those cookies will crumble. That's the primary reason for amending the current law a bit.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#41]
...and I'm not that confident in the interpretation of others that I want to be a test case/poster child

got everything done for the trust except the account & signatures, so tomorrow, after signatures, I SHOULD be able to begin the E-file of form 1?

I was noticing on the form 1, that a copy of the trust is required to be submitted: Just out of curiosity, is this commonplace for EVERY form 1, or just the first one?

obviously, there's been enough talk about e-filing, I know that is possible, just curious as to whether or not I have the trust has the ability to enter payment electronically, as well?

SBR now, what's next? suppressors? Move to a state that allows MG's & start on those, too?    you all are evil in your ways of corrupting people!
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#42]
yes, you have to send your scanned trust...and you have to do it every time you send in a form 1...and yes, payment is electronic. I use a 2% cash back card and score a free $4 out of the deal.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:07:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:SBR now, what's next? suppressors? Move to a state that allows MG's & start on those, too?
View Quote

Yes on both. I registered 4 SBRs the first day they were legal...and I'm waiting on my first suppressor now. My medium term goal is to get a promotion and move to southern UT...and then it'll be time to buy an SBS and an MG. So yeah, you're hooked and there's no getting out of it.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks like HB 1722 didn't gain any steam?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Jinkins didn't let a single gun bill out of committee.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#48]
My Form 1 is due back very soon and I'd really like to know what the deal is on this. I have heard ot both ways from multiple people/lawyers/gunshops/internet commados/LE.... Do I really need to go to OR to do this? How fucking dumb.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:35:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd like to apologize to you and others as well, jekbrown, because I was guilty of being an asshole when all that shit was going down.  I said some inappropriate things, fired up because of the situation.  We're fairly aligned in some of our views (from what I've seen of your other posts), and I regret what I said, because we should all be hanging together in this cause.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:07:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My Form 1 is due back very soon and I'd really like to know what the deal is on this. I have heard ot both ways from multiple people/lawyers/gunshops/internet commados/LE.... Do I really need to go to OR to do this? How fucking dumb.
View Quote

I would have to imagine there are thousands of "manufactured" SBR's in the state by now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top