Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2015 7:45:33 AM EDT
Update:  Looks like 4/21-4/23 is what the plan is.  Hopefully I'll be couch surfing with a cousin in Lynnwood.  The 22nd is all doc visits, but I should have free time the other two days.

Update:  I'm still waiting to hear back on the 'when' but it looks like I'll be staying with a cousin just north of Seattle.  Going to be interesting since I've never spoken to them in my life  Depending on doc schedule and timeframe for appts, I will hopefully just be taking the bus, but I'll have to see what everything looks like closer to travelling. Thankfully airline tickets are still insanely cheap.  I'll update again when the hospital gets back to me.  Thanks again for all the help guys.

Long story short, I'm probably going to be spending 2-3 weeks in Seattle for medical treatment come March or April.

I'm going to be on a very limited budget but could use some ideas to keep me occupied while getting poked and prodded.  Anything good to do on the cheap?  By cheap, I mean insanely cheap.  Hotel/air fare/rental are going to eat me alive.  (Edit:  Apparently in March, Alaska Airlines is quoting me $400 before taxes for a round trip)  The only thing beyond docs that I have in the works would possibly be a tour of the Bungie campus in Bellevue and maybe putz over to Rainier Arms to drool on stuff.  No budget to buy.

On that note, our insurance will reimburse $50 a day for a hotel room.  What is a good part of town that I won't get stabbed to death in?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Walking through Pike Place Market is always free.  Watching the street critters in the same area is also free.  A number of the museums in the area do some free days, but I don't recall exactly when those occur.

At $50/day, you won't find a room even in most of the "stabby" places.  Where is your treatment going to be taking place?  You'll probably also have to pay through the nose for parking if it's anywhere near the downtown/1st Hill/Capital Hill areas.  You could probably find some places in the $70-80/night range (before taxes) if you're willing to drive 1/2-1 hour in to Seattle.  (More if during rush hour.)

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#2]
The absolute cheapest I could find on booking.com for three weeks was the Crown Inn which is about $75 a day, and it is in the stabby area of town. I suggest finding someone to crash with. Where is the treatment? If it's in the suburbs that matters
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you talked to the place that is providing treatment?  Some have "houses" that they offer to family of the people receiving treatment at a VERY subsided rate.  I know for example Seattle Cancer Care Alliance has one in downtown Seattle is really nice and very affordable.  I know there is one similar for active duty and vets getting treatment near JBLM.

As for free activities.  Walk around Greenlake, nice scenery and people watching.  Walk around Pike Place like someone already mentioned.  Check into actives at Seattle Center, with the exception of going up the Space Needle I think there are inexpensive things to do.  Also the waterfront along the piers and the aquarium for example are fairly low cost entertainment.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, and I had no idea the hospitals had housing.  I'll have to ask about that when things get more towards getting actual dates/times out.  So long as I can get accepted, I'll be going to Swedish since they have a fantastic pituitary and tumor center.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Harborview can provide you with information about discounted lodging.
The Inn at Virginia Mason gives discounts also.
As mentioned, Pikes Market is great for wandering about and looking at the sights, as is Pioneer Square and the old downtown. Just be careful after dark.
My wife and I love to walk on Alkai Beach..bring your umbrella and good luck.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Here in Reno we have a place called veterans guest house.  They provide room and board for free to any veteran who is seeking treatment in any area hospital.  If you are a vet i'm sure they have something similar up in seattle.  Good Luck.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#7]
The museum of flight is a must see for not much money, you can take the bus from downtown and it goes straight there (google says bus 124) if you don't have a car. Otherwise enjoy the downtown waterfront construction, pikes place, and all the rest of the places you can get to.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys  Once I get more details nailed down I'll be back with more questions.

Oh, and I'll have to go to the museum of flight.  Always wanted to be a pilot, but unable due to medical.  Love aircraft though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:28:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey NorthPolar, sorry to hear about your medical situation.

I'm sure we can come up with some ideas for things to do. Pike Place Market is always good as John said. Also the walk down Elliot Bay to the Sculpture Garden and beyond is a good one on the right day.

There is always something to do at the downtown library and it's usually free. Go to http://www.spl.org/calendar-of-events and select 'Central' library. It's also a very cool building. Likewise, there is usually free/cheap stuff to do at the Seattle Center http://www.seattlecenter.com/events/. And also check http://www.seattleweekly.com/calendar/ (I notice lots of events with the keyword 'free').

The Bungie office is tucked away in a Bellevue mall but worth visiting if you have a contact there (awesome collection of Halo memorabilia too). Valve is nearby as well.

Swedish is a great hospital and they will take good care of you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:40:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey NorthPolar, sorry to hear about your medical situation.

I'm sure we can come up with some ideas for things to do. Pike Place Market is always good as John said. Also the walk down Elliot Bay to the Sculpture Garden and beyond is a good one on the right day.

There is always something to do at the downtown library and it's usually free. Go to http://www.spl.org/calendar-of-events and select 'Central' library. It's also a very cool building. Likewise, there is usually free/cheap stuff to do at the Seattle Center http://www.seattlecenter.com/events/. And also check http://www.seattleweekly.com/calendar/ (I notice lots of events with the keyword 'free').

The Bungie office is tucked away in a Bellevue mall but worth visiting if you have a contact there (awesome collection of Halo memorabilia too). Valve is nearby as well.

Swedish is a great hospital and they will take good care of you.
View Quote

Huh, I didn't know Valve was in the Seattle area.  Thanks for the ideas  Right now the plan is in the barest planning stages so it is entirely possible that I'll end up going to Houston and staying with my sister to save on hotel pricing.  The air fare is about 75% more, BUT not paying a hotel might be cheaper depending on how long docs need me.  I'll know more as we get it worked out on my end.

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:00:38 AM EDT
[#11]
My best friend manages the Imaging Technology Dept. at Swedish.
I'll ask him if he knows anything.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:53:43 AM EDT
[#12]
The ferry is pretty cheap if you walk on.  Take the ferry to Bainbridge Island, walk off and get back on.  The ride back is free.  The views are great.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:17:57 AM EDT
[#13]
The Museum of Flight is free on the first Thursday of every month.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:36:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Valve is in downtown Bellevue, right by the transit center. Be sure to arrange a tour before you show up.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:05:36 AM EDT
[#15]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:55:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The museum of flight is a must see for not much money, you can take the bus from downtown and it goes straight there (google says bus 124) if you don't have a car. Otherwise enjoy the downtown waterfront construction, pikes place, and all the rest of the places you can get to.
View Quote

I have a pair of guest tickets to the Museum of Flight if the OP wants them
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:19:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Valve is in downtown Bellevue, right by the transit center. Be sure to arrange a tour before you show up.
View Quote

I used to work in the building right next to it and never went in there, didn't know they did tours.

Not the cheapest way to eat but the fancy steak house there El Goucho has an amazing burger on happy hour for $12.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#18]
One of the great things in my opinion is Puget Sound. It is fairly cheap to walk on to the ferry and ride over to Bremerton.

When I lived in South King County I used to go out to the pier in Redondo at night and jig for squid with the mostly Asian people.

Would also look for open clam beaches and dig clams on low tides, but important to know where it is public, and safe.

The bus system is  fairly good, so it is easy to get around once you get the hang of the schedule.

Some of the beaches are fun to hang out on, Alki for example.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#19]
small update in OP
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:11:31 AM EDT
[#20]
"just north" of Seattle is a pretty broad stretch, know what town or hood?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lynnwood, I think.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:27:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Lynnwood, I think.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lynnwood, I think.
Subjectively, that's pretty far north of Seattle "proper".

On the plus side, everything should be cheaper.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#23]
So, depending on your treatment schedule and location, and if it is lynnwood might want to jump on Google maps and start brainstorming transportation and times.

It's a 22 minute drive, and can probably get over 40, and a bus shows as being about 52 minutes minimum.  Though a buck fifty twice a day would be a hell of a lot cheaper than a rental car.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So, depending on your treatment schedule and location, and if it is lynnwood might want to jump on Google maps and start brainstorming transportation and times.

It's a 22 minute drive, and can probably get over 40, and a bus shows as being about 52 minutes minimum.  Though a buck fifty twice a day would be a hell of a lot cheaper than a rental car.
View Quote

Good to know.  The center I'll be at is 550 17th Ave in Seattle.  I had no idea a bus ran that far out, but if I have time till my appointments I don't mind a bus.  The family might just give me one of their cars to putz around in while I'm there.  I'll probably get lost though.  First week I lived in Hawaii, I was completely clueless on directions.

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Oh, is there a good place to pick up ammo? I'd like to fly back up with 2-4 bricks of good .22 if I can swing it. CCI segmented, mini mags, etc.  I'm just not sure on my cousins political bent otherwise I'd just ship to their house lol.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Still have a pair of passes to Seattle's Museum of Flight if you [OP] wants them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#27]
If you got lost driving around Hawaii you are in for a real adventure trying to navigate downtown Seattle, especially trying to find the highway on ramps. I swear they hide them to keep the FSA captive.

We get taxed a ton of money for bus service to extend out that far so it is an option all the way out to the suburbs. If you do have a family car you are set.

I think everyone has hit on the main attractions. Pike place market, the area around the space needle, bungie and valve are in bellevue but you definitely have to call and schedule something and they may be busy. Although if you are there in the area during lunch time it is easy to pick out the employees based on their branded shirts usually. There are a lot of smaller game companies in the region too.

The only other free view I'll throw out is alkai beach in west Seattle. It is annoying getting over there but the view of Seattle is pretty cool. There's also that view on queen Anne hill, I think that one is called Kerry park?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

snip There's also that view on queen Anne hill, I think that one is called Kerry park?
View Quote
Yup.  

Girl I dated for a while used to live right around the corner, and I'd have to park there due to the complete lack of parking on QA.  

Slightly ghetto at night especially after the bars let out and everyone goes there to smoke weed.  

Ex chick almost had to cut some fools up that got froggy one night.

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:12:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Alrighty, so it looks like I'll be flying in the 21st, doc appts are all the 22nd and flying back out on the 23rd around 6pm.  I've still got to buy the tickets and whatnot, but it is a step in the right direction.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:37:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Jesus, that does not leave much time to look around does it...
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Jesus, that does not leave much time to look around does it...
View Quote

Nope, but trying to keep things cheap.  Not to mention it is going to be awkward as hell crashing on the couch of a cousin I've never met or spoken to.  Potentially taking the 10pm flight back to AK wednesday night.  Depends what the insurance will cover really.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#32]
About all you'll see is the Sound.  Request a starboard seat in-bound and port out-bound.
What part of N Seattle?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#33]
So tickets have been purchased.  Not the most comfortable plan but the cheapest I could get.

Flying into Seattle on the morning of the 22nd around 7am.  Doc appointment is downtown (Swedish Cherry Hill campus) at 1-5pm ish.  Return flight is at 10pm.  (lets just say 8pm for checkin)

I was looking at using Uber to get around, but I was informed there is a train to get around Seattle now.  Gotta look up routes/costs for that.

Unfortunately this also means that almost all sightseeing is out unless I can find something within walking distance of the clinic before my appointment.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:19:43 AM EDT
[#34]
The train doesn't really go by cherry hill you'll have to take a bus/taxi/uber for part of it no matter what, it will get you close but its probably 3/4-1 mi walk uphill. You might be able to do the train then get a bus though.

Eta: if you're trying to save money it is probably the cheapest way to get from the airport to downtown, its fairly fast too. Just use Google maps and click transit and it will tell you the stops/bus you need
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:01:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The train doesn't really go by cherry hill you'll have to take a bus/taxi/uber for part of it no matter what, it will get you close but its probably 3/4-1 mi walk uphill. You might be able to do the train then get a bus though.

Eta: if you're trying to save money it is probably the cheapest way to get from the airport to downtown, its fairly fast too. Just use Google maps and click transit and it will tell you the stops/bus you need
View Quote

I'm having to borrow every penny for this trip from my family, so cheap is good.  And good to know about google maps, I didn't know that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#36]
You can take the light rail train from SeaTac to the bus tunnel in downtown Seattle, then transfer to a bus to get to the clinic.

The bus tunnel is only a few blocks from Pike Place Market, so with a little planning you might be able to squeeze in a visit before your appointment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top