Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2015 2:27:58 AM EDT
I would happily pay $100 and drive over an hour so that I could shoot freely in a public spot!!!!

The old thread is too old to be relevant.

I don't litter. I am 100% safe. I just want to relax in nature and shoot into a natural berm. I am already a member at Kitsap rifle and revolver club and I can usee their tactical bays but I want more seclusion and no ranger Rick judging me or letting me know that someone else is waiting.

Would happily pay a farmer for use of 3 acres just to camp in the woods and shoot recreationally. I do not care.

Any ideas? Public forests? deer lease orgs?
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:36:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Tahuya State Forest
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 4:03:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh ha so that place is gtg? Special rules? spots? Do you shoot there?
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Capitol Forest, many gravel pits up in the mountains.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're near Kitsap you can drive out to the Olympics an hour and there are several ranges like you describe.  One is just beyond the Mt. Zion trailhead.  Its huge.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.waguns.org/rangemap.html

There are definitely places not on that map but that gives an idea in a lot of places, what area are you in?

Eta kitsap has a few options, south to capital forest or east of shelton, north to several spots near quilicene all the way up to sequim if you head in to the forest land.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tahuya State Forest
View Quote

I'm not sure how true this actually is. It seems like the rules around Tahuya change every year. Just two years ago I had a DNR truck come out onto the trails and demanded that I stop shooting. I had driven out in my Jeep through the trails, and was shooting from a high spot down into the center of a low point in a clearing. It was a high enough angle that the ground itself was essentially the backstop, and I was not on the trail itself (former DNR rules said you cannot shot "from or across" a trail). DNR guy didn't care and threatened to call the Sheriff if I didn't stop.

In the past I also have shot in the gravel pit inside Tahuya which WAS accessible by road. I had a couple tweakers one day roll up on me on their beat up old dirtbikes, and started commenting on my guns and asking to see them (wtf seriously). I said "no thanks, I would just like to continue shooting, have a nice day." They wouldn't leave the area and continued to watch me while mumbling to each other in low voices that I couldn't hear. I packed up my crap and left before I got robbed.

I have also run into some homeless camps in areas around Dewatto that were on the public lands map and looked good on Google Earth.. When I got out there I found beat up trailers parked in clearings/pits, and loose, aggressive pitbulls. No joke. This was all on public land.

Tweakers have really fucked up a lot of our good shooting spots in the Kitsap area. I'm lucky to have a good spot 15 minutes near my house north of Key Peninsula, but even then I've run into people literally smoking meth in their truck on the trail out the pit.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Tahuya State Forest
View Quote

Please don't shoot the dirtbikers, it's a motorized recreational area.

You can shoot all of the quadtards you want.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#9]
So driving myself down to the Okympic nation forest( not park) northeast section and picking me a random national forest road to get lost on is a good idea?

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would happily pay $100 and drive over an hour so that I could shoot freely in a public spot!!!!

I don't litter. I am 100% safe. I just want to relax in nature and shoot into a natural berm. I am already a member at Kitsap rifle and revolver club and I can usee their tactical bays but I want more seclusion and no ranger Rick judging me or letting me know that someone else is waiting.

Would happily pay a farmer for use of 3 acres just to camp in the woods and shoot recreationally. I do not care.

View Quote

Fed.
The dirt bikers ruin it for everybody.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make the first shot count as you wont hear the second shot from the quad operator
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:33:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Make the first shot count as you wont hear the second shot from the quad operator
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They both Bethlehem look out for the Jeepers.

I have shot out at Capitol as well, it's a beautiful place and easy to find a safe area to shoot at.
I'm sure I had people wondering what war hat started when I was out there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:38:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Fed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fed.

Funny, seeing as how it's an off road area, not a shooting range.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tahuya State Forest
View Quote

Good luck with that.

I've been kicked out by Pope lumber and angry locals (who apparently watch the land for them?) more times than I can count.

That plus the illegal mexican brush pickers and the crack heads have really made me just head to the range.

I stopped trying and I miss the days of the open gravel pit. Shame some bad apples ruin it for everyone.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:17:23 AM EDT
[#15]
drive out to yakima, the wenas wildlife area has a well known shooting spot. you could shoot over 1km if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
drive out to yakima, the wenas wildlife area has a well known shooting spot. you could shoot over 1km if you wanted to.
View Quote

Big thing to watch out for there are seasonal closures - both total closures, and hour restrictions, depending on the time of year and fire situation.   The website for the area is usually pretty up to date for that info.

There are still quite a few places you can shoot off I-90, but the FS stopped hosting the PDF maps showing where the no-shoot areas are.   Not sure if there is another source; maybe I should dig them up and post them somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:25:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ah, the L.T. Murray shooting area.....

From another forum, someone posted the description how to get out there.....
I dont know there is an address. It is in Selah, WA. From Selah take the N Wenas Rd to Sheep Company Rd. Take Sheep Co till the pavement ends. About 1 mile up there is a road on the right (the first one) take a right and you will be at the range area, http://mapq.st/h/6-04hp

Oh, you would need a Discovery (or is it Discover) Pass to get out there....or risk a ticket.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#18]
You guys don't think picking a random road in the north eastern Olympic national forest would be fruitful? Like after searching on Google maps?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You guys don't think picking a random road in the north eastern Olympic national forest would be fruitful? Like after searching on Google maps?
View Quote

You can't shoot directly on or near a FS road.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you're near Kitsap you can drive out to the Olympics an hour and there are several ranges like you describe.  One is just beyond the Mt. Zion trailhead.  Its huge.
View Quote

Does anyone have the coordinates for this?? Name of the FS Road.??
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the USFS page for the Mt Zion trailhead:

Take the Lords Lake Road 1.5 miles north of Quilcene on U.S. Highway 101. Follow Lords Lake Road to the lake and turn left onto FS Road #28. Continue on FS Road #28 to Bon Jon Pass.  Stay to right at Bon Jon Pass and drive approximately two miles to the trailhead

So go up Lords Lake Loop road from Highway 101.
The pavement ends about at the reservoir.  Follow it to the left past the reservoir.
Stay on the main FS road (Road 28), in other words, don't venture down some lesser road.
There are two intersections where it seems ambiguous- go right at each.
When you see the parking area for the Mt Zion trail on the left side of the road, you're almost there.  Stop and let the ladies use the pit toilet there.
Going past the trailhead the road begins a downhill roll, after a mile or so, take your first available LEFT turn.  It's the first left turn so you can't miss it.
A couple hundred yards down that road you'll see a road going off to the right- DON'T turn right, stay on the road.
A hundred yards beyond you'll see the first big pit on the right.
If someone is already using it, go past and there's a huge rock wall with a smaller pit about 50 yards down that road.

ALSO: report back anything about these directions that didn't work, or anything else I could add to make them easier.

PLEASE bring a trash bag and clean up after yourself.  Too many places have been shut down thanks to slobs.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fed.

Funny how the 'shooters' blame the dirt bikers for fucking up the areas to take out the crap they don't want to pay to get rid of,  Asbestoes siding, computers,propane tanks, monitors, frigs, freezers, siding, tv's, waste oil and filters ...  I could go on and on.  
Never have seen a off roader with any of the above, yet seen and cleaned up a shit load with bullet holes.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:59:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

One day you'll learn not to post up shooting areas on ARFcom in public.

That will be the day when you want to go shooting at your favorite area and you find it overrun with all sorts of fucktards and then the following week it's off-limits to shooting.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:11:16 AM EDT
[#24]
B
Quoted:

That will be the day when you want to go shooting at your favorite area and you find it overrun with all sorts of fucktards and then the following week it's off-limits to shooting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That what happened to the Gravel Pit?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I totally agree, I have lived in kitsap my whole life and have always driven over to jefferson county.  first spot i had was 5 minutes from the brdige about 15-20 years ago, got too popular and trashed out, shut down.  next spot, used it for 10 years, was 15 minutes further out.  once again shut down due to dumping and people not picking up fridges, tv's etc that were shot. total mess. shut down.  I havent had time to scout new spots but this spot is probably next closest and about 45 minutes from the bridge, im sure its next on the list that in the next 3-5 years will get trashed out and shut down.  
You post directions to anyone that can read on here, your just asking for your spot to be used for dumping, or shooting and not picking up there stuff. If you want your shooting spot to remain open only trust your closest of friends...  Never think your spot is so far out people wont drive there shoot and trash it out.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

as with all other public land, good luck finding:

1) a clear line of sight for any decent distance
2) that isn't near a road and doesn't cross a road
3) and has a good backstop

they exist, but you'll do a LOT of scouting to find the ideal area.

you can use google / bing maps to try to find candidate shooting sites. it is really difficult to determine the actual topology though, you always have to check in person. what looks like a promising site on your web browser is often unusable when you get there. there are many roads on google/bing maps which simply don't exist when you get there. real disappointing to find a promising site on the web, drive up there and find... no road exists.

whiskey dick would be almost ideal, except for the fact there is always high winds there (which is why the windfarms are built there, obviously ).
it's possible there's less windy areas deep into the wildlife area but I haven't found any yet. if you like shooting in high wind, you have clear line of sight for many kilometers there.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:50:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Final straw for "us" was when the "Eastern European Gangsters" set up behind the firing line and started shooting their craptastic SKS's.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:22:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Yep I hate to say it, but keep specific locations to PM :(

Join in when the seattleguns or waguns do the cleanup events. People are disgusting sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:49:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I literally did look on google earth last night for about 3 hours trying to find a good spot.

I understand the hesitancy. I have screen captured the most useful info. Feel free to erase the specific info to keep the google searchers from flooding the good spots.

I have already gotten some good PM's. Thanks. I will clean up more debris than I came with, guaranteed. I am very safe. I will not disappoint you guys. I welcome anymore PM's. Much abliged.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#30]
The areas in the Oly forest DO get trashed, and I know for fact that it's the LOCALS that do it, by and large. People just don't load up their truck with a fridge, TV, and mattress and drive over an hour to get rid of it in the woods. People whose backyards is the woods, do that sort of crap.

That all being said, never go to a public shooting spot without expecting to take out several bags' worth of other people's trash. The only way we can keep these places clean is by organized cleanups, or picking up our own trash plus as much else as we can carry out.

I have never run into someone dumping crap myself. I would record plates and report ASAP. However based on some stories I've read on other PNW forums, I would be VERY careful about not making it obvious that you're doing so. Stories abound of people coming close to being assaulted over "narcing" in places like Capitol Forest.

I would also be careful about allowing yourself to get boxed into a pit or other shooting spot if you're there by yourself.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

People just don't load up their truck with a fridge, TV, and mattress and drive over an hour to get rid of it in the woods.

View Quote

Yea, not so much. I have seen people drive a couple hours just to dump old appliances or roofing material or broken up concrete out in the middle of nowhere.

Washington State would be better off if they started subsidizing the county transfer stations so dumping shit there was free.

How much money does the state waste pulling out old appliances?

Just pay for it on the front end instead of the back end.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I used to live in western Oklahoma and every small town had dumpsters that were the size of a semi trailer that were, located by the railroad tracks or city yard and these were open access 24-7 and free to the public. it kept people from driving into the country to get rid of that couch or stove. some had three or four of them, separate for yard waste, general waste, buliding materials, ect. something these towns around here should do.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I used to live in western Oklahoma and every small town had dumpsters that were the size of a semi trailer that were, located by the railroad tracks or city yard and these were open access 24-7 and free to the public. it kept people from driving into the country to get rid of that couch or stove. some had three or four of them, separate for yard waste, general waste, buliding materials, ect. something these towns around here should do.
View Quote

Thats a good idea. It drives me crazy when i see someones old couch or tv dumped on the side of the road... I once hauled out 15 tires from a local offroad spot that some ass clown had dumped there.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:13:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Join in when the seattleguns or waguns do the cleanup events. People are disgusting sometimes.
View Quote

How do you find that info out? I'd love to help.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 4:59:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Does anyone know of any good spots in western Washington in the Enumclaw, Black Diamond area that they are willing to share? My buddy's and I always pack out what we pack in plus some. Dont like going up to FS70 anymore, it has gotten so unsafe.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Does anyone know of any good spots in western Washington in the Enumclaw, Black Diamond area that they are willing to share? My buddy's and I always pack out what we pack in plus some. Dont like going up to FS70 anymore, it has gotten so unsafe.
View Quote

Take a map and go exploring.

That's half the fun.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That's half the fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's half the fun.

I have done that and the few spots I have found were private land or had to much of a elevation rise that it was impossible to shoot. I would rather help maintain someone's spot then wast more time look for spots.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have done that and the few spots I have found were private land or had to much of a elevation rise that it was impossible to shoot. I would rather help maintain someone's spot then wast more time look for spots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's half the fun.

The idea of just driving out and finding a spot sounds good on paper, but doesn't always work so good here.  Most of the FS roads have thick forest on both sides, or thick forest on one side and a 1000' drop on the other.  Most of them were made for logging and are kept drivable for future logging.  

I've been to the big pit in Capitol Forest when it was a dump and when it was clean(ish).  It's a whole lot easier to drive Waddell Creek Road than the FS dirt roads, so the population there is always going to be greater.  Within that greater population will be the lazy, dirty, and trashy jerks who don't care about the rest of us that might like to come back in the future, and they'll leave their trash.  Want to shoot your computer for catharsis?  Fine, just pack it all out with you!

Out in the Olys there are so many places for dirtbags to go dump their trash that they generally don't drive all the way to the shooting areas.  So if the shooting pits get trashed, it's one of us that's trashing it.  Garbage bags should be in your range bag next to your eye & ear protection, staplegun, and screwdriver.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:06:11 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

The idea of just driving out and finding a spot sounds good on paper, but doesn't always work so good here.

View Quote

Keep looking, they are out there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:15:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://www.vaq34.com/junk/28july08-shooting-range.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The idea of just driving out and finding a spot sounds good on paper, but doesn't always work so good here.

Oh now that is just a tease. Any clues on where that might be? Good looking spot.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and then again, sometimes it does.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
I stopped sharing my spots mainly from the loose lips sink ships policy. You can keep things clean but maybe your friends friends don't. Greenwater was one of my favorite places to go when I lived in Enumclaw. I stopped going when the homeboys and vatos started popping up. Having one guy shoot while the rest of your party pulls security gets real old.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I stopped sharing my spots mainly from the loose lips sink ships policy. You can keep things clean but maybe your friends friends don't. Greenwater was one of my favorite places to go when I lived in Enumclaw. I stopped going when the homeboys and vatos started popping up. Having one guy shoot while the rest of your party pulls security gets real old.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can understand were your coming from. I stopped going up to Greenwater after my wife was muzzle sweep by a 12 year old with an AR who's parent was drinking and not paying attention.  So now I just go to Tacoma Sportsman's Club and sometimes to the Tenino Honey Hole when everyone wants to get together. Until I get lucky enough to find my own spot or someone is willing to share theirs. But I dough that there are anymore spots up above Greenwater left to shoot at that are further than 100 yards.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Oh now that is just a tease. Any clues on where that might be? Good looking spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the forest.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:36:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

In the forest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the forest.

HAHA, I'm guessing Capital Forest.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#46]
After being consistently disappointed in my attempts to find places in the woods to shoot safely, I decided it was cost effective to join a gun club and shoot there.  I no longer have to worry about drunks, crank freaks, gangbangers, muzzle sweepers, or getting kicked out by some manner of law enforcement or forest workers.  I spent so damned much time looking for a place to shoot, it seemed that I spent more time searching than shooting.  So I gave up.  I still went out on the clean up day with a group of guys though.  It is disappointing to realize that shortly after our cleanup (three pickups filled with trash), the area was trashed again.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm convinced that idiots, perhaps even environmentalists, purposely dump every imaginable tire size and 5 gal paint buckets at the shooting spots with the intention of the area being shut down to shooters.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote

You guess wrong.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:26:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You guess wrong.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guess wrong.    

Well it was a roll of the dice with all of the forests in Washington.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to kind of watch the events sections on those sites, but I know they did the big greenwater pit last year, I haven't seen any planned this year, but I'm sure someone will organize one again when the weather starts getting nice.

Especially in the summer I'll only go to the greenwater spot during the week, not the weekends, too many jackasses up there :(
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top