Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2014 7:24:53 PM EDT
Back in 2011-2012 I taught a few classes on basic silencer design and fabrication.  They took place at the Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club on the weekend from about 12 pm to 4 pm for $20.  I started with filling out a sample ATF form 1 along with a slide show on basic silencer design (90 minutes), demonstrated how to make a baffle on a lathe (60 minutes) then finished with a demo of suppressed firearms on the rifle line.  For non-KRRC members there was an additional $15 for use of the range if they wanted to shoot; anyone can watch for free.  I haven't had a class for the last 18 months or so due to my schedule and being tired of lugging a 600 pound lathe to the range to operate out of my pickup bed.  I'm planning on obtaining a used 12" lathe that I can use indoors no matter what the weather is.

The only days available in September are Sundays.  I need 5-10 students.  The club gets half of the $20 fee for use of their classroom trailer and the rifle line.  My half of the fee covers gas, metal stock and ammo.  More than 10 people makes for a crowd around the lathe when showing how to make parts.  This class will not make anyone an expert on the lathe; I'm still a novice after ten years as I simply bought a lathe and learned how to use it while making my first silencer.  But the class will show how easy (or hard) it is to make a decent silencer.

I can set a firm date after obtaining the smaller lathe and reserving the classroom at the range.

Randy Bragge
(360) 440-5889
[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:06:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I might be interested. Not that I have a lathe, but for $20 I would still be happy to learn.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I already know too much.  Learning anything anymore would just hurt.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I already know too much.  Learning anything anymore would just hurt.
View Quote

I wish I was in your shoes.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know.  :)

Randy
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#4]
If I can get the time off I'd certainly be interested.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:05:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm certainly interested, we spoke a little at the suppressor shoot last month. I will contact you soon
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in.

Also, I just realized that I emailed you, but then never responded to your reply. So sorry about that! I was sure I had responded but nothing in my sent folder. My apologies.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The mini lathe I wanted  to buy for use in the class went to someone else.  Still looking.

Randy
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm interested... sign me up
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd be interested also
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd be interested . And probably could get a couple buddies .
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I would love such a class if there was some way I could get access to a lathe.  Without access to a lathe, the wouldn't do me any good.

Have you considered a smaller class that would include access to a lathe.  Of course, cost would have to be quite a bit higher to offset both use of the machine, and the smaller class size, but it would be something I would be VERY interested in.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I always bring a lathe to the class to demonstrate how to make parts.  But no actual parts are made in the class as I don't have the time to make quality parts that I can use in a silencer I'm building at the time.

Randy
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I am interested as well
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Ranb,
I completely understand.  I think there are many people out there who don't realize how valuable of a commodity the time of someone with skill and knowledge is worth.  When it can take me 40-80 hours to hand make a knife, and someone wants me to sell it for $150, I just chuckle to myself, and say "no thanks".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top