Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2014 6:12:35 PM EDT

God Damn, feed the needy, shelter the homeless, provide for the poor.
Bike lanes?  

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2014/04/seattles-new-bike-plan-ride-on-calmer-backstreets/

The plan calls for 474 miles of new or improved bike routes, at a cost of about $20 million a year for 20 years.  Half would be greenways, plus 102 miles of bike lanes separated from traffic, and 32 miles of off-street trails.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't worry, while they are spending your money on bike lanes you're being forced to pay more for car tabs...
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I think its time to make the bikers get plates and tabs to pay for this shit that I don't use instead of everyone getting stuck with the bill
Maybe most of the bikers that have to pay to play will then obey the damn laws and not blast through stop signs and run red lights then.
Damn you KA3B why did you post this now you got me all worked up
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Driving on rough roads, slamming into pot holes, I often wonder where all the taxes I pay for road improvement is being spent. Now I know.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
$400 million over the next 20 years, and who is paying for it?  CAR owners.  So not only do we get to have traffic issues with these bikes (even with bike lanes, they seem to cause traffic issues), we get to pay for their PRIVILEGE?  

I don't think even Amsterdam spends that much a year....

Why no "special sales tax" on all bicycles to pay for this crap.  We pay extra taxes on our car/truck/motorcycle purchases, so the precedent is there.  How about an extra 0.4% on bikes?  And then we can talk about "bike tabs" and plates too......
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Amsterdam spends about $30m a year and Copenhagen spent $50m last year on bicycle paths.

But bikes carry 36% of all trips in Copenhagen. You see all kinds of people cycling, and they aren't dressed like Lance Armstrong. More bikes than cars in many areas.

In Seattle, it's barely 4%, and given our weather and roads, unlikely to change. Spending $20m is just crazy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#6]
But look at NE 125th in Lake City, now that they changed it from two to one lane to add a bike lane there are so many more bikers..............

O wait there isn't a single fucking one because it's a huge ass hill.

Freaking Mayor McSchwinn
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Freaking Mayor McSchwinn
View Quote

Mayor McMiss could stop it if so inclined. Not a lot of difference between the two imo. Ones out, one isnt. Both superbats.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#8]
OK. I ride a bike a lot. For exercise. And I WANT to get a license, or pay a fee for road use, so people will shut up about it.

Its only fair to pay something. I already pay road taxes, including the federal money sent to the state for roads. And I pay for my car, gas tax, sales tax, etc. But I want to pay for a bicycle license at $50 a year, like my truck, so people will STFU. The non-motorized transportation requirement is federal law, as a condition of getting federal funds for transportation. its a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of that tunnel on the Seattle waterfront (they could have saved a $4 Billion by building the road on the top of the ground, but some genius....)

And yes, I carry when riding.  So don't throw shit at me.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Then go down town and try to buy one
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Small correction.
NE 125th used to be four lanes, two East and the same West.
Then about three years ago the outer lanes were repaved for bycyclers, forceing the auto's into two lanes.  
Then the two lanes fell apart and they had to be repaved.  All because of the byguys.

I've seen four of them on 125th, only one was going West.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey, I know...they could pay for transit with the money they make from the bike licenses, tabs registration. and insurance!
Make the bicyclists PAY, baby!

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I give Dexter Ave N as prime example of a moonbat wet dream of a street. It used to be four lanes, plenty of room for everybody. Now its two lanes, with bike lanes and bus islands in the middle with all of it swerving back and forth across each other. It looks like a neurotic schizophrenic designed it- on their worst day ever. Its a visual fucking nightmare. It used to flow, was a fast ingress and egress from downtown to fremont. 5 minutes on your worst trip- now its usually bumper to bumper from one end to another- 20 minutes at best. Did I mention all the cars have to wait in line for the buses to load and unload each and every block?

And dedicated bike lanes downtown? Like 2nd Ave? On the left- when everyday there are bikes in traffic lanes center and right?

What a joke.

Now, if I want to use a park I have to buy a pass. USER FEES. Let the fucking bikes pay for what they want. More taxpayers paying more money than ever in teh history of mankind...and they are still broke. W T F ???

Perhaps Mayor McMiss can borrow his husbands balls and shitcan McSchwinns biketopia plans.

But there is one sliver lining in that cloud. It will take me longer and longer...and the same work needs done so I will make more money doing it. Need a concert? I will be there, sooner or later and oh you will pay.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Then go down town and try to buy one
View Quote

I live in Skagit, up-river. "Downtown" is a gravel pit and volunteer fire department. What's a bike lane?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:05:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if they will consider a bike registration to help pay for it?  My guess is the cost will be offset by increased car tab fees.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Amsterdam spends about $30m a year and Copenhagen spent $50m last year on bicycle paths.

But bikes carry 36% of all trips in Copenhagen. You see all kinds of people cycling, and they aren't dressed like Lance Armstrong. More bikes than cars in many areas.

In Seattle, it's barely 4%, and given our weather and roads, unlikely to change. Spending $20m is just crazy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amsterdam and Copenhagen are also FLAT and require quite a bit less maintanence. It's incredibly easy to cycle in Amsterdam, as I rented a bike when I was there in 2004, got around everywhere downtown..

I would never try to ride a bike in Seattle since I'm not a "professional cyclist," way too many ways to get killed in a city with fucked up design and road maintenance.

For $20+ mil a year, better allow motorcycles to use the bike lanes too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:16:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always had the impression that Amsterdam and Copenhagen were much FLATTER than the Puget Sound area.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I always had the impression that Amsterdam and Copenhagen were much FLATTER than the Puget Sound area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. Between the rain, and the hills, bikes are of limited utility. Any of the climbs out of downtown towards the east, or north for that matter don't lend themselves to casual bikers.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#18]
For the amount of money road-bikers cost the public... They should have to have motorcycle plates & a driver's license with 'pedal-bike' endorsement...

I'll let insurance slide, since it's not required for motorcyclists either...

They should also be ticketed for traffic violations whenever they commit them - including by the redlight cams if possible....

Link Posted: 5/11/2014 7:22:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Spending 400 mil in tax payer money on someone's hobby is a sweet deal for tax payers.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#20]
That is awesome news. I love having safe places to ride my bike.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#21]
screw a license plate to their ass, make them get insurance, and tell them to get their asses into the normal lanes of traffic. There's no justification for doing ANY sort of mods to roads for bikers. It's totally unnecessary. Bike lanes just make it more likely that you'll be crushed to death by turning cars. That's ALL they do. If a bike is in the lane in front of me, or behind me, I can see them. Off to the side they are dead-bikers waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

screw a license plate to their ass, make them get insurance, and tell them to get their asses into the normal lanes of traffic. There's no justification for doing ANY sort of mods to roads for bikers. It's totally unnecessary. Bike lanes just make it more likely that you'll be crushed to death by turning cars. That's ALL they do. If a bike is in the lane in front of me, or behind me, I can see them. Off to the side they are dead-bikers waiting to happen.
View Quote

The LAST thing I want, is some 5mph biketard in the normal lanes of traffic...

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#23]
if your downtown roads are anything like our downtown roads in Portland, the bikes move faster than the cars...generally. Helps that they can blow through red lights right in front of the cops and not get in trouble...

At any rate, on fast moving roads, bikes belong on the sidewalk. They used sidewalks for decades with no apparent downside.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm not a huge fan of bike lanes but the protected kind do reduce fatalities by 90%.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm not a huge fan of bike lanes but the protected kind do reduce fatalities by 90%.
View Quote

You are talking statistics. Those are created anywhere but Seattle.

These counter culture idiots refuse to ride in their special lanes, they insist on playing in traffic. Wasting all that money and negating any alleged safety gains- Seattle ftw

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#26]
you may not be able to put a price on life, but I know for a fact that a few dirty hippies are worth a hell of a lot less than $400,000,000!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top