BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 23
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 4:14:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Michigan just legalized SBR's.  Hope WA follows suit.

Possibly talk to some of the people who backed their bill and get some pointers?

Michigan: Senate approves bill to lift ban on short-barreled shotguns and rifles
View Quote

I started a thread in the Michigan section to ask how they did it and how they obtained NRA support.  It seems they are doing the same things we are.  No idea how they convinced the NRA to help out.  I still can't get the time of day from the NRA on any pro-gun bill in Olympia.

Every time an NRA telemarketer calls me to beg for money I remind them that I can't get any help from them on my projects.  Until the NRA demonstrates some willingness to show some support for state level issues then I will not give them anymore than my dues.

Ranb
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 4:21:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I started a thread in the Michigan section to ask how they did it and how they obtained NRA support.  It seems they are doing the same things we are.  No idea how they convinced the NRA to help out.  I still can't get the time of day from the NRA on any pro-gun bill in Olympia.

Every time an NRA telemarketer calls me to beg for money I remind them that I can't get any help from them on my projects.  Until the NRA demonstrates some willingness to show some support for state level issues then I will not give them anymore than my dues.

Ranb
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly talk to some of the people who backed their bill and get some pointers?

Michigan: Senate approves bill to lift ban on short-barreled shotguns and rifles

Ranb

Which is sad because this is where the battle is being waged.  I understand that we need to keep up the fight on a national level, but it doesn't matter what the federal laws are if everything gets banned on a state level.  There's a reason Bloombergs group has been hammering the states.  I'm hoping some new blood can move into the NRA leadership that will use the same tactics as the anti's.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#3]
You guys realize that it will be more than having this legislation moved.

WA Voters Participation Lowest in Past Decade

Originally published Friday, November 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM

State’s 2013 voter turnout lowest in a decade

Despite the convenience of an all-mail election, state voter turnout in 2013 was the weakest since 2003.

By Jim Brunner

Seattle Times political reporter

Ballots were mailed to every Washington voter this year. But most apparently wound up in the recycling with the credit-card and magazine offers.

Statewide turnout in the November election was 44.5 percent as of Friday — the lowest in a decade.

With several thousand ballots remaining to be counted, that figure could edge up a bit. But it will remain the lowest turnout since 2003, when just 40.5 percent of voters cast ballots, according to Secretary of State Kim Wyman’s office.

Turnout is usually depressed in off-year elections, which don’t feature high-profile presidential or congressional contests to attract interest.

Since 1980, turnout in off-year elections has averaged 51 percent — which is what elections officials predicted turnout would reach this year. That compares with 79 percent in presidential-election years and 62 percent during midterm elections.

Dave Ammons, a spokesman for Wyman’s office, noted that unlike 2012 there were no highly charged issues like marijuana legalization or gay marriage on this year’s ballot.

Initiative 522, which would have required labeling of genetically engineered foods (GMOs), didn’t draw the same level of interest, despite record spending by the “no” campaign.

“GMO is a pretty abstract notion that required quite a bit of voter research, and the Eyman one (I-517) only vaguely interested people,” Ammons said in an email. “The tax advisory votes probably didn’t draw anyone to vote and, indeed, we heard from a lot of confused voters who didn’t understand the process of a nonbinding vote on something that already happened.”

The lower turnout was cited by the Yes on I-522 campaign as a factor in the initiative’s close defeat.

“We anticipated a likely lower off-year turnout in all of our strategizing about the race. But this exceeded our expectations and really was in many ways impossible to predict,” said Lisa MacLean, a political consultant who worked on the pro-I-522 campaign.

Backers vowed to try a similar measure in 2016. “I think an even-year electorate is more conducive to turnout among progressives and young voters,” MacLean said.

Turnout in King County was about 47 percent as of Friday, with thousands more votes waiting to be counted, according to King County Elections.

It was higher — about 53 percent — in Seattle, where voters decided a hard-fought mayoral race.

Turnout was lowest in Yakima County (37.5 percent) and highest in Jefferson County (64.6 percent).

Even with the relatively low numbers, turnout in Seattle, at least, was stellar compared with that in some other major cities.

New York’s mayoral race drew a record-low turnout of 24 percent, The New York Times reported.

And in Los Angeles, a mayoral runoff election in May drew a record-low turnout of just 23.3 percent, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Jim Brunner: 206-515-5628 or [email protected]. On Twitter @Jim_Brunner

View Quote

Also, see where the turnout was the highest.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2013 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I posted this on my Facebook page and tagged my local Senator (Ann Rivers) and Representatives (Brandon Vicks and Liz Pike). I got a response from Brandon that was encouraging.

"Thanks, HuskyKMA!  I look forward to reading Senator Hatfield's bill.  Seems like a good one."

I responded with a little more information on why it was a good bill, and how the current law makes little sense.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Any more updates?
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
SB 5956 - 2013-14
New bill text here.  It's just like the House bill.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2013-14/Pdf/Bills/Senate%20Bills/5956.pdf

Here is a sample letter. Please do not directly copy it.

Senator XXXXX,

I am writing to call your attention to Senate Bill 5956; a bill to ease restrictions on short barreled rifles (SBR). This bill is the Senate version of House Bill 1561 submitted by Representative Blake during the end of the 2011 session. House Judiciary Chairman Pedersen declined to give HB 1561 a hearing during the 2013 session due to the current political climate but indicated he would probably give a Senate SBR bill such as SB 5956 a hearing in the 2014 session if it reaches the House.

This bill has broad support. 14 of the 32 HB 1561 sponsors are Democrats and 7 of 13 members of the House Judiciary Committee are co-sponsors. WACOP’s is supporting the bill and the WASPC is taking a neutral position.

Short barreled rifles were unrestricted in Washington until passage of bill 2319-1994. The legislative intent of this bill did not give any reason why these firearms needed additional restrictions, but as of July 1, 1994 the only WA residents allowed to own SBR’s are those of us who were grandfathered in.

Judge Appelwick was a State Representative and one of the bill authors back in 1994. He was asked why the legislature needed to ban these firearms. He stated in part that; “We undertook a review of existing firearms regulations and attempted two things: a cleanup/update of the statutes and some modest additional regulations to dampen the cries for major restrictions.” and “In 1994 there was no objection to restrictions on short-barreled weapons like sawed off shotguns, and apparently there has not been any since. No one saw a purpose for them.” It appears that the only reason these firearms were banned was for some sort of feel good measure.

Public disclosure requests were submitted to each county in the State to determine what kinds of problems we have with these firearms. It appears that illegally possessed SBR’s are very rarely associated with any violent crime; at most a few were simply possessed in violation of RCW 9.41.190. There is no evidence that any registered, legally possessed SBR was ever used in a violent crime in our state. These firearms are every bit as suitable for use by sportsman and recreational shooters as their full sized counterparts. There is no rational reason for them to remain so restricted.

Our police will also benefit by passage of the bill. While police officers are allowed to possess SBR’s while on duty, they cannot purchase one for use as a duty firearm or train with them outside of a duty environment.

Federal law requires that an individual wanting to own an SBR obtain BATFE authorization prior to purchase and pay a $200 tax. House Bill 1561 would simply bring state law into line with federal law. Unregistered contraband SBR’s would remain illegal in Washington as they are everywhere else in the United States.

I would like to know if you have any reservations about these types of firearms. Would you be willing to co-sponsor the bill with Senator Hatfield? I would like to discuss this bill with you further if possible. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Respectfully,

Your Name
View Quote
Randy
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I get from the bill is they're pushing to legalize SBR's, but not SBS's? I was really hoping for both to become legal.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#8]
The SBS/SBR bill last session died, there was a backup SBR only bill that also died.  Representative Blake decided to go with an SBR only bill this time around and maybe add SBS if there is enough support.

The problem I believe is perception.  Who here has heard of a sawn off shotgun?  Everyone.  Who has heard of a sawn off rifle or even seen one on TV?  Probably very few outside of the gun owning public.  I've been collecting crime data for a few years and while I only have one case of a contraband SBR, there are many more illegal SBS’s seized each year.  I calculated based on the letters I got back from the counties that at least a dozen unregistered SBS are seized each year.  I've been told that my figure is too low.

If we get SBR in 2014, great.  We will work on SBS in 2015.  If we are very lucky we will get both in 2014.

Randy
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Randy, thank you for all your work on this, I will write my Reps.  Thank you once again for your work in the past on getting the supressor billed passed!
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Sent in my letter:

Senator XXXXX,

I am writing to call your attention to Senate Bill 5956; a bill to bring restrictions on short barreled rifles (SBR) in line with Federal Law. This bill is the Senate version of House Bill 1561 submitted by Representative Blake during the end of the 2011 session. House Judiciary Chairman Pedersen declined to give HB 1561 a hearing during the 2013 session due to the current political climate but indicated he would probably give a Senate SBR bill such as SB 5956 a hearing in the 2014 session if it reaches the House.

For the vast majority of this state’s history, short barreled rifles (when properly registered with the federal government) were legal to own.  It wasn’t until legislation was passed at the state level in 1994 that this changed.  Those with federally documented SBRs were allowed to retain possession of their rifles (and in fact many remain in the state today) but no more could be purchased and/or brought in to state.  Whatever the motivation was behind passing the law, the fact is there has NEVER been a recorded instance of a legal SBR used in a crime in the state of Washington.

Senate Bill 5956 will not change the ability of Law Enforcement to go after “bad guys” with illegal firearms.  Prosecutors and District Attorneys will still have every tool at their disposal to go after criminals who disregard the law and violate Washington State gun laws.  All this bill does is allow lawful collectors to own firearms already allowed at the federal law (after they undergo an in-depth background check).

As a bit of perspective, those wishing to purchase SBR’s must submit documentation to the Federal Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (BATF) providing details of the caliber, barrel length, and serial number of the firearm.  This information is placed in a database to track the rifle and lawful owner, and a background check is performed.  That individual is not able to take possession of the SBR until it is authorized by the BATF (the individual also pays a $200 tax).

The fact of the matter is that those wishing to purchase a SBR subject themselves to a level of scrutiny far greater than that required to purchase a firearm at any gun store in the state of Washington.  These folks are the very definition of law abiding citizens; going the extra effort to comply with the “law of the land” in order to properly own regulated items.

Passing this legislation would have zero financial cost to the state.  However, sales of registered short barreled rifles to sportsmen would bring in additional tax revenues to the state that is currently lost due to its prohibition.

Again, I would like to ask your support for Senate Bill 5956 to allow lawful collectors and firearms enthusiasts in Washington State to own short barreled rifles in accordance with federal law.

Respectfully Submitted,

tReznr
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sent in my letter:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Sent in my letter:

Senator XXXXX,

I am writing to call your attention to Senate Bill 5956; a bill to bring restrictions on short barreled rifles (SBR) in line with Federal Law. This bill is the Senate version of House Bill 1561 submitted by Representative Blake during the end of the 2011 session. House Judiciary Chairman Pedersen declined to give HB 1561 a hearing during the 2013 session due to the current political climate but indicated he would probably give a Senate SBR bill such as SB 5956 a hearing in the 2014 session if it reaches the House.

For the vast majority of this state’s history, short barreled rifles (when properly registered with the federal government) were legal to own.  It wasn’t until legislation was passed at the state level in 1994 that this changed.  Those with federally documented SBRs were allowed to retain possession of their rifles (and in fact many remain in the state today) but no more could be purchased and/or brought in to state.  Whatever the motivation was behind passing the law, the fact is there has NEVER been a recorded instance of a legal SBR used in a crime in the state of Washington.

Senate Bill 5956 will not change the ability of Law Enforcement to go after “bad guys” with illegal firearms.  Prosecutors and District Attorneys will still have every tool at their disposal to go after criminals who disregard the law and violate Washington State gun laws.  All this bill does is allow lawful collectors to own firearms already allowed at the federal law (after they undergo an in-depth background check).

As a bit of perspective, those wishing to purchase SBR’s must submit documentation to the Federal Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (BATF) providing details of the caliber, barrel length, and serial number of the firearm.  This information is placed in a database to track the rifle and lawful owner, and a background check is performed.  That individual is not able to take possession of the SBR until it is authorized by the BATF (the individual also pays a $200 tax).

The fact of the matter is that those wishing to purchase a SBR subject themselves to a level of scrutiny far greater than that required to purchase a firearm at any gun store in the state of Washington.  These folks are the very definition of law abiding citizens; going the extra effort to comply with the “law of the land” in order to properly own regulated items.

Passing this legislation would have zero financial cost to the state.  However, sales of registered short barreled rifles to sportsmen would bring in additional tax revenues to the state that is currently lost due to its prohibition.

Again, I would like to ask your support for Senate Bill 5956 to allow lawful collectors and firearms enthusiasts in Washington State to own short barreled rifles in accordance with federal law.

Respectfully Submitted,

tReznr

Edited to better suit my Dem Senator and respectfully submitted. Thanks tReznr
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Rep. Brandon Vick and I have been messaging back and forth on Facebook about this bill. He sounds like he's in. He did have this news for me this morning:

"Rep. Pederson was just appointed to the Senate, so the bill may actually have an easier time getting a hearing in the House now. We have not yet heard who his replacement will be as chair of the judiciary committee."
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I got this response from my Rep.

Hello Matt,

Not only am I in favor, I will be introducing the bill to allow both short barreled rifles and shotguns under the NFA, just like we did with suppressors. I will let the club know when the bill is filed.

Respectfully,

Jason Overstreet, Representative (42nd - LD)
Washington State House of Representatives
Phone: 360-786-7980<tel:360-786-7980>
Office: PO BOX 40600 Olympia, WA 98504<x-apple-data-detectors://0/1>
Visit my Web site:www.houserepublicans.wa.gov/overstreet<http://www.houserepublicans.wa.gov/overstreet>
Sign up for my e-mail updates<https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/WALEGHRCOVERSTREET/subscriber/new?topic_id=OVERSTREET>

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I got this response from my Rep.

Hello Matt,

Not only am I in favor, I will be introducing the bill to allow both short barreled rifles and shotguns under the NFA, just like we did with suppressors. I will let the club know when the bill is filed.

Respectfully,

Jason Overstreet, Representative (42nd - LD)
Washington State House of Representatives
Phone: 360-786-7980<tel:360-786-7980>
Office: PO BOX 40600 Olympia, WA 98504<x-apple-data-detectors://0/1>
Visit my Web site:www.houserepublicans.wa.gov/overstreet<http://www.houserepublicans.wa.gov/overstreet>
Sign up for my e-mail updates<https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/WALEGHRCOVERSTREET/subscriber/new?topic_id=OVERSTREET>

View Quote

Great news.  

I got fairly bland/generic letters from my congress critters saying "they would keep it in mind".
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Where are we at now?  Do we need more co-sponsers?  What needs to happen next to move this forward?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Where are we at now?  Do we need more co-sponsers?  What needs to happen next to move this forward?
View Quote

From conversing with my reps and senator the next step is the hearing.  Everyone I've spoken with is confident it will get a public hearing.  When it does we need to make sure we have plenty of people there to show support for the bill.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#17]
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/politicsnorthwest/2013/12/04/pedersen-likely-to-fill-murrays-state-senate-seat-walkinshaw-in-line-for-house/

With Murray the Seattle mayor and Pedersen taking his place as 43rd district Senator it looks like Walkinshaw is headed for the House.
After Pedersen’s selection, the real drama Tuesday night was over the appointment to fill Pedersen’s state House seat.

After a couple rounds of voting, the nod for that position went to Brady Walkinshaw, a program officer with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Walkinshaw is Cuban-American and gay, living on Capitol Hill with his partner, who works for the state Department of Natural Resources.
View Quote

When we find out who is the new House Judiciary Chairman we'll need to lobby him for a hearing.  Until then I will be writing more e-mails talking up the new Senate bill.

Randy
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:48:48 PM EDT
[#18]
What can I e-mail to my rep. (Sam Hunt) regarding this bill?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:08:49 AM EDT
[#19]
The new House Judiciary Chair will be Laurie Jinkins.  http://www.leg.wa.gov/house/representatives/Pages/jinkins.aspx  She co-sponsored the gun range protection bill during the 2013 session but also supported the background check bill.  I did not see anything else outstanding on her sponsorship record.  I sent her a letter asking to meet or speak to her about the SBR bill.

Here is sample of the letter I sent to Senators.  To make it for your Representative, change SB5956 to HB1561 and Senator Hatfield to Representative Blake.

Senator Hatfield recently introduced Senate Bill 5956 to ease restrictions on police and civilian possession of short-barreled rifles (SBR’s).   I am writing to request that you consider supporting or co-sponsoring the bill.

An SBR has a barrel less than 16” or has an overall length less than 26”.   Federal law requires that any individual purchasing an SBR obtain BATFE authorization to do so and pay a $200 tax.

Judge Appelwick (former Representative) claimed SBR’s were restricted by HB2319 in 1994 as an attempt to “dampen the cries for major restrictions”.  These restrictions did not appear to have been a response to any SBR associated crime nor intended to reduce crime in Washington.  There is no evidence that registered SBR’s are associated with any crime in WA.  Crime associated with contraband (unregistered) SBR’s is also extremely rare.

SB5956 is identical to House Bill 1561 which allows possession of SBR’s as long as they are registered in accordance with federal law.  HB1561 is co-sponsored by a majority of House Judiciary Committee members, the prime sponsor and 14 of the co-sponsors are Democrats.  HB1561 is supported by the Washington Council of Police and Sheriffs.

The WA police are authorized to possess SBR’s while on duty but possession while off duty is prohibited.  SB5956 would ease restrictions on the police as well as others who obtain BATFE authorization to own these firearms.  SBR’s are just as suitable for use by sportsman as their full sized counterparts.

I would like to know if you are willing to co-sponsor SB5956.  If you have any questions or reservations please let me know.  Thank you.
View Quote

Randy
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:40:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here is sample of the letter I sent to Senators.  To make it for your Representative, change SB5956 to HB1561 and Senator Hatfield to Representative Blake.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Senator Hatfield recently introduced Senate Bill 5956 to ease restrictions on police and civilian possession of short-barreled rifles (SBR’s).   I am writing to request that you consider supporting or co-sponsoring the bill. ...

In my opinion I don't think you should use the phrase "ease restrictions" with an anti-gunner or somebody sitting on the fence on the issue.  It plays well to a pro-gun politician and us, but an anti already doesn't like guns and likely doesn't see the need to make things "easier" for us.

Better verbiage would be to state that this the bill aligns Washington State laws with the Federal Government's restrictions on short barreled rifles.  To a moderate or anti that phrase/concept allows them to tell their constituents that they "support the second amendment" when "reasonable restrictions" are placed on getting a hold of firearms.  

Additionally, the antis already love the concept of background checks.  Use the heavily restricted nature of NFA to our advantage.  Highlight how many hoops you have to jump through, how the federal government performs an investigation and runs fingerprints, etc.  While you and I happen to think it's all bullshit, in the view of an anti it is comfortable territory.  Retarded bureaucracy is much easier for them to support/rationalize/vote on then a debate about constitutional rights.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Sounds like progress is being made....thanks guys.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:33:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Watching this with interest. Work and family may find me relocated to Washington next year and it would be great if I didn't have to leave registered lowers behind. May submit an email to some of y'all's House and Senate leaders giving them  the perspective of a future taxpayer.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I need to speak with Representative Jinkins.  She is the new House Judiciary Chair and as such is the person who makes our gun bills live or die.  I am trying to get a hearing for the SBR bill, HB 1561.  The previous Chair, Pedersen, refused to give the bill a hearing last session and would not in 2014 either.  I'm in district 35 and I think a district 27 resident is going to have better luck getting a meeting with her.

District 27  
Jinkins Homepage

If there is anyone who wants to help, please contact me.  It doesn't matter if you never spoke to a Rep before, I only need you to set up the meeting and go with me to it.  I can do most of the talking.  These guys are easy to talk to for the most part as they are part time legislators.

Randy Bragge
Belfair, WA
[email protected]
(360) 440-5889
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Contacted and sent to Rep Hill, thanks for all the work in putting this info together
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I emailed Sen. Frockt today.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Representative Jinkin's aide told me that she schedules meetings a month out so it looks like a non-constituent like myself might not be able to see her prior to the start of the 2014 session in January.  There has to be someone here from the 27th district that is willing to give her a call and ask for a meeting.  Anyone?  Anyone?

Randy
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Have you called Mary's pistols and asked if they would be willing to escort you in there?

Nvm, they are in a different district.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#28]
What about getting ahold of the owner of Surplus Ammo and Arms?  Their new store has a location in Rep Jenkins district.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks, e-mail sent.

Randy
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:08:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What about getting ahold of the owner of Surplus Ammo and Arms?  Their new store has a location in Rep Jenkins district.
View Quote

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:36:17 AM EDT
[#31]
AnthonyL just directed me to this thread.  I am so late to this.  Thanks for all your hard work Randy.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Representative Jinkin's aide called to tell me that she would not meet with individuals outside of district 27. Anyone else who is in Tacoma please call Jinkins and ask for a meeting.

Randy
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Representative Jinkin's aide called to tell me that she would not meet with individuals outside of district 27. Anyone else who is in Tacoma please call Jinkins and ask for a meeting.

Randy
View Quote

Could someone registered on Waguns make a post with this request? I can't believe we can not find someone from district 27 that can help.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Hard to believe that no one from Tacoma is oh here..... to bad I'm up in district 1.

Link Posted: 12/19/2013 1:56:00 AM EDT
[#35]
We are, just D28
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I found someone to call Jinkins and we have an appointment to see her on the week before the session begins.

It seems that Jinkins does not have the same kind of open door policy that Pedersen did.  She is also the only Rep I have contacted that has refused to see me when not in session.

Randy
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I found someone to call Jinkins and we have an appointment to see her on the week before the session begins.

It seems that Jinkins does not have the same kind of open door policy that Pedersen did.  She is also the only Rep I have contacted that has refused to see me when not in session.

Randy
View Quote

Maybe she should be reminded who pays her salary and who she represents when someone DOES go see her.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#38]
The time to do that is later, not when you are asking them for an effort they are not required to give.  

Pedersen is an interesting charactor.  When I saw him about the silencer bill he said he did not care one way or the other about it (he has never shot a gun).  When I saw him about the SBR bill he made it clear that he was not going to give it a hearing due to the political climate (probably Sandy Hook and the death of his bkgd check bill).  But he did claim authorship of what he admitted was a flawed bkgd check bill.  Not too many politicians will own up to mistakes like he did.  Kline, Kohl-Welles and Murray could learn do the same but they will not.

Randy
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 12:12:47 AM EDT
[#39]
You would think that liberals would want more SBR rifles, if its sbr'ed it automatically goes on the federal list of SBR right?
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Talked with Blake Wednesday and he is working the get a hearing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Rep. Sam Hunt's response to me last night:
Christopher,

It is doubtful that this bill will get to the House floor for a vote.  I do not see it garnering majority support.  The bill was introduced in 2013 and therefore, co-sponsors cannot be added to the bill.  And, I would be hard-pressed to increase access to firearms in our state.

Sam
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Please tell me you're going to/already have correct him. I don't see how they can believe a SBR bill would 'increase' access? It registers guns. That seems to be a direction everyone would like to go? No?
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Please tell me you're going to/already have correct him. I don't see how they can believe a SBR bill would 'increase' access? It registers guns. That seems to be a direction everyone would like to go? No?
View Quote

Indeed.   If anything else those guns requiring the ATF stamp is one of those gun-grabbers' wet dreams.  Cannot be more registered and tracked than that, let alone the extra taxes.  What's not there for them to "love"?   So, one more, among many, evidence that these people have mental issues.

Link Posted: 1/1/2014 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Pathetic response from Hunt. The rumor mill suggests he is on his way out though, but his replacement is no better.

http://the-governed.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-coming-rumble-in-22nd-jungle.html

Complicating the potential Democrat shuffle in the 22nd is the fact that the senior Representative from the 22nd District Sam Hunt has been missing a large percentage of meetings, not showing up for work, and may be contending with some significant health issues.  If this trend continues for Representative Hunt, he is also likely to be stepping down from his multiple decades as an elected official.  We’ve discussed his travails earlier this year as Speaker Frank Chopp (D-Seattle) has clipped Hunt's wings and has been reducing Hunt’s authority in the legislature noticeably this year.

The jockeying for position amongst the Democrat Party contenders for these seats is already a blood sport, even if only behind the scenes and away from the papers.  Who are the contenders?  What do insiders predict?

Most insiders expect  Chris Reykdal (pronounced “Wrecked-all”) to take the safe Senate seat and park himself there for a few decades.  Representative Reykdal tends to vote in lock-step with the King County Democrat crew.  He will have their blessing, and few obstacles in his path.  Anyone who names his children Kennedy and Carter is true blue and down with the Democrat cause.  Nobody can doubt his dedication and total acceptance of the Progressive agenda.
View Quote

Recent quotes on guns from Hunt and Reykdal

Hunt went on to call the National Rifle Association “evil,’’ and Reykdal said voters should encourage their friends and relatives who belong to the NRA to cancel memberships.

“This will be our colossal failure this year not to get universal background checks,’’ Reykdal said. “We will try with all our hearts again next year to get it done.’’

He also urged voters – “if this is your passion” – to help win more Democratic seats in 2014. Reykdal also suggested that a citizen initiative may be the way to break through on the issue.
View Quote

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/politicsblog/2013/03/16/local-democratic-lawmakers-defend-failure-to-pass-gun-control-bill-during-22nd-ld-town-hall/
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Most insiders expect  Chris Reykdal (pronounced “Wrecked-all”) to take the safe Senate seat and park himself there for a few decades.

Pronounced "wrecked-all"?  I think there is an easier, single word that does the job: RECTAL!  Perfect name for a Democrat!
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#46]
We need to be cautious about using registration of NFA firearms as a means to promote changing the law in Washington. The other side would love to be able to point to us as being in favor of gun registration.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#47]
The NRA is evil huh?  :)  Well, we could sure show up the NRA by passing the SBR bill.  The NRA is completely uninterested in the SBR bill as far as I can tell.

Randy
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We need to be cautious about using registration of NFA firearms as a means to promote changing the law in Washington. The other side would love to be able to point to us as being in favor of gun registration.
View Quote

I don't use it to promote. I use it as a counter-point to people thinking it makes guns "more accessible" as stated above.

I personally don't think NFA has any application to any firearms today. It is my belief that if a person is trusted enough to own a single-shot .22LR, he can be trusted with a .50 full-auto belt-fed. I am naïve, I know. But that's how I feel. All guns are equal, it's the person holding it that makes the difference.

Back to SBRs- they are registered, background checks and applications are done. Those who favor gun-control usually don't know the laws that we, the responsible gun owners and collectors, are made to follow.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Remember that you can comment on the bills online and request a response from your local politicians! Your comments are visible to all legislators in all districts!

Comment on SB 5956

Comment on HB 1561
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#50]
The most sensible way to regulate short barreled shoulder weapons would be to make them handguns for legal purposes.
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top