Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2010 10:41:44 PM EDT
I'm cuious if anyone has got the SO in Walla Wala to sign off on a suppressor.  I want to buy one, but not sure of the exact procedure.  Any tips would be great.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about Walla Walla, but Benton County and the local PD's don't have a problem with it. Call the Chief or Sheriff's office and ask if they are familiar with the sign off procedure. When I bought my first suppressor, the Chief of PD didn't seem to understand that his sign off was not the actual permission to own it. I showed him the form and explained that his signature was just verification that I could own one and had no arrest record or pending issues that would preclude me from owning one. Once he understood that the ATF had the final word, he didn't have a problem with the sign off.
If they are not familiar with it, find a class 2 or 3 dealer and get a copy of the paper work, ATF Form 4 (5320.4), or download a copy from the ATF web site and run it down to the station and have a talk with them. If they will do a sign off, figure out what you want, get it ordered and start the paper work and expect to wait quite a while. Once the dealer orders it from the manufacturer there is a wait until the ATF approves the transfer from the manufacturer to the dealer, and then another waiting period for the transfer from the dealer to you, which starts after you get the paperwork filled out, signed and sent in to the ATF with your $200.
I like using mine shooting ground squirrels in Idaho!
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Form a Trust, makes life a lot easyer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I went the trust route, the College Place PD would never sigh off on one
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 2/13/2010 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

+1   Got my can last weekend after nearly a year start to finish and now hafta buy the flashhider/adapters, but the trust was super easy. Even I was able to do it myself using EBRguys tutorial.

Link Posted: 2/13/2010 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1   Got my can last weekend after nearly a year start to finish and now hafta buy the flashhider/adapters, but the trust was super easy. Even I was able to do it myself using EBRguys tutorial.

Outstanding!
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link to ebrguy's tutorial? I've got a friend who can't get a sign off up near Spokane. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You didn't ask them on a saturday did you?
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 8:32:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now thats funny,

cannot find them on a Saturday, the donut shop is closed on Saturday

LOL

Link Posted: 2/14/2010 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#10]
So off topic a little, what are the rules on making your own suppressor?
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now thats funny,

cannot find them on a Saturday, the donut shop is closed on Saturday

LOL

I grew up there, and on saturdays, the only triffic light in town flashed. When Andy's market tried selling meat, they just about got shut down.

Link Posted: 2/14/2010 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Form 1, can still use a Trust or a corp / LLC, But DO NOT start to build it until you have it approved and stamp in hand
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Trust in the trust.  One in the safe and another in proces, just waiting on BATFE.  >:-)
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You want this forum.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Just so I have this straight:

WA 'suppressor law' is 'don't get caught firing the gun with it attached', (but you can own them, attach them, so long as you don't shoot the gun with it on) right?
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 11:25:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

WA 'suppressor law' is 'don't get caught firing the gun with it attached', (but you can own them, attach them, so long as you don't shoot the gun with it on) right?

Exactly correct.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 11:52:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Thanks...

Unfortunately for me, my 'Stamp' is attached to something that *IS* 100% illegal in Washington (a MG that wasn't in WA prior to 94)...

THAT gun lives in Wisconsin, for exactly this reason...

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 8:15:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks...

Unfortunately for me, my 'Stamp' is attached to something that *IS* 100% illegal in Washington (a MG that wasn't in WA prior to 94)...

THAT gun lives in Wisconsin, for exactly this reason...

To bad we cant ever get that changed back, I know a older guy here, that has a Thompson, M16, MP44, adn a MP5, that he cant even leave to his children, who would love to own them.

ETA, He has had a the Thompson, and MP44 forever, the kicker is hes even a retired FBI agent.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly correct.

The law is the same for LEO's in WA too but on May 7th 2010 the Surefire training division reps will be on hand to demo Surefire Suppressors
for the WSTOA and I'm sure they wont be just looking at the cans
Then tab to the choice "Demo/Range Day May 7th"

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 11:21:21 PM EDT
[#22]
so will a .223 work on a .22...?
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 12:12:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
so will a .223 can work on a .22 LR host...?

If this is what your assking
Yes but it will get lead buildup inside, get a take apart 22Lr
can so it can be serviced/cleaned.

Link Posted: 2/16/2010 12:33:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The law is the same for LEO's in WA too but on May 7th 2010 the Surefire training division reps will be on hand to demo Surefire Suppressors

Prima Facie evidence of some animals being more equal.

Link Posted: 2/16/2010 12:51:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prima Facie evidence of some animals being more equal.

1. Witness LEO(s) firing suppressed weapon(s).

2. Call 911.

3. ???

4. Profit!

Link Posted: 2/17/2010 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Even I was able to do it myself using EBRguys tutorial.

Quoted:

Link to ebrguy's tutorial?

+1

thanks!!!!

Link Posted: 2/17/2010 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#27]
If anybody would like it, just IM me an email address to send it to.
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 11:33:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Sorry to get a little off topic, but what are the laws concerning use of a NFA items in other states. I ask because I'm a resident of WA but I go to school in Montana and I'm looking into suppressors. If I go through the proper procedures back home, am I good to go in any other state where the item is legal?
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sorry to get a little off topic, but what are the laws concerning use of a NFA items in other states. I ask because I'm a resident of WA but I go to school in Montana and I'm looking into suppressors. If I go through the proper procedures back home, am I good to go in any other state where the item is legal?

Yes you are good to go in any other state where the item is legal.
Stay away from CA as they will take you and the can to jail then leave it to the court to decide if your good or bad.

Link Posted: 2/17/2010 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks guys. It would be getting a lot of use in North Idaho and Montana then.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 2:15:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Just remember, if going the trust route make sure you do it correctly, there are a lot of suppressor owning felons right now in the state because of a certain companies misunderstanding of trust law and suppressors.

Getting a CLEO sign off is a LOT more bulletproof!
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#37]
I going the Form 4 route for mine. It's also helps when you have connections to get the CLEO sign off too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I think he is more referring to DGS not having the Trust's they were doing notarized. Which made the trusts invaled, which inturn makes the posession of the supresser a no-no.

DGS got a LOT of forms back that they had to have fixed.

ATF to their credit on most bad trusts I know of have allowed the trusts to be corrected; those corrections normally dealt with home brew trusts were the trusties and benefactors were the same person making the trusts invalid as well.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just remember, if going the trust route make sure you do it correctly, there are a lot of suppressor owning felons right now in the state because of a certain companies misunderstanding of trust law and suppressors.

Getting a CLEO sign off is a LOT more bulletproof!

When FFL/SOT's NATIONALLY (Not just in WA) receive an Approved Trust Form 4, they MUST legally background check whoever picks up the suppressor on the trust.

When an Individual (not trust) Form 4 is received, NO Background check is required because the ATF has already done one on their end. (only a completed 4473 needs to be filled out by the individual, and the FFL/SOT checks the box next to: No background check is required because the transfer involves an NFA item)

I can see your point "IF" the trust has multiple members, who are not the person picking up the item.

Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If anybody would like it, just IM me an email address to send it to.

IM sent.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 2/18/2010 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I think he is more referring to DGS not having the Trust's they were doing notarized. Which made the trusts invaled, which inturn makes the posession of the supresser a no-no.

They what?!
I'm so glad I didn't let them talk me into doing their "fill in the blank" trust.

They kept insisting that mine wasn't likely to be any good, before they even looked at mine. At least mine was notarized when I handed it to them.
Top Top