Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2017 10:11:32 AM EDT
I took a "promotion" of sorts, and will now be working out of Laguardia/Kennedy airports in NYC.  For now I'm going to commute from DFW, but if this turns into a long term deal we want to move closer.  It seems PA is the only place around NYC I'd want to live, and I could keep my SBR's and suppressors.

I know a lot of our NYC based people live in Bucks county, can any of our PA people recommend any other areas we should be looking in?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I took a "promotion" of sorts, and will now be working out of Laguardia/Kennedy airports in NYC.  For now I'm going to commute from DFW, but if this turns into a long term deal we want to move closer.  It seems PA is the only place around NYC I'd want to live, and I could keep my SBR's and suppressors.

I know a lot of our NYC based people live in Bucks county, can any of our PA people recommend any other areas we should be looking in?

Thanks!
View Quote

Look at a map.  You want something with easy access to route 78 or 80, and absolutely no further out than Allentown. Upper Bucks is a nice area, but stay 'upper' enough in Bucks that you can get to 78 quickly and easily via 611 into Easton.  

If you want, PM me your other search criteria and I can pull anything that matches off the MLS for you.

ETA - there are also areas further south in Bucks where you can easily make a short drive into NJ and pick up either an Amtrak or NJ Transit train into the city, and then hop the subway to LGA.  Its going to be a long commute, but unlike driving, there's less risk of getting hung up in traffic and you can catch some sleep on the train.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, would this be a daily M-F commute during normal rush hour traffic, or off times/days?

If the former, I don't think LGA is possible in 3hrs from anywhere in PA within 3 hrs.  Manhattan, sure.  But LGA adds a whole 'nother level of "fuck my life" to the equation during peak traffic times.  I've done Allentown to Forest Hills in 2 to 2.5 hrs numerous times, but at off times when traffic wasn't too much of an issue.  And if you find any kind of commute that involves using the Cross-Bronx in any way, just save yourself some time and slit your wrists now.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also, would this be a daily M-F commute during normal rush hour traffic, or off times/days?

If the former, I don't think LGA is possible in 3hrs from anywhere in PA within 3 hrs.  Manhattan, sure.  But LGA adds a whole 'nother level of "fuck my life" to the equation during normal traffic times.  I've done Allentown to Forest Hills in 2 to 2.5 hrs numerous times, but at off times when traffic wasn't too much of an issue.
View Quote
I'll be on call, so the times will vary greatly, usually only one or two commutes per week.  We don't have a set time we need to be there after a call out, but three hours or so is the generally accepted time frame.  They know NY traffic is unpredictable, and deal with it accordingly.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in Upper Bucks (Springfield Township, Palisades School District), and I can on 78 inside of 20 minutes, and at Newark Airport in just about an hour if there is no traffic.  I can get to JFK Airport in under 2 hours on a non-traffic jam commute.

I get to NJ by crossing bridge in Riegelsville and catching 78 at exit 7 in NJ.  There's a gas station right there that I can fill up cheap and be on my way.  There are alot of places that put you close to 78 or even 33 (connects to 78).

Happy to answer any questions.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#5]
What's the property tax rate like in PA?  State income tax?  Any personal property tax?

We have pretty much decided that we need to move, now we just have to figure out where.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:15:14 PM EDT
[#6]
State income tax is 3.07%. There is no state personal property tax or real estate tax, but real estate taxes are collected by local government subdivisions and will vary by the particular municipality and school district.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Does it have to be LaGuardia??
PHL will get you most places and from where I am in lower Bucks, its under an hour.
If it has to be NYC, then I'd say Routes 80 or 78 just over the border.
Some great land / terrain up that way...probably under 2 hours to NYC under most nominal conditions, and of hours, much quicker.

Taxes (depending on what you are looking to buy) are usually under 5 figures...and in many cases under $5k.
As you get further in to the rural areas, housing prices drop off to become very affordable.

Reach out with any questions...I'll say 'welcome' in advance
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:01:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does it have to be LaGuardia??
PHL will get you most places and from where I am in lower Bucks, its under an hour.
If it has to be NYC, then I'd say Routes 80 or 78 just over the border.
Some great land / terrain up that way...probably under 2 hours to NYC under most nominal conditions, and of hours, much quicker.

Taxes (depending on what you are looking to buy) are usually under 5 figures...and in many cases under $5k.
As you get further in to the rural areas, housing prices drop off to become very affordable.

Reach out with any questions...I'll say 'welcome' in advance
View Quote
PHL was actually higher on my bid sheet than NY, but I'm not senior enough to hold it.  PHL is a much better deal, we only have to cover the one airport.  In NY, we have to cover LGA/JFK/EWR.  Getting between LGA/JFK isn't a problem, but getting to EWR was always a PITA.

I'm locked into this job for two years now, so our only options are NY or transfer to MIA when it comes open.  Don't have any idea how long that might take, so moving closer to NY seems like the best bet (and south FL houses are prohibitively expensive, at least anywhere we would want to live).  I'll commute to NY until we get everything figured out, but living in a crash pad is a shitty deal all the way around.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you have kids?  Is school district important to you?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:11:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do you have kids?  Is school district important to you?
View Quote
Schools are important.  My wife has one in middle school, and we have one that will start school in a few years.  

My wife came up with this fantasy last night, that we rent our place here, and move into an apartment in NYC.  No way I'll ever be onboard with that plan.  I was based there before, and enjoy spending time there, no way in hell I'd ever live there.  And it would probably absorb the entire raise I'm getting, just to live there.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Schools are important.  My wife has one in middle school, and we have one that will start school in a few years.  

My wife came up with this fantasy last night, that we rent our place here, and move into an apartment in NYC.  No way I'll ever be onboard with that plan.  I was based there before, and enjoy spending time there, no way in hell I'd ever live there.  And it would probably absorb the entire raise I'm getting, just to live there.
View Quote
I would suggest living in either the Palisades School District, Southern Lehigh School District, or Parkland School District.  These 3 up near me are top rated school districts, particularly in the middle/high schools.  Small town America values are prevalent here, there's not a ton of racial diversity, but I've never encountered any problems whatsoever nor have my kids (we're a bi racial Asian/Caucasian family).
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#12]
There are quite a few people that live in NEPA and commute into NYC regularly.
Anything close to 81/84/380 is going to make live easier.
All depends on how much  you want to spend.

I know a great realtor up here that works with people relocating for work. When we moved to Texas sod our house for asking price in one week.
I can PM you his details if you like.

Cheers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top